Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins the champ this year?
This poll is closed.
A contracted Cleveland Cavs team. 4 4.60%
DUNK CITY'S REVENGE 4 4.60%
Not Gonzaga 5 5.75%
gently caress Duke 47 54.02%
Not your team, that's for sure 15 17.24%
Your 10 y/o niece's bracket pick 12 13.79%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Ohio State is beating the poo poo out of Purdue Fort Wayne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/heady_chris/status/1062022736242008066

Get the gently caress in :v:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

hey hey hey looks like scott frost day comes twice for the huskers

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
So this re-purposed a little bit from my Smoking Musket conference preview. Projected finish is from me. Here's also the breakdown for my predictions on post-season:

NCAA: Kansas, Kansas State, WVU, TCU, Iowa State
Bubble Squads: Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor
Sitting Home: Oklahoma State

Baylor Bears
Last Season 19-15 (8-10); 9th Place BIG XII; NIT R16
Predicted Conference Finish: 9th
Key Player: Mario Kegler

Takeaway Baylor was an extremely strange team in 2017-18. Despite a lot of talent, they had injury trouble and were wantonly inconsistent, but improved towards the end of the season. This looks to be a major rebuilding year for the Bears, however, and in this conference that’s a recipe for a rough season. Still the Bears will be a tough out for anyone and could be a surprise.
-

Iowa State Cyclones
Last Season 13-18 (4-14); 10th place BIG XII
Predicted Conference Finish: 5th
Key Player: Lindell Wigginton

Takeaway Last year was absolutely a year the Cyclones would like to forget, and they should be an improved team with the return of Lindell Wigginton and a strong group of newcomers that include a couple of highly touted transfers. That said, the Cyclones have questions including the status of talented big man Cameron Lard and their ability to score outside of Wigginton.
-

Kansas Jayhawks
Last Season: 31-8 (13-5); BIG XII Champions; NCAA Final 4
Predicted Conference Finish: 1st
Key Players: Dedric Lawson

Takeaway Kansas is far and away the most talented team in the league. They have all three things you need: key role players with lots of experience, depth with talented freshmen, and a got one of the best transfers going in Lawson. They might stumble somewhere along the way, but not enough that they won't secure another league title and a very high seed.
-

Kansas State Wildcats
Last Season 25-12 (10-8); 4th place BIG XII; NCAA Elite 8
Predicted Conference Finish: 3rd
Key Players: Dean Wade

Takeaway How this team made the Elite 8 remains an utter loving mystery to me. Still they have basically their entire team back, including talented and versatile Dean Wade; but let’s be real this is a Bruce Weber coached team. They could just as easily beat Kansas and then lose to like, I don’t know, Texas A&M Corpus Christi.
-

Oklahoma Sooners
Last Season:18-14 (8-10); 8th place BIG XII, NCAA R64
Predicted Conference Finish:7th
Key Players: Brady Manek

Takeaway I think the absolute world of Lon Kruger. He’s one of the best coaches in the nation; but going 18-14 with Trae Young was the strangest thing in the world. The Sooners lost a lot of talent, either to graduation, the NBA Draft, or transfers and while they have a excellent recruiting class in the wings, this year will be a transitional year for the Sooners. Still its hard to imagine with Kruger’s coaching ability this team falling too far off the wagon.
-

Oklahoma State Cowboys
Last Season 21-15 (8-10); 6th place BIG XII, NIT
Predicted Conference Finish: 10th
Key Players: Cameron McGriff

Takeaway The Cowboys were a fantastic story in 2017-18 and were, quiet frankly, far more deserving of an NCAA tournament bid than a number of teams that got in from their own conference. This year though? Well, um. [shuffles papers around] Cameron McGriff is back! That’s about it in terms of production from a season ago.
-

Texas Longhorns
Last Season 19-15 (8-10); 7th place BIG XII, NCAA R64
Predicted Conference Finish: 8th
Key Players: Andrew Jones*

Takeaway I think it’s fair to say the Shaka Smart Era has been a disappointment. If you read this form, you should now how I feel about this, but for those of you who don’t — despite being heralded as the Next Big Thing, Smart has never managed more than 20 wins (his first season with Rick Barnes(!) recruits, and never gotten past the first round of the NCAA.) His continued future at Texas could hinge on the health of talented guard Andrew Jones, who is battling back from a mid-season leukemia diagnosis. To be clear, Texas has a lot of talent, but that’s been true virtually every year under Smart.
-

TCU Horned Frogs
Last Season 21-12 (9-9); 5th place BIG XII, NCAA R64
Predicted Conference Finish: 4th
Key Players: Jaylen Fisher

Takeaway People laughed when Jamie Dixon bolted from Pitt in 2016. Not me. He’s a great coach and recruiter and taken bottom dweller TCU to new heights. Though they lose versatile big Vlad Brodziansky, Jaylen Fischer returns, having missed the end of the season with an injury, along with other talent.
-

Texas Tech Red Raiders
Last Season 27-10 (11-7); 2nd Place BIG XII, NCAA Elite 8
Predicted Conference Finish: 6th
Key Players: Jarrett Culver

Takeaway The Red Raiders were a surprise team in 2017-18, and made it to the Elite 8, and though they’re bringing in some talented transfers in Matt Mooney from South Dakota and Tariq Owens from St. John’s, it’s going to be all but impossible to replace Keenan Evans and Zaire Smith as the Raiders fall back in the back.
-

West Virginia Mountaineers
Last Season 26-11 (11-7); 3rd Place BIG XII, NCAA Sweet 16
Predicted Conference Finish: 2nd
Key Players: Beetle Bolden

Takeaway Losing Jevon Carter is a big deal. None of WVU's guards outside of Beetle Bolden has ran a college point before, and that is going to continue to be a huge issue for this team, despite of its strength in the front court. How well the other players come along, and how well Bolden's wrist injury progresses could be the difference in a solid second place squad or scraping enough wins together to stay off the bubble.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Y'all have a dude named Beetle? That owns

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Big 12 is the worst conference in the nation and Kansas will win yet another conference title

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Big 12 is the worst conference in the nation and Kansas will win yet another conference title

This is laughably false.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Mighty threat the SEC.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

Mighty threat the SEC.

right

the only league that even comes close to be as solid top to bottom is the ACC

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

right

It is annoying af how NO ONE can finish Kansas though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You may get your wish the lovely way if the NCAA takes away De Sousa's games

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The NCAA should show-cause Bill Self imo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is laughably false.

Huggy couldnt beat Kansas

Buddy couldnt beat Kansas

Iowa st couldnt beat Kansas

No one can beat Kansas

The Big 12 is poo poo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As if the NCAA was anything like an actual court of law.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Huggy couldnt beat Kansas

Buddy couldnt beat Kansas

Iowa st couldnt beat Kansas

No one can beat Kansas

The Big 12 is poo poo

This is the dumbest post in a forum full of dumb posts.

"Hello I am a moron, here's my fact-free opinion."

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

People know Kansas has shared the title before, right? Like, it's not as if teams haven't equaled KU's success in a season. And I still count it as extreme luck that the Jayhawks escaped having to play Blake Griffin due to injury.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Survived Kevin Durant though and he was much scarier.

KD and Steph were the most unconscious shooters I've seen KU play in 40 years of watching. And now they're on the same team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

And I still count it as extreme luck that the Jayhawks escaped having to play Blake Griffin due to injury.

Christ this humblebrag. Yeah it's insane that things have gone on so long, also remember when Blake Griffin didn't play against Kansas a decade ago?

I am probably missing your joke on reflection. Maybe.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is the dumbest post in a forum full of dumb posts.

"Hello I am a moron, here's my fact-free opinion."

seems like an overreaction tbh

I don't like Kansas at all but it's very funny that they are gonna keep winning the conference until whenever everyone gets mad enough at Texas for it to implode

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry, what I meant to say was, "lol git gud"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

I don't like Kansas at all but it's very funny that they are gonna keep winning the conference until whenever everyone gets mad enough at Texas for it to implode

The day Texas decides to actually care about and commit to basketball will be like the day the Kraken was released. Probably won't happen until after the G-League swallows college basketball though

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Get this poo poo football game off my screen ESPN you jerks

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Ayo Dosunmu is the real deal. This Illini/Georgetown game is good.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

right

The Big 12 probably scrapes this because it doesn't have any particularly bad teams but the top-to-middle of the ACC this year is a meat grinder. Duke / UNC / Virginia / Syracuse are all Final Four caliber teams, Clemson / Florida State / Miami can hang with them, and NC State and Virginia Tech might join them if things gel right.

On the bottom end, Georgia Tech / Wake / Pitt are all bad, but not likely to be as embarrassing as Wake last year or the BC squads the couple years before that. Should be a good season, apart from Duke and UNC being as good as they look so far of course.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan is destroying Nova now that Donte DiVincenzo is no longer a threat

They were up 44-17 at the half in Villanova

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Lmao that’s about the same score as Duke - Eastern Michigan at the half

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
The flagrant they just called on Simpson is one of the most baffling things I've ever seen

I guess if you get a steal and are going the other way for a lay up, and the other player just grabs your arm to prevent it, but you don't immediately release his arm from the crook of your elbow in order to make sure you draw the call, it's a flagrant 1

to be clear I mean, I think it was the right call based on the rule, I just had no idea this was actually a rule

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I want Duke as far on the other side of the bracket as possible.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

the big xii has litterally been top ken pom conference like five years in a row

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hot Take: Duke has a very good team

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

regular take: Duke can suck my gorsh darned balls!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

the big xii has litterally been top ken pom conference like five years in a row

Didn't you spend like literally years telling me that Ken Pom is Actually Bad

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Didn't you spend like literally years telling me that Ken Pom is Actually Bad

I think it's flawed, but its about as good of a measure as we have and its one you like.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I think it's flawed, but its about as good of a measure as we have and its one you like.

Except when it said the Big Ten was good.

I don't actually think the a Big XII is bad I just thought your reaction was funny.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
I must be getting old because I fell asleep during the second half of Kentucky's game last night. Looked a lot better from what I did see, and blew out an opponent they were supposed to, unlike letting Southern Illinois hang around.

Also fun fact, by beating North Dakota, they've now beaten a team from all 50 states. They have a winning record against all but one state, Connecticut (3-4).

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Nebraska played far from its A-game last night and still beat Seton Hall by 23. Much bigger tests looming, though — pppprobably Texas Tech in KC next week, followed by a trip to Clemson.

Our top 4 (Palmer, Copeland, Watson, Roby) were hardly in question; rather, it was the rest of the squad. They've done well so far.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

I must be getting old because I fell asleep during the second half of Kentucky's game last night. Looked a lot better from what I did see, and blew out an opponent they were supposed to, unlike letting Southern Illinois hang around.

Also fun fact, by beating North Dakota, they've now beaten a team from all 50 states. They have a winning record against all but one state, Connecticut (3-4).

Gotta start scheduling Fairfield/Yale/CCSU to get that winning record back.

(Or just UConn in their current state)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the only good conference is god’s own athletic 10

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa is only a 4 point dog against Oregon tonight, if you have would like to make money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Iowa is only a 4 point dog against Oregon tonight, if you have would like to make money

i refuse to acknowledge basketball in the big ten exists outside of the state of michigan