Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm just glad that Illinois is now back to being completely dem controlled even though it is undoubtedly going to continue to be ruined by corruption and lovely centrist politicians. Also that Scott Walker is gone, that's also very good.

It's pretty bad elsewhere tho, and it wasn't really enough on the whole to make me say it was a big success or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It's funny how a deadlocked congress is a significant improvement for us

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Your Taint posted:

Remember all those smug fucks who told us "Elections have consequences" after Trump got elected? Feel free to throw it back in their faces if they start complaining about one of the 57 simultaneous House investigations.
They're not going to happen, Pelosi has already indicated she's not interested.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Winning the house is big and I'm happy about it. But as a FL voter, I'm definitely extremely pissed about the topline results in that state, and concerned about ever having the Senate majority if we're seeing -4 as of last night.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Al Borland Corpse posted:

Hello thread. You might not know me, I'm Al Borland Corp, a limited liability poster. I am from the now defunct Trump thread. I look forward to sharing with you my thoughts, opinions, and insights!

I had a fun time voting in Alabama last night. Every candidate I voted for lost, and every ballot initiative I voted for went the opposite way! Oh man what a silly state.

The Al is short for Alabama, not everyone knows that.

Hello friend, our state is terrible. The only wins I got on my ballot were local ones, which is expected since I live in the black belt.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Oxxidation posted:

because it gets them paid

people have this persistent belief that the democratic leadership is just ignorant when in fact they're doing their jobs, i.e., the thing that gets them paid

when pelosi talks about bipartisanship and returning to the status quo she's talking to her employers, not to you

Also, speaking anecdotally there are a HUGE number of people who LOVE bipartisanship talk, even though it's proven to be completely worthless IRL.

Paying lip service to it is fine for a politician as long as they don't actually BELIEVE it.

Unfortunately Pelosi is a shity go-along-to-get-along establishment Democrat dinosaur. I do believe she's totally down for opening 100,000 investigations on Trump at least.

Covok posted:

We won! They lost! For gently caress sake, be happy you covoking broke brains.

:hmmyes:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

haveblue posted:

The electoral college could be nullified by the NPVIC, but how to get every state to pass it and continue to abide by it when it costs them power is left as an exercise for the reader.

You don't need every state to pass it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So isn't 2020 a pretty lovely map for the Senate too? If I'm not mistaken vulnerable Republican senators = Cordy Gardner(Col), Susan Collins (Maine), and Thom Tillis (North Carolina).

But the Dems also have like 3-4 (at least) vulnerable Senators in coin flip states.

I guess if there's a massive blue wave and the Dems keep building momentum maybe there could be some unexpected gains but if it didn't happen last night I'm struggling to see how it could happen in 2020 unless some Obama-like hope and change savant emerges.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjJEXkbeL-o

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Would it be possible to cap these threads at like 3000 pages, because crappier computers have trouble loading the page selector much beyond that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My Twitter Account posted:

So the Dems aren't going to be so stupid as to actually elect Pelosi speaker again, are they?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060162807960870913

It is going to happen, and her obsession with decorum is going to mean not even symbolic protest bills get passed, and nothing loving matters. That is the bipartisan goal here, completely neutering any meaningful gains because Pelosi will be in charge and will not whip the party to hold the line.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

has anyone told all the committee chairs that Nancy Pelosi is not letting them investigate Trump? because it sounds like it would come as a real surprise to them

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Which states that are currently gerrymandered to a laughable degree in the R direction are likely to be redrawn to a fair (or D-favorable) map in 2020 due to pickups in governorships/state houses last night?

Ohio will likely gain a few seats to redistricting in 2020. An amendment thing passed last year that will have a bipartisan commission redraw the map. Which isn't as good as Democrats drawing them, but Democrats got slaughtered in Ohio last night so that wasn't even gonna happen. Anyways, the breakdown is 12 GOP districts to 4 Democratic districts with the current gerrymander. Democrats would probably gain at least 2, possibly 3 seats with a fair redistricting.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Good thing they have to vote on the next Speaker and she's not a lock, huh?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Man, I didn't realize that Pelosi was the chair of every committee and that also a vague speech about bipartisan meant you forfeited subpoena powers for 2 years.

(Ryan didn't like what Nunes was doing, hint hint)

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Has Walker conceded yet?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ginette Reno posted:

So isn't 2020 a pretty lovely map for the Senate too? If I'm not mistaken vulnerable Republican senators = Cordy Gardner(Col), Susan Collins (Maine), and Thom Tillis (North Carolina).

But the Dems also have like 3-4 (at least) vulnerable Senators in coin flip states.

I guess if there's a massive blue wave and the Dems keep building momentum maybe there could be some unexpected gains but if it didn't happen last night I'm struggling to see how it could happen in 2020 unless some Obama-like hope and change savant emerges.

you just gotta make them vulnerable. with appealing leftist policy

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Oxxidation posted:

people have this persistent belief that the democratic leadership is just ignorant when in fact they're doing their jobs, i.e., the thing that gets them paid

when pelosi talks about bipartisanship and returning to the status quo she's talking to her employers, not to you

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/study-congress-overestimates-the-publics-conservatism.html

The data suggests that our politicians are genuinely hilariously out of touch, but sincerely so.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

GOP congressman, who once lamented not being able to call women 'sluts,' loses to a woman.

They're going to continue to say "there is no point in investigations" right up until they say "This is a very serious accusation that warrants a full and thorough investigation". They're trying to prevent the Republicans from framing any investigations as witch hunts by downplaying their interest in them.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

lol what fictional version of Pelosi are we scared of today?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

Would it be possible to cap these threads at like 3000 pages, because crappier computers have trouble loading the page selector much beyond that.

That's probably around what's going to happen anyways as Trump thread lasted from March to November and hit 6000 pages and we're going to be switching to Spring in half the timespan.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Old James posted:

My biggest issue with last night is how the it appears the lesson learned by Beto, Gillum, and Abrams' loss is that the Dems need to run more centrist candidates. But centrists lost in Indiana, Missouri, and North Dakota yet no talking head breathed a word of that.

Pelosi and Schumer need to learn that the battle lines have been drawn. There are not enough true independents (most have taken a side, but want to pretend they haven't) or Eisenhower Republicans left to make a difference. What drives victory is motivating your base and a centrist "Republican-Lite" is demotivating. Republicans learned this with Gingrich and later the Tea Party, why can't our leadership understand.

Do folks honestly believed this? I remember hearing even “serious people” like Chuck Todd talking about how even in defeat going progressive was incredibly effective for Democrats. People take notice when a 16 gap is reduced to a one point gap.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Ginette Reno posted:

Turns out every election is a lovely map for the Democrats in the Senate.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I was slightly disappointed that the three races that garnered national attention went to the Republicans but at least they were close. Now I'm disappointed there's no separate Trump thread.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I mentioned this in the election thread but the real take away from this should be don't watch real time election results. That poo poo doesn't matter and serves to only stress you out and attract clicks.

America seems like a little less of a hell scape this morning so that's good. This is the first day I've been able to breath easy in like 3 years. That being said, 2020 is going to be nuts.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

you just gotta make them vulnerable. with appealing leftist policy

Be nice.

Not complaining about last night mind you. But man that Senate map just blows. Hopefully it's better than it looks.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Your Taint posted:

Good thing they have to vote on the next Speaker and she's not a lock, huh?

also good thing the speaker does not exert meaningful control over committee business in this way

unless you think like Waters, Cummings, Schiff, etc that've spent years talking about the investigations they want to do and were literally saying this last night are going to be blocked by Pelosi

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I know we're all focused on the big picture here, but personally I'm just glad that my lovely state's irrational hatred of Dan Malloy didn't turn the governorship over to a literal walking pile of pond scum.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Pelosi doesn’t control committees.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Flaggy posted:

Has Walker conceded yet?

No, and he never will.

I imagine him in six months in a ragged, tattered suit outside the Capitol building in Madison yelling about how he's still the Governor.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
If you're particularly interested in drilling down on what those newly-elected governors, state legislatures, mayors, and what-have-you are doing or going to do, or otherwise want to discuss life on Main Street in Trump-occupied America, the 2019 State and Local thread is up. Apparently State and Local threads work like automobile model years!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Oxxidation posted:

FYI this is why she should not be speaker.

She's great at whipping the Democrats but she's pretty much beholden to the same corporate interests driving the Republican party down the CHUD hole so they can pillage the country. Her being speaker essentially means the house is liable to end up being controlled opposition. Which means that anything to do with Trump/Republican corruption and gerrymandering/voter suppression on the house's end will just be sound and air instead of actually effective.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 7, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DeanHeller/status/937118098309529601

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ginette Reno posted:

2020 is going to be the reverse of this year, where 11 D seats are up for grabs as opposed to 22 Republican seats

the weakest and really only vulnerable Dem seat is Doug Jones

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Thread newbie here, I wanted to chime in to ask -- I've heard some folks bandying about the claim that the Senate will be increasingly hard to take going forward / expressing doubt that the Democrats will be able to retake it ever. I was curious, what's the analysis behind that?

EDIT: Oh my god, the thread moves too fast. The answer to my question was just posted as I wrote this. :blush:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Ginette Reno posted:

Naw, only AL and NH are really vulnerable. I don't think Jones will survive, but I'd put good money on holding NH*

*no I won't because 2 years is a long rear end time.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

HappyHippo posted:

Turns out every election is a lovely map for the Democrats in the Senate.

Decades of gerrymandering will do that. :smith:

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Someone in the election results thread was posting that the Florida amendment re-enfranchising felons first the person must repay their court fees. With these fees possibly being in the thousands and the limited employment opportunities for felons, many won't be able to pay to get their vote back.

How legal would it be to have a GoFundMe to pay these court fees only if the person registers to vote?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

The electoral college could be nullified by the NPVIC, but how to get every state to pass it and continue to abide by it when it costs them power is left as an exercise for the reader.

Don't you only need a majority of electoral votes for the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact to work? One argument you can make is that non-swing states gain some power, since candidates may actually pay attention to them. Like what presidential candidate ever gave a gently caress about Arkansas? However, if half of the electoral votes join together, then they actually will have to campaign there, their votes will matter, and their constituencies may be heard.

Since democratic reforms actually passed in Michigan and Florida, I have a glimmer of hope for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Old James posted:

My biggest issue with last night is how the it appears the lesson learned by Beto, Gillum, and Abrams' loss is that the Dems need to run more centrist candidates. But centrists lost in Indiana, Missouri, and North Dakota yet no talking head breathed a word of that.

Pelosi and Schumer need to learn that the battle lines have been drawn. There are not enough true independents (most have taken a side, but want to pretend they haven't) or Eisenhower Republicans left to make a difference. What drives victory is motivating your base and a centrist "Republican-Lite" is demotivating. Republicans learned this with Gingrich and later the Tea Party, why can't our leadership understand.

it's a refrain you'll always hear. if a leftist loses, it's damning evidence that we need to tack to the right. if a centrist loses... well that's been happening for a long time and the excuse is always that they leaned too far left