Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What’s this about there still being hundreds of thousands of early/absentee votes to count in Arizona? Is this true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

A 9 point win is a wave. You can’t spin that. It’s the largest margin of victory in a midterm since the 70s. It’s just that our Senate system is broken because of the Red States. But we broke through the gerrymandering and picked up crucial governships. Trust me, if we had pulled it out in Florida people would be feeling a whole lot different about everything.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rinkles posted:

also it's not 9 according to NYT

It’s projected to go over 9 once the millions of CA votes come in I believe. It’s like how Trump was leading the popular vote for like an entire day after the election until CA finished counting.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rinkles posted:

That early concession was a weird choice

The act of conceding is just civility and is in no way legally binding. He can unconcede.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tester officially hangs on.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fabulous Knight posted:

Uh, I guess it's 54-46 if Sinema goes down :(

I think Sinema should be a slight favorite for now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

Who's ready for Democrats to champion a return to normalcy and decorum and not champion any remedies for rampant voter suppression and nonrepresentation?

We know for a fact from the info released last week that the House Dems are going to introduce a slew of bills that include fixing the VRA.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I know no one here wants Biden to be the nominee for many very good reasons. But how would you feel about a Biden/Beto ticket?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Framboise posted:

I don't think Biden or Hillary would be a good option for President when they're already divisive enough as they are.

I'm 100% cool with a Beto for pres ticket though.

I don’t think Beto can handle being on the top of the ticket though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Republicans posted:

Republicans can point to the senate and hoot "NO WAVE!!!" all they want, they've got to know they're in trouble.

Why do you think Trump is melting down today? He knows things went very poorly for him last night. Not as much as we had hoped but still.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

That's what's so frustrating is how close some of them were! Like, we almost, almost kicked out Ted loving Cruz!

Ah well. The House is going to make both of these years utter hell for Trump.

The Beto loss won’t keep me up at night because 4 points in an electorate as large as Texas is a mile wide. But Nelson losing by half a point is MADDENING. Having 47 or even 48 senators if Sinema pulls it out feels MUCH better going into 2020.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I desperately need new Arizona news.

47 senators puts the Senate back on the table in 2020. Not a favorable chance but a real one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rabble posted:

I thought it was weird at the time and brought up that the margin was less than 80k votes when he started his speech. Decorum strikes again

Conceding is not legally binding.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pander posted:

2020 Waters/Beto

How old is Maxine.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Imagine a Bernie/Waters ticket with Pelosi as Speaker lol. Gonna get real deep in the line of succession.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Graham is gonna be real pissed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Silver lining: Lindsay Graham debased himself into a screaming crying mess for a man he knew was a rapist for absolutely nothing in return :devil:

Literally every single person who debases themselves for Trump gets thrown under the bus eventually.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

https://twitter.com/NancyPelosi/status/1060275980424695808

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

brockan posted:

Apparently it's looking like all those tweets about Rosenstein also resigning are coming from a source called OANN. They're claiming it's expected to come in 48 hours.

FWIW, they appear to be a right wing paid news network.

Likely a case of the tail trying to wag the dog.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Armack posted:

He's not in any legal jeopardy since presidents can't be indicted. Impeachment and removal are political processes, not legal ones.

He's also not in political jeopardy. The GOP Senate doesn't have to act if The House impeaches Trump, and even if they did, there is no scenario where two-thirds of the Senate votes to convict.

Please let me know if I'm incorrect here, but it seems that the Republicans can pack the Supreme Court starting in January if they hold together. Theoretically, Trump could nominate 30 new Justices, a few GOP senators would balk, the rest vote to nominate, the court arbitrarily decides the constitution allows for Trump to be dictator, the actual text of the document be damned.

Alternatively, maybe we do have a nominal 2020 election, but not a free and fair one. With voter suppression and other means of cheating, even 2018 was fishy in some areas, like GA, FL, ND, much of Texas.

What about these scenarios seems implausible?

Also, is there a thread for exploring options to expatriate from the US?

Are these the kinds of posts were going to have to get used to seeing now that the good and bad threads were combined?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Anyone know how many votes that Gillum is claiming to be down by now? Because I’m pretty sure they’re claiming it to be less than the official tally so far.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

He’s not gone. It’s just that since Sessions is gone the new AG is in charge since he hasn’t recused himself. Nothing has happened to Rod.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/SenatorCollins/status/1060294357079810054

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How many Republican Senators in blue states are up for election in 2020?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Insurrectum posted:

They are really afraid of whatever Mueller is going to drop Now that we are post election

Trump was even more of a wreck than usual at his presser today. Might have to do with Mueller night just be that he knows that the GOP got bodied last night despite his claims to the contrary.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

I posted a big write up in State and Local thread, I'll cross post it

I don’t think there’s a path to 50 there if we’re stuck at 46. We really want Sienna to pull it out in AZ and get us to 47. And Ughh Nelson losing by just 30,000 votes is maddening. If we had 48 right now we’d be in a great position to take control of everything in 2020.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1060296443611598848

Not wasting any time in becoming the new Jeff Flake.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

It really sucks how badly we blew everything in 2016 because that should be our friendliest map

That means we can take the Senate by a good margin in 2022 if we can keep momentum up after winning in 2020. I don’t know if that’s possible though. We NEED Boomers to start dropping like flies between now and then. At least the 18-29 demo is getting significantly more active.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sydin posted:

Oh god we have a minimum of six years of Romney hot takes ahead of us. :shepicide:

Better him than Hatch.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Z. Autobahn posted:

Except Beto and Gillum lost, and Manchin won, so how is this not disproving your argument

And Manchin not only won but won in a blow out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with Fulchrum, gun control is a serious issue, we live in a country where school shootings are weekly and gun violence is daily for marginalized people, and gun organizations like the NRA are right-wing propaganda machines. Democrats can't abandon the issue.

I wish the Dems would buck up and start going for handgun bans instead letting themselves get trapped into the "assault weapons" argument every time tho.

Framing the issues against handguns is tougher because you have a ton of people who buy into the whole “useful for self defense” angle. It’s easy to convince them that people shouldn’t own a military grade rifle but shouldn’t granny get to keep her little side piece in her purse when she has to walk through the rough neighborhood?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

While true in a rhetorical sense, handguns are by far the source of most of the actual gun violence in America.

Oh I totally understand that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Don’t dare hope

But

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1060305913238773761

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Voter suppression and cooking the books is easier when everyone has stopped paying attention. I bet that’s what they’ll do.

They’ll be done counting them by tomorrow night I believe.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

the difference is only about 15,000 so that could definitely move if its 650k outstanding

47 sounds a lot better than 46

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

We just need to steal the physical copy of the Constitution from the National Archives and the problem will just take care of itself.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If Mueller was in the bag for Trump then Trump wouldn’t be such a paranoid freak ranting and raving about his investigation every chance he gets.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What the hell is a succ-Dem other than a surely cringy pun about... something?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Anyone else still really really pissed at Nate and his wild hosed up Live Model that gave us all direct flashbacks to 2016 except with the additional knowledge that if we didn’t take the House it was Game loving Over for real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

the moment when you started mournfully apologizing to people was one of the highlights of my year

Last time this happened in 2016 I literally went into a suicide ward so thanks a bunch rear end in a top hat.