Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Thread newbie here, I wanted to chime in to ask -- I've heard some folks bandying about the claim that the Senate will be increasingly hard to take going forward / expressing doubt that the Democrats will be able to retake it ever. I was curious, what's the analysis behind that?

EDIT: Oh my god, the thread moves too fast. The answer to my question was just posted as I wrote this. :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

haveblue posted:

Population trends in the US have Democrats concentrating in cities and the sparsely populated areas of the country becoming more Republican. However, since all states have equal representation in the Senate and not all of them have large cities where this is happening, more Senate seats are trending red than are trending blue. It's a sort of implicit natural gerrymander that is expected to lead to Dem senators from urbanized states being elected by huge margins but being outnumbered by GOP senators from rural states with low total voters.

It's not really clear what can be done about this since state boundaries are effectively immutable and there's no good way to stop this migration- rural red states are simply not attractive places to live for the mobile generations.

That makes sense. But I mean, the end conclusion of this reasoning is that we'll be stuck with a permanently gridlocked legislature, which is clearly not an acceptable outcome. Something will have to be done, but short of a constitutional amendment, which is obviously politically impossible, I can't imagine what that could possibly be.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I really hope she doesn't stop/slow down the savage twitterposting after she's actually sworn in.

I am, like, so hype for the day when AOC actually just out and posts "Full communism now". It will be glorious.