Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

We need to do that in FL badly. Everything north of Orlando metro should be its own state. Sorry, Tallahassee, but sacrifices need to be made.

by sacrifices you mean literally sacrificing the majority of the black population of the state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

haveblue posted:

Bring back the dog rule

the dog rule should not only be brought back, but be enforced with an iron fist

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is there a way of making it so this thread only contains relevant news posts and not like, pages upon pages of digressions about sandwich preferences and pineapple on pizza? I am not a D&D poster, but I enjoy the way you guys all us this thread to post relevant news.. just sometimes it’s 800 posts of nonsense.

reposting this, i'm sorry I forgot which cool person made it

quote:

javascript : (function(){ $('table.post').filter(function() { return $(this).find('.postbody > div.tweet, .postbody > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > a:not([href*="somethingawful.com"]), .postbody > .timg_container > img:not([src*="somethingawful.com"])').length === 0 }).hide() })()

add to bookmarks, remove spaces after javascript, and when you click it it will remove all posts that do not contain links, tweets, or images from any given page of the thread

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Entirely possible given the fat gently caress's tariffs are about to take effect in January.

Out of the 1.5 million reenfranchised people who are majority minority, if you can register 50%, get 60% to turnout (about the state's average numbers), and they break 60/40 dem, that'd be +90,000 votes in an election like yesterday's

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

has anyone told all the committee chairs that Nancy Pelosi is not letting them investigate Trump? because it sounds like it would come as a real surprise to them

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Your Taint posted:

Good thing they have to vote on the next Speaker and she's not a lock, huh?

also good thing the speaker does not exert meaningful control over committee business in this way

unless you think like Waters, Cummings, Schiff, etc that've spent years talking about the investigations they want to do and were literally saying this last night are going to be blocked by Pelosi

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sean10mm posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Pelosi only said it won't be an immediate priority to impeach Trump, which given that there are no votes in the senate to convict right now anyway is basically conceding nothing IRL.

and she said something about being willing to work with republicans on infrastructure, which is a no-brainer if the outcome isn't massive privatization of infrastructure

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

in lighter news, rudy's divorce is very funny

https://twitter.com/messagetime/status/1060186549638365184

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

I cannot wait for the impending constitutional crisis when the White House refuses to comply with US House of Rep subpoenas.

that's not what 'constitutional crisis' means, it would require non-compliance, a court order, then ignoring that order

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

it's also a constitutional crisis when a politically stacked court blatantly refuses to enforce the subpoena because it's not in the interests of the Republican party

sure but 'what if they just ignore a subpoena?' isn't really the problem here

i bet we get a lot of new caselaw about executive privilege though

e

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah Beto and gillum can run now. So there is a positive.

as much as this is a fantasy of #resistance twitter and i hate that, they're both farther left and more charismatic than almost all other candidates right now. either one would be an excellent veep for Sanders, given his reasonable chances of dying in office

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tibalt posted:

Unless the Tallahassee Mayorship grants time travel powers, Gillum is about six months late on gathering the background support you need to make a non-vanity presidential primary run.

i mean he is now a national name that lefties all over are sad about losing. he's in a great position for veep

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

Worst case: Trump dies right before election; president pence with his calm, horse loving hands steers the ship to apocalypse

USPOL/Trump Winter: his calm, horse loving hands steers the ship to apocalypse

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1060194964351660033

there we go

(i assume these numbers are a lie)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah of course they're a lie

quote:

There's a partisan divide — about six in 10 Democrats approve of Mueller's handling of the probe, compared to just two in 10 Republicans. Independents are divided, with 43 percent approving and 42 percent disapproving.

only independents are 43 percent favorable - but actually even less independents disapprove lol

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 7, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AlBlaybleCharacter posted:

I didn't buy this one but I am gonna run with it so I bought the name

i feel like you may have stretched the joke to the point of your name being unrecognizable

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mdemone posted:

Also they can now unseal and send him transcripts from hearings that occurred last year with Don Jr. etc.

yeah this is an underrated element, they can refer these to Mueller in particular for perjury charges which Schiff/Swalwell/etc have strongly hinted they want to do

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AlBlaybleCharacter posted:

Hmm...

Yes I suspect you are correct

haha i mean, you do you, it did take me a solid 5 seconds to figure out which poster this was when i saw the name

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

for anyone curious about subpoena power issues, here's a great read about how House Republicans successfully won cases allowing them to subpoena a ton of political documents then spent this year furiously trying to get the judge to take back her holding once they realized they'd be losing power

https://twitter.com/zoetillman/status/1060195800062590976

they literally 'settled' with the Trump administration with a precondition that Amy Berman Jackson say that her old holding is no longer valid lol

she was not happy about it

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

looking forward to the subpoenaed documents into this fiasco too

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1060201784055160832

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Quorum posted:

Probably! Congress has broad power to regulate elections (for federal offices, at least), and what you can regulate, you can investigate.

yeah actual enforcement seems questionable but sunlight could be useful

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1060202743644807168

can you even imagine the level of no commenting that would happen here

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Uh, the gerrymandering very clearly broke in the House, I don't know where you're getting that it didn't.

Democrats won a second House seat in *South Carolina*.

KANSAS elected a lesbian native american ex-mma fighter progressive for christ's sake

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

is there a source on this, it's not in the text of the amendment itself.

this rapidly became a meme to poo poo on this victory as soon as a single person posted it, on the premise that the vast majority of ex-felons haven't paid court-ordered legal fees which i see absolutely no data to support

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

exploded mummy posted:

there was a path before, but it was like running the 1904 Olympic marathon

also in this analogy, the judge who decides whether you finished asks you if you voted for him last election as the main determining factor

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmfao

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1060217361544953858

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

now he's saying it's much easier to pass legislation because no freedom caucus lol

i mean he's right but this is also what the far right is terrified of

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

best description of this speech

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1060218135553425408

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

"If they investigate me, I'll make the Senate investigate them" is still the most hilariously empty threat

i think there's a reason you don't see any republican senators on said investigative committees endorsing this

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SavageBastard posted:

Did everyone catch earlier where Trump ramblingly offered to pass Democratic House legislation with Senate Dems + whatever Repubs he could wrangle so long as Dems didn't investigate him?

yeah surely all democrats are now going to decide not to investigate the one hundred different scandals and instead work with him in the run up to 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i've been saying for quite some time the now-mostly-untestable theory that Donald Trump would quite possibly make it to the end of his term with zero vetoes even if the Democrats took the Senate

I think the odds of McConnell letting anything good through except maybe an infrastructure thing and the usual can-kicking budget extensions are not high, but I don't see Trump blocking a darn thing short of "it is now officially illegal to take massive bribes by the thinly deniable means you and Kushner are using".

nonsense, if articles of impeachment ever passed the house trump would hold a press conference signing a gigantic bill that just reads VETO and angrily slurring at any reporter that suggests that's not how it works

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

here we go, time to say anti-semitism is obama's fault

e: lol no, instead it's, when asked about the huge rise in anti-semitic attacks, that he's done so much for Israel and Jerusalem

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

now he says they'll work together even if subpoenas are coming

he can't remember 30 minutes ago

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol big day for qanon

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1060233955461529601

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Reporter asks Pelosi about Trump's threat to investigate democrats or whatever

Pelosi laughs and says "The President also says this was a great day for republicans, so let's put it in context."

She says they have a responsibility for oversight that isn't optional, doesn't really give any indication they're backing down on any investigations. Says committees make the decisions about things like tax returns, not her

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

her speech last night included basically all of those things, she just said some words about bipartisanship and people flipped the gently caress out

she's saying them today too so I'm sure there will be some furious takes that the party's leader is saying political rhetoric that people like, despite being basically meaningless

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I hope we haven't seen the last of Gillum despite what happened down here yesterday. If the Dems win in 2020, I hope they consider giving him a job.

we're not quite there yet (the margin is like .61 and needs to get down to .5%) but pretty good odds a recount is happening so he'll be in the news for a bit

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i am not a fan but she is saying the right stuff. keep trump on the defense and make the investigations unified and count. no loving around with like the tea party did.

yeah the dems investigations not looking like The Select Committee On Benghazi or whatever is actually good

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao honestly hosed up how the Democrats oppose the new, incredible peace with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I like to think that we'll elect a single person who is all three of latina, gay, and racist within our lifetime :911: