Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Really excited to see the support for reparations and its pretty awesome that women candidates are paving the way for this issue to actually get any sort of attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

mrfreeze posted:

Lol LK probated KM for pointing out a severely white guy had a meltdown over protecting his notoriously racist family. Alright.

I had to go look because I thought you had to have been joking. You were not...

Thank goodness someone is looking out for the dude talking about "purity tests" without any sense of irony.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

PhazonLink posted:

but people already go and survive the military meat grinder and a non zero amount of them are still or become pieces of poo poo.

Since when is the goal of the military to do volunteer work and learn about other cultures?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

Except they had kids and passed on their lovely ideas to them. See also: Maga teen chuds harassing native Indians and theatric grifters like Tomi Lahren.

I don't understand people using one or two examples propped up by the media as evidence while simultaneously ignoring actual data that says the complete opposite.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

PneumonicBook posted:

In the Navy, at least, every port we hit had multiple volunteer opportunities to help local communities. The thing is though the people that go to them are already people that skew left, at least in my experience.

I think the other posters point though was many people in the military experience different cultures and see how other countries live. To say that all we have to do is send people overseas and that will fix the complaint of Americans not being cultured enough or too ignorant to give a poo poo is probably wrong though. Even in the full gay space communism scenario of sending everyone abroad youd still have a bunch of conservatives in the population.

Joke answer to that quote is how else do we learn where to bomb and what insurgencies to arm?

Even though people in the military technically "experience" other cultures, it is done through the lens of the American military machine. Sending people to another country as a member of the military is worlds different than sending someone to actually immerse themselves in different cultures. No one is saying this is a magic bullet, but getting out of your bubble and experiencing the diversity in the world is definitely a part of it.