Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

https://twitter.com/brianbeutler/status/646064172732649472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Bredesen got stomped last night in Tennessee. I was hoping my state would make it a little closer, but woof. This place is full on Trump country, and that makes me sad as hell.

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

This is long, but if you want to know how Beto super volunteers are feeling in Texas right now, this was posted on another board and seems very incisive

quote:

took the day off preemptively today and am taking the chance to catch up on the thread. here's what happened in texas yesterday:

as i posted in here, i got up early and did some work for beto. a couple of my friends are (were, i guess) paid campaign staffers or otherwise super-volunteers, so we met up, harassed UT students to go vote, and then knocked on some doors in target neighborhoods. we learned that the polling place in the neighborhood we were canvasing in was loving up in the morning, so we called it in to the texas civil rights project and i guess they got it fixed. in the evening we drove by the polling station and handed out water and snacks to the workers and people standing in line - there was still like an hour wait for people in line when the polls closed.

we went to a bar to watch the results where there was some democratic party thing going on - not sure if it was beto-specific or not. the reaction when they called the race for cruz was very muted, and it seemed like a lot of people were calling bullshit on it, as i mentioned in here at the time. to answer the question posed then, i had consciously set my expectations at what i thought was a reasonable level - i thought cruz would win, but by less than the polls were saying, which is about what wound up happening. i think most of the people i know in/around the campaign had about the same expectations, but of course they were more invested in the outcome than i was so it was harder for them to see. but i think they recognize the value of what they put together, both for this campaign and for the future, so there were good vibes all around. a lot of strangers involved with the campaign were really worrying me - i'm in a facebook group for volunteer opportunities for the campaign and a lot of people in there were starting to seem really unhinged in their expectations.

i can't say enough how much of a success this campaign was. a <3% margin for a republican statewide candidate is ludicrous. but beyond that, beto got enough people involved and engaged to drag two democratic state reps across the finish line in districts that were specifically designed to favor republicans (and tx-23 could still go D as well). three statewide officials, in races where margins are typically in the high teens, were within five points. they'll still gloat, and none of them should have even sniffed victory in a just world, but i think they're genuinely scared. in the state legislature, we knocked off two tea party republicans in the senate, which means dems only need to bring one R across the aisle to block a bill in the generally worse chamber. (this would have been a much bigger deal if we hadn't hosed up the special election from last month, but it's still big.) (also weirdly one of the dems that picked up a seat composed the music for the original english dub of dragon ball z or something like that?) and the state house flipped a dozen seats, which is huge because they'll get a lot more leverage in picking the next house speaker.

beto also showed two important things: that a democrat doesn't have to a) cling to the middle to be competitive in a red state, or b) accept pac money to run a relatively successful campaign. i hope those lessons, as well as the general sense of the importance of voter engagement, etc., carry on into future races.

2020 definitely doesn't look as rosy - ted cruz really does rub people the wrong way in a way that cornyn doesn't, and i honestly don't think beto is interested. either of the castros, as has been mentioned, would probably be too cautious/selfish to give it a go, and i don't think they have the style for it anyway. mark cuban might be dumb enough to give it a go but for my money i'd rather vote for gregg popovich

i also got one compliment on my stupid president shirt

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Bredesen got stomped last night in Tennessee. I was hoping my state would make it a little closer, but woof. This place is full on Trump country, and that makes me sad as hell.

Ditto. I like to think well of the people around me, but knowing how many of them are actively cheering racism and random acts of cruelty to powerless people just makes me sad.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

axeil posted:

Who's ready to flip the VA legislature into a Dem majority and give us another trifecta?

We need 2 pickups in the House of Delegates and 1 in the Senate for a majority. I think we can do it next year :unsmith:

Do I hear the beginnings of a Goonsquad Coalition? Someone call our glorious leader Fancy. It is time for war!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

friendbot2000 posted:

Do I hear the beginnings of a Goonsquad Coalition? Someone call our glorious leader Fancy. It is time for war!

Hopefully Fancy is logged off the internet for a month and taking a much deserved break.

With that said, yes we should all get Goodnsquad back together for 2019!

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I've been hiding from politics chat because I knew too many people who actually thought the Senate was in play to deal with the inevitable recriminations. That said, I work with a local newspaper in Indiana and there was exactly one bright spot I could enjoy before I realized how well Dems were doing outside the Hell Dimension States. Looking at the returns it was obvious that Donnelly was sunk, because the GOP was happily voting against him en masse. He only snuck in because in 2012 the Tea Party replaced "Respectable Republican" with a rape apologist that just barely enough rural voters weren't willing to vote for, but Braun offered exactly the kind of plausible deniability for which these assholes pine.

Still, there were a couple local Democrats that remained stubbornly close as precincts reported in. A woman running for sheriff on a platform of fighting nepotism in the sheriff's department and amiable school janitor running against a 24-year veteran of the county council and one of the county GOP big whigs. Both won, barely, but they won. They jumped ahead with the last four precincts and completely ruined the otherwise festive atmosphere of the GOP HQ, forcing one of their heads to give a speech on his legacy due to an unexpected defeat.

The thing is, the new County Councilman from District 3 didn't even have yard signs. His only real exposure came from a routine interview I did with him for a candidate profile and everyone knowing him as a volunteer for school events. To hell with re-litigating the sins of the known bad-faith actors, I'm actually kind of inspired right now.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Hopefully Fancy is logged off the internet for a month and taking a much deserved break.

Godspeed General FancyPants! Get some rest friendo!

Well, one thing is for sure, we have to make sure Danica Roem keeps her seat. I would crawl through fire for her to get elected to office. I refuse to allow the state house to be taken back by regressive CHUDs. It ain't happening. So if they are any Virginia Goons who are lurkers that want to pitch in and do some work, drop me a PM.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I wonder if they'll think I'm a project veritas operative again :v:

friendbot2000 posted:

Godspeed General FancyPants! Get some rest friendo!

Well, one thing is for sure, we have to make sure Danica Roem keeps her seat. I would crawl through fire for her to get elected to office. I refuse to allow the state house to be taken back by regressive CHUDs. It ain't happening. So if they are any Virginia Goons who are lurkers that want to pitch in and do some work, drop me a PM.

i got to meet danica yesterday when i went out to manassas to canvass for wexton. she was incredibly inspiring and i agree we've gotta keep her seat.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I genuinely think he dug his grave deeper by coming out in favor of Kavanaugh. Still would have lost, but that unforced error likely turned off lots of folks who might have bothered to show up and didn't. Conservadem candidates are all dumb.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

my bony fealty posted:

I genuinely think he dug his grave deeper by coming out in favor of Kavanaugh. Still would have lost, but that unforced error likely turned off lots of folks who might have bothered to show up and didn't. Conservadem candidates are all dumb.

Probably. I don't think he understood that Republicans are a death cult, poo poo is a lot different than the 2000s when he was governor. There are no moderate Republicans anymore. They're full Daddy Trump now. You aren't going to find many conservatives to pull the lever for you when they can just vote for Blackburn instead. Coming out in favor of :kav: was very dumb.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
A guide to the 2020 Senate race

This the Senate class 2, which was last up for reelection in 2014, a small Republican wave year.
Lets go through every race and see whats going on with it. I don't know everyone super well, but I'm gonna do my best

Alabama
Incumbent: Doug Jones (D)
As we all remember, Doug Jones won an extremely close special election to replace Jeff Sessions. Doug is a centrist democrat who is pro-choice and pro-healthcare. He managed to win on the back of promising to reauthorize CHIP (which he did) and because his opponent was an insane pedophile. Barring a similar kind of own goal by Republicans, this seat will almost certainly go red. I wouldn't be shocked if Jeff Sessions tried to win this seat after he gets kicked to the curb by Trump.

Alaska
Incumbent: Dan Sullivan (R)
He won a fairly close race in 2014, beating previous incumbent Mark Begich by 2%. Seems like a tough seat to flip, but Alaska is weird.

Arkansas
Incumbent: Tom Cotton (R)
rear end in a top hat of the highest order and a Trump toadie. Absolutely murdered the previous incumbent Dem (Mark Pryor) by 17% in 2014. Expect him to cruise to victory unless he is an idiot who decided to leave a safe senate seat for a cabinet position.

Colorado
Incumbent: Cory Gardner (R)
Kinda middle of the road republican Trumpy republican who seems like he does his best to never get talked about at all. Beat a Democratic incumbent (Mark Udall) by about 2% in 2014. Colorado has continued to shift blue since then and if Democrats have any chance at all to retake the Senate, this is a must win seat.

Delaware
Incumbent: Chris Coons (D)
Very moderate democratic from a blue state, but a very good gun control record. Won the special election 2010 to replace Biden, and has won by 17% and 14%. Expect a primary challenge from the left, but I expect he'll be in the Senate for as long as he wants.

Georgia
Incumbent: Dave Perdue (R)
From a big time politically connect family in Georgie, his brother is a former governor and current a cabinet member. Replaced Saxby Chambliss (R) after he retired in 2014, won the election by about 8%. Georgia is gonna be a voting rights hell hole under Kemp, but I wouldn't be shocked if Abrams tried to see if she can get over the hump in a presidential year. Could possibly flip, but not likely.

Idaho
Incumbent: Jim Risch (R)
Never heard of him, so he isn't a an rear end in a top hat on the front lines of the Trump offensive, but probably still sucks. Long time Idaho politician, starting as LT Governor in 03, followed by governor in 06. He replaced Larry Craid (R) in 08 after Craig got busted trying to solicit a male prostitute in a Minnesota airport bathroom. Abandon all hope ye who campaign here

Illinois
Incumbent: Dick Durbin (D)
Important Dem bigwig, #2 in the senate. Not super progressive, but he is ok. Voted against the Iraq war, major DREAM act backer. Been in the senate since 96, will be 75 by the time the 2020 election gets here. Its his seat to stroll into unless he decides to retire.

Iowa
Incumbent Joni Ernst (R)
Tea Party senator, you might remember her as the Hog Castration lady. After Tom Harkin (D) retired in 2014, she beat her challenger by 9%. This seat isn't as bad as it looks, 3/4 Iowa house seats went for Dems last night. They narrowly reelected a Republican governor last night, so it'll be tough. Iowa is gonna get a lot of attention from Dems due to the primary, so they might have a decent ground game to help put them over the edge if they can recruit someone good.

Kansas
Incumbent: Pat Roberts (R)
Major league rear end in a top hat. Been in the senate forever, going all the way back to 1996. However, don't write this seat off, Dems won an upset here last night and took a House seat and the governorship, plus a bunch of local level stuff. If they can help dig out Kansas from the hole Brownback put them in, it could be a good springboard for a Democratic challenger. Roberts is gonna be 84 by the time 2020 rolls around since he hasn't faced a real challenge in over a decade, so there is a chance he might retire which would help Dems even more. Gonna need to find an amazing recruit here though (Maybe Beto can move to Kansas :thunk:)

Kentucky
Incumbent: Mitch McConnell (R)
Yertle the Turtle himself, IMO, the biggest villain in modern American politics. Current majority leader of the Senate, has completely rewritten the rules of how the Senate should function and has been a major Trump enabler. gently caress this jackass

Louisiana
Incumbent: Bill Cassidy (R)
Tea Party jackass, got into a fight with Jimmy Kimmel over the ACA repeal. Unseated incumbent Mary Landrieu (D) in 2014 by 11%. Louisiana didn't have a Governor or Senate race yesterday, so I can't see how it would fare in a wave election. Outside chance of being winnable if the Dems can find someone charismatic, but don't count on it

Maine
Incumbent: Susan Collins (R)
Female Jeff Flake, spent most of her career positioning herself as a moderate Republican, but showed her true colors during the Tax Cut and Kav hearings. Rumored to be retiring, this is a seat Dems need to win to take back the Senate. Dems won the governorship by 12% last night. Dems will nominate an empty suit in 2020 who will win a race that will be way closer than it should be.

Massachusetts
Incumbent: Ed Markey (D)
Middle of the road Dem, good supporter of Net Neutrality. Will be 74 by the time 2020 gets here, but I don't think he is gonna retire. Might get a primary challenge from the left if the Boston area progressives can find a good candidate.

Michigan
Incumbent: Gary Peters (D)
I've literally never heard of him :geno:. He managed to win in Michigan during the 2014 wave, so he must be doing something right. Voted for ACA, Cap and Trade, and DREAM Act while in the House. Wikipedia says he support Occupy Wall Street and that Liz Warren campaigned for him in 2014. Seems like a decent bloke, hopefully Michigan can stay sane and reelect him.

Minnesota
Incumbent: Tina Smith (D)
Tina has been in the Senate for like a year, so not much to be able to say on a national record. Bigwig on the state level DFL. She replaced Al Franken after he resigned and won her special election last night by about 10%

Mississippi
Incumbent: ????? (?)
Currently undecided, there was special election for this seat last night that is going to a run-off. Will probably be won by incumbent Hyde-Smith (R).

Montana
Incumbent: Steve Daines (R)
Empty suit republican rear end in a top hat, CHUD, etc. Prevented Liz Warren from reading a letter during the Sessions confirmation hearings. Maybe Montana can magic up another Tester and beat this rear end in a top hat?

Nebraska
Incumbent: Ben Sasse (R)
Young Jeff Flake/John McCain, a very concerned person who always votes with the orthodoxy. Voted against the Opioid crisis bill, anti-LGBT. Rumored to be considering trying to primary Trump in 2020, but I doubt it. Won 2014 by 34%. Democrats have won in Nebraska before, but the state was very red last night.

New Hampshire
Incumbent: Jeanne Shaheen (D)
Long time Democratic mover and shaker, going back to Carter. Helped Al Gore in the primaries back in 2000. Probably will receive a decent challenge from the Left. Won her senate seat in 2008 by 7% in 08 and 3% back in 14.

New Jersey
Incumbent: Cory Booker (D)
Eloquent black guy from New Jersey, good on social issues, bad on economic ones. Too close to banks and charter schools, wrote a very good federal weed legalization bill and signed onto the same M4A bill that a lot of democratic frontrunners have embraced. Will be a major player in the 2020 presidential primaries. If he loses the bid (and doesn't get VP), expect him to win easily.

New Mexico
Incumbent: Tom Udall (D)
Member of the important Udall Family. Voted for DADT repeal, DREAM act, and all of the other standard democratic stuff. Was early critic of NSA spying, even before Snowden. Might see a primary challenge, but I doubt it will have much of a chance. Won by 25% in 08 and 11% in 14.

North Carolina
Incumbent: Thom Tillis (R)
Decent dude for a Republican, was an influential Republican trying to get the Senate to pass the DREAM Act after Trump torpedoed DACA and is decent on LGBT rights. Backed a bill to protect Mueller. On the other hand, climate change denier and voted for the ACA repeal. I think he is basically a Blue Dog Republican. Won a very tight race in 2014 against incumbent Kay Hagan (D). Winnable in a wave year (Like we did in 08), NC might be the next Virginia.

Oklahoma
Incumbent: Jim Inhofe (R)
Old rear end proto-CHUD. Been the Senator from Oklahoma since 1994, and has been an awful person every day. Supports a constitutional amendment to stop gay marriage, actively fights climate change research, nearly killed himself and a bunch of airport workers when he nearly crashed his Cesna into a truck when he landed on a closed runway - He was 75 at the time. He then tried to punish the FAA for the whole incident. He is gonna be 85 by the time 2020 gets here, so don't be shocked if he gets replaced by a newer, younger CHUD.

Oregon
Incumbent: Jeff Merkley (D)
He seems like a cool dude and was the only Senator to endorse Bernie during the 2016 primary. Dark Horse 2020 presidential primary contestant, good track record but probably not enough name recognition. Maybe a solid VP pick for someone who wants a good progressive on the ticket. Root for him to get reelected, but he won't need much help. He won in 2014 by over 20%.

Rhode Island
Incumbent: Jack Reed (D)
I don't feel like he gets mentioned much, but he has been in the Senate since 96. Run of the mill democrat, good on a lot of positions, nothing that will really blow you away. Likes being in the Senate and supposedly turned down the VP gig when Obama sent out feelers. Will be 70 in 2020, so it'll probably be his last election.

South Carolina
Incumbent: Lindsey Graham (R)
A couple of years ago, I would have said he was another kinda reasonable Republican, but he has gone full on MEGA-CHUD over the last year or 2. I wouldn't be shocked if he took a major cabinet position, he has been playing super nice to Trump recently. AG maybe? Who knows? Hasn't faced a major challenge yet and probably wont in 2020.

South Dakota
Incumbent: Mike Rounds (R)
Former longtime SD governor, former Oil and Gas exec, very anti-choice, a bunch of scandals involving the selling of Visas while he was governor. Took over the seat when Tim Johnson (D) retired in 2014, won by 21% but there were a bunch of independents on the ballot who soaked up 20% of the vote. Could be a pickup spot with good recruiting

Tennessee
Incumbent: Lamar Alexander (R)
Big time rear end in a top hat, big player in the ACA repeal attempts. Will be 80 by the time 2020 gets here, so he might retire. Might be a winnable seat if the Dems can find a great recruit and Alexander retires, but don't get your hopes up.

Texas
Incumbent: John Cornyn (R)
Long time Texas good old boy, Ted Cruz without the negative charisma. Big time friend of Trump. I don't think there is anyone who could topple him in Texas. Gonna be stuck with this rear end in a top hat for another cycle or 2

Virginia
Incumbent: Mark Warner (D)
Moderate Democrat who has been very involved in the Trump Russia investigation. Voted to help weaken Dodd-Frank earlier this year. Expect him to see a big time primary from the left with all of the progressive momentum going on in Virginia. Virginia is a blue state now, so this will be a keeper, but there is an outside chance progressives manage to dethrone him.

West Virginia
Incumbent: Shelley Moore Capito (R)
Who gives a poo poo, its West Virginia. Even if a Dem does win here, they're gonna be another Manchin

Wyoming
Incumbent: Mike Enzi (R)
Very conservative back bencher, ACA repeal, more coal, privatizing social security and Medicare, huge Iraq war booster, supported constitutional amendments to ban flag burning and gay marriage. Just your typical rear end in a top hat republican who gets 70% of the vote every time he comes up for election.

So, 2 easy pickups, plus another 3-4 more if things go well

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 8, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Of course, Jeff Sessions gets fired while I was writing this, so its already out of date :(

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/mollycrabapple/status/1060277899763351560?s=19

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Haha, how did I miss this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iceoLxX6exA

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

This might be worse than that Pickle kid they were dragging onto the network.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

how did ben shapiro not tweet about his cameo interview

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Quorum posted:

Yes! Mayor Max is in fact the mayor of the tiny town of Idyllwild. Constitutionally, humans aren't allowed to run for mayor in Idyllwild, they're only allowed to run their pets. It's mostly a ceremonial role, though, and not surprisingly most of the actual work is done by the human chief of staff, but still.

this owns

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Well, the CT governor race was a lot closer than expected, but Ned LaMont won in the end. Just as importantly, the Democrats took back control of the State Senate(it had been in an 18-18 tie) and expanded their majority in the State House.
https://www.courant.com/politics/elections/hc-election-connecticut-general-assembly-20181101-story.html
I won't quote the article here, because it's local CT news and most people won't care about the details(I hardly care, except for the fact that I'm *still* represented by a Republican in the State House :sigh:)

In any case, the State Democratic Party has the power to do whatever it wants to. Hopefully that will mean good things.

This was all accomplished despite Governor Malloy being one of the least popular governors in the nation. Dems began the night with an 80-71 standing in the state House, and an 18-18 tie in the state senate, and it is now 92-59 and 22-12(two not decided yet) respectively. Also we elected our first black woman to congress.

Anyways, where is my legal weed, Ned?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

This was an incredibly informative post, thank you. Based on that list, Dems getting the Senate in 2020 looks tough. You mentioned a few possible primary challengers on the liberal end. Outside of the retiring Rs, do you see any that may get a primary challenge from the MAGA crowd? Such as Thom Tillis?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Solaris 2.0 posted:

This was an incredibly informative post, thank you. Based on that list, Dems getting the Senate in 2020 looks tough. You mentioned a few possible primary challengers on the liberal end. Outside of the retiring Rs, do you see any that may get a primary challenge from the MAGA crowd? Such as Thom Tillis?

They might try again on Lamar Alexander, they tried to primary him in 2008 and 2014

But yeah, they really blew it in 2016, since that class should be the best Democratic map. They probably win an extra 4 Senate seats back then under a theoretical Obama 3rd Term election with good candidates. We gotta quit recruiting empty suits with no charisma, regardless of how many favors people owe them or how well they can self finance. But now we're getting into campaign finance reform, and thats a different kettle of fish

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 7, 2018

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Anyone know what the status is on the AZ election? Can these uncounted votes put Sienna over the top?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone know what the status is on the AZ election? Can these uncounted votes put Sienna over the top?

I think I saw they won't even start the rest of the counting until tomorrow. The vast majority of remaining votes are in areas that went for Sinema, but its a question of how much the absentee ballots look like the day of ballots. If they're the same or bluer, she should win.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

The Glumslinger posted:

Iowa
Incumbent Joni Ernst (R)
Tea Party senator, you might remember her as the Hog Castration lady. After Tom Harkin (D) retired in 2014, she beat her challenger by 9%. This seat isn't as bad as it looks, 3/4 Iowa house seats went for Dems last night. They narrowly reelected a Republican governor last night, so it'll be tough. Iowa is gonna get a lot of attention from Dems due to the primary, so they might have a decent ground game to help put them over the edge if they can recruit someone good.

So, 2 easy pickups, plus another 3-4 more if things go well

She's not going anywhere. She hasn't done anything outrageous and is about as standard issue Iowa conservative as you can find.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
A good friend of mine provided some after-action commentary about election fuckery in Porter County, Indiana.

quote:

The night before the election, the Democratic Party relayed my name to Becky Rauch in the
Porter County government as someone interested in working the polls the next day. I received a
call shortly before 9pm from Becky, who explained the process and offered to have me work as
a Democratic Judge in Center Township precinct 23. The polling location was Prince of Peace
Lutheran Church. She explained that since the Inspector for that precinct was a Republican, I
would need to assist in transporting the ballots back to the county building after they were
counted, and while on the call she emailed me a list of training videos on how to be a judge.
There were two precincts at my polling place, 23 and 32. Both inspectors were present, as were
all 4 clerks and three judges. Two of our judges were Democrats, one was a high school
student, and the fourth (the Republican judge for 23) did not arrive or respond to calls. I sent
Becky a text notifying her that this judge did not appear and received no response.
We opened our polling place at exactly 6:00am, and polling went quite smoothly for the entire
day, with the exception of the lingering knowledge that the absentee ballots were many hours
late. Those ballots never arrived. We closed the polling place at exactly 6:00pm. After about two
hours of waiting and calling County officials, we were finally told by two different officials to pack
up the polling location and come in. We did so, and I accompanied our inspector to the County
Administration Building.
We arrived in the parking garage shortly before 9pm. A crowded line of judges and inspectors
with suitcases had formed that spilled out into the parking garage. Most had not received their
absentee ballots. Those who had were being summoned to the front of the line. One man
angrily left the scene with a full suitcase in tow. A uniformed officer returned a short time later,
carrying only the suitcase. Someone walked through the line shortly thereafter carrying several
water bottles and a bundle of Subway sandwiches, which were just enough to allow anyone with
a health condition to eat something while we all waited.
We received the following explanations from County officials or others present, who did not
identify themselves. One said that this delay was caused by two departments, the Voter
Registration Office and the Clerk’s Office, not working together. Another said that she was a
kindergarten teacher who had been recruited by the County to count absentee ballots. A third
(quite a while later) said that the procedure had been just changed to allow poll workers to leave
without waiting for the absentee ballots to be counted, but the staff in the hallway continued to
call anyone whose absentee ballots had been delivered to their precinct to the front of the line.
After nearly two hours in line, we arrived at the tables set up in a small atrium at the center of
the building, where our suitcase was checked. This process went relatively smoothly, and we
left at approximately 11pm the same way we came in. The line of poll workers was nearly as
long as it was when we arrived.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

They might try again on Lamar Alexander, they tried to primary him in 2008 and 2014

But yeah, they really blew it in 2016, since that class should be the best Democratic map. They probably win an extra 4 Senate seats back then under a theoretical Obama 3rd Term election with good candidates. We gotta quit recruiting empty suits with no charisma, regardless of how many favors people owe them or how well they can self finance. But now we're getting into campaign finance reform, and thats a different kettle of fish

I just looked up the 2016 senate election on Wikipedia and Oomf, I know we were all freaking out about Trump that night, but my god you are right did the Democrats just fail so spectacularly.

Stolen from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_elections,_2016

Party Republican Democratic
Leader's seat Kentucky Nevada
Seats before 54 44
Seats after 52 46
Seat change Decrease 2 Increase 2
Popular vote 40,402,790 51,496,682
Percentage 42.4% 53.8%
Swing Decrease 9.3% Increase 10.0%
Seats up 24 10
Races won 22 12

Bold is mine. Republicans had 24 seats up that election, and won 22 of them. This is despite getting about 11 million fewer votes in total. This shows both how much Democratic party just failed in 2016, but also just how undemocratic the Senate is given our current demographic makeup.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was pretty happy with the results from Connecticut. The only votes I truly felt good about were for Murphy for Senator and Tong for AG. I pretty much voted straight Dem with an exception to the Green party for Secretary of State if I'm not mistaken, but aside from the former two none of the candidates resonated with me.

I'll admit I only spent a good three hours researching the candidates before mailing in my ballot, and to be honest I know a lot that's going to happen isn't really going to impact me as an 8+ year ex-pat (and going strong...) but I do care about Connecticut and wanted the best for those that've stayed there.

So that said, I'm a bit worried about the governorship flipping to a republican

Turns out that was the case this morning when I checked the results, but the final count seems to have ended up with Ned Lamont coming out on top (I re-checked because I had forgotten their names). So I'm pretty relieved about that because that Stefanowski fellow seemed like bad news. I think that leaves Connecticut with the Democrats still in control of everything, and here's hoping that they can improve on things because from what little I know Malloy did not finish up beloved in any way.

Yep. We emerged last night with trifecta control of the state government.
The Republicans once again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the governorship. Narrowly, but a loss is a loss.
I went to bed not knowing the results with Stefanowski on top, feeling like huge poo poo.
Woke up next morning and checked the phone on the john, and man that felt good to see that we were staying D.

My heart aches like poo poo for Floridians, but us Nutmeggers can feel pretty amazing after last night. Just about everything worked out (except for my state senator, but alas).

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

To anyone who hasn't checked, Tester has pulled out the win! MT Sen holds!

If Sinema pulls out this last race it will absolutely poo poo on Trumps attempts to spin this defeat, especially since it will come a full two days after his declaration of victory and probably headline that night's news as a result. The timing will make it almost as bad as not pulling off a net gain at all.

Whats the update on the last few house races? Are we still looking at +32 to 35, or could we even bust that?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
People in KS loving hate Pat Roberts. He was narrowly reelected last time. This is a very winnable seat.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Amused to Death posted:

This was all accomplished despite Governor Malloy being one of the least popular governors in the nation. Dems began the night with an 80-71 standing in the state House, and an 18-18 tie in the state senate, and it is now 92-59 and 22-12(two not decided yet) respectively. Also we elected our first black woman to congress.

Anyways, where is my legal weed, Ned?

Yeah poo poo I forgot about Hayes. She got elected in one of the redder/whiter corners of the state too, which is crazy cool in of itself.

For my part I continue to be represented by a loony hippie granny. And am happy to be so.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Colorado
Incumbent: Cory Gardner (R)
Kinda middle of the road republican who seems like he does his best to never get talked about at all. Beat a Democratic incumbent (Mark Udall) by about 2% in 2014. Colorado has continued to shift blue since then and if Democrats have any chance at all to retake the Senate, this is a must win seat.

Solid disagree on his being a middle of the road Republican. His voting record percentage wrt voting the party line during the Trump administration is in the upper nineties and any Democratic challenger could hammer him on how, by extension, he doesn't represent CO values. Gardner is a scumbag but the seat should be a layup.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Grape posted:

For my part I continue to be represented by a loony hippie granny. And am happy to be so.

This can only mean Rosa, right?? Also I like how Murphy walks across the state and pops up on buses at times to talk with people

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
A shot in the dark, but does anyone know where I can get raw data on the election results from last night? I'd like to do some analysis and visualization on local races in New York State, but I can't seem to find the actual raw data to let me do the manipulation. I contacted the board of elections to ask for the data, but you would think that there would be an easier source.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SpitztheGreat posted:

A shot in the dark, but does anyone know where I can get raw data on the election results from last night? I'd like to do some analysis and visualization on local races in New York State, but I can't seem to find the actual raw data to let me do the manipulation. I contacted the board of elections to ask for the data, but you would think that there would be an easier source.

https://nyenr.elections.ny.gov/

You might be able to find what you're looking for there. Typically the SoS office will give you breakdowns, but the analysis/visualization is really on the compiler of the data.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Solid disagree on his being a middle of the road Republican. His voting record percentage wrt voting the party line during the Trump administration is in the upper nineties and any Democratic challenger could hammer him on how, by extension, he doesn't represent CO values. Gardner is a scumbag but the seat should be a layup.

Updated, if you have any more specifics on him I'll add them in. I agree that it is a seat that the Dems should win, hopefully we can get someone good in there

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

I want Danica to keep her seat because I think if she stays in the state house, she would be a great progressive primary challenger to Tim Kaine. Kaine is simply not doing enough on mental health, prescription drug prices, and labor. He made promises to me when I confronted him about it at a meet and greet. I think Danica is our gal to really get the progressive wing of VA in full swing.

Plus. We NEED more LGBTQ voices in Congress. Its our loving time now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

friendbot2000 posted:

I want Danica to keep her seat because I think if she stays in the state house, she would be a great progressive primary challenger to Tim Kaine. Kaine is simply not doing enough on mental health, prescription drug prices, and labor. He made promises to me when I confronted him about it at a meet and greet. I think Danica is our gal to really get the progressive wing of VA in full swing.

Plus. We NEED more LGBTQ voices in Congress. Its our loving time now.

Senator Roem would loving own.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

jokes posted:

https://nyenr.elections.ny.gov/

You might be able to find what you're looking for there. Typically the SoS office will give you breakdowns, but the analysis/visualization is really on the compiler of the data.

Yeah, I saw that website. In order to really do the analysis/visualization I want to do I really need the data at the precinct level. That data also isn't very easy to use, I'd like something formatted as a table if I could. I'll check with the SOS office.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

Senator Roem would loving own.

Could she run for state senate in 2019?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Could she run for state senate in 2019?

I have no idea! That would also be cool though. I hope she has a long and successful career. :yayclod: