Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
So... who's ready for 202019!

Someone mentioned the VA elections already and I know we got enough commonwealthies around here that that will be well covered, but I want to highlight a few other things of importance.

3 Governors races

Louisiana: 1st term Democratic gov of Louisiana running for reelection John Bel Edwards. By no means from the left end of the party it could still be the indicator of how things are on the ground in Louisiana that we didn't get in this election.

Kentucky: Republican Matt Bevin gently caress Matt Bevin. Kentucky is a hard climb though much like Tennessee and for many of the same reasons

Mississippi: Current Governor term limited, so technically an open seat but... yeah.. A Democrat getting above 40% in Mississippi is generally over performing and despite the African American base there isn't a wide bench here and you're mostly getting for a wealthy liberal lawyer campaigning on the hopes the Republicans nominate a a child molester.

So.not a lot of big opportunities here.

Louisiana, and Mississippi will also have their legislative elections (both under full Republican control) as well as the already mentioned Virginia (Republican controlled but very close) and the lower house in NJ (Dem controlled).

There are also a bunch of Mayoral races(I have the feeling Chicago in particular may draw some interest) as well as the normal impossible sprawl of local election dates.

While the big headliner races get all the media attention, you build the party from the base up and that means state and local. Go forth, and write when you find good works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm sticking by my prediction that LeBron is gonna run for office shortly after he retires. He's richer than most of the self-funded assholes out there and already has a huge fanbase

I don't know, there could be lots of reasons he demanded the Lakers trade him to the Iowa Wolves.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, thats what a good Dem presidential candidate would do in 2020

Not quite. Beto was specific to energizing Democratic communities in Texas and put a lot of effort into one state. a President can't do tha. Money poured into Texas because of betos campaign, a presidential campaign by it's nature has to spend across states, not only that but with multiple paths to victory the sort of obsessive focus needed to reenergize the Ohio Democratic party won't exist. Yes a strong presidential campaign can and will have coat tails, but it can't on its own change the politics of a state. Look at NC, FL and IN post 2008