Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Looking almost certain that Florida is heading for a hand recount. Hope you guys are ready for weeks of this poo poo.

Totally worth it if Nelson and/or Gillum make it.

Hell, even getting Nikki Fried into the Agriculture job would be huge.

Not getting my hopes up, but I'm glad it's not over.

Edit: also if you know anyone in Florida who submitted a provisional ballot tell them to make loving sure they've ratified it by 5pm today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

So excited to get to learn the minutia of Florida ballots again, 18 years was too long

https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1060611342661500928

https://twitter.com/KevinCate/status/1060609438468501505

https://twitter.com/KevinCate/status/1060610080079536128

loving Florida, I swear to God.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

What exactly happens during a machine recount that you believe the second time is more accurate than the first? Or is it just that if the result changes, that indicates you need a hand recount to figure it out?

Machine recount probably won't change poo poo, it's about getting to hand recount and being able to actually open up the ballots and inspecting them to see if they were legally tossed out.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mdixon55/status/1060682437657792513?s=21

Jfc

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo it’s really starting to look like it’s gonna turn the way of Nelson and Scott and Rubio and the rest are gonna mudsling and sue their way into just erasing Broward County

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Handsome Ralph posted:

A machine recount wouldn't do much, but a hand recount would allow Dem lawyers to contest any votes that were omitted or thrown out for whatever reason.

You've also got the whole issue of Broward county missing a bunch of votes as well as some teacher finding a box of provisional ballots that were just left behind in her classroom after election day.

Nelson's recount lawyer seems to be extremely confident that there's enough votes. Obviously he's got a horse here, but there's no gain for him running his mouth.

Not getting my hopes up, especially if this gets litigated all the way up to the Supreme Court, but if it makes Republicans sweat, I'm all for it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, short term I feel like a progressive Dem Governor would have a much more meaningful and direct impact on the lives of Floridians than an uninspiring white dude getting outvoted during two years.

I get that the long game on retaking the Senate is super important, but Gillum is an inspiring dude who would probably significantly mobilize the African American community and progressives at large in 2020.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

xeria posted:

I really, really wanted to have Gillum as the governor, but the most realistic scenario seems to be that Nelson might be able to edge Skeletor in a thorough hand recount while Gillum probably wouldn't make up the ground necessary (and seems to still be outside the threshold to force a hand recount himself) to flip the governorship. If we have to choose one, then I'd choose the one that has the best shot of happening.

Oh yeah, definitely agree that the recount needs to focus on Nelson but in a world where I could choose one or the other to win their bid, I'd choose Gillum.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Honestly if the net result is that republicans waste more money on a candidate that's gonna lose, then fundraise away.

I'm kidding, it's garbage and undermines trust in the democratic system

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Grape posted:

Americans largely associate Italy with guys in white beaters and gold chains yelling at each-other while wildly gesturing.

To be fair, so do Italians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone in Miami voting for commissioner? Hoping someone's already done the research for me into these people