Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah. Nelson has an outside shot with a machine recount, and a good one with a hand recount.

Gillum is probably screwed, but hey--miracles happen. Will be REALLY happy if my governor isn't an Actual Nazi.

Also, any votes Gillum picks up are probably votes for Nelson, too. I don't see a particularly robust Gillum/Scott demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Pakled posted:

So how the hell did Nelson get more votes than Gillum? I expected Gillum to get more than Nelson cause he was the more "exciting" candidate and Rick Scott is a big name in the state. I can imagine someone voting Gillum/Scott on a misguided "political outsiders are good" ideology but what kind of person votes Nelson/DeSantis?

Nelson is an inoffensive white guy. Lot easier for racists to pull that handle and either vote in the nazi or leave gov blank. It's poo poo, but welcome to America, especially the South.

If they can choose the order of recounts, I think having Nelson go first would be advantageous since it would be more thorough and might uncover more ballots for Gillum since it's a hand-recount and Gillum is probably not going to beat machine-recount numbers.

...also, his margin is way less than Gillum's to overcome. I'd rather net one more senate seat (and gently caress over Scott) than risk going over for time.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Because I was curious, here is the list of every interesting state race that will happen in 2019. It's, uh, not the most interesting list.

Virginia will be interesting---dems could actually capture the state leg.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

SoS oversees balloting, IIRC. Given that the R is a chud who wants to remove Spanish language from the ballots and would probably take cues from Kemp, the Dem pulling it out would definitely mean a more receptive/playable AZ for 2020 and 2022. Given how Ohio has turned out, this could be crucial for electoral politics.

Still waaay too early to tell though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

If you're using the awful app, make sure you have the setting checked to ensure embedded tweets display in a post.

...that's a setting? :aaaaa:

This changes everything

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

Incumbency is mostly campaign funding and name recognition. Rick Scott had a lot more of those than Nelson did, and he benefited from the hurricanes.

With a 10k margin of victory, we're back in "what caused hillary to lose" territory, where literally anything can be the deciding factor.
-Broward ballot design? Yep!
-Nelson having next to zero spanish language outreach? Oh yeah!
-Hurricanes letting Scott look like 'concerned guy'? Sure!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I still get back to how Rick "Mr 5th Amendment" Scott ever got elected to anything, ever....

Alabama almost elected a child molester to the senate.

Personal history doesn't matter, just team affiliation.

...plus it helps that the florida democratic party is only slightly more lively than a fish that's been on the dock for 20 minutes.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

The thought of Ohio being permanently lost is legit scary because the common wisdom, which I can recall being repeated even when I was small child hearing about President-elect Clinton, was that Ohio is kind of the political axis of america, the quintessential bellweather for national and especially presidential politics. Both teams could win and which one wins it sets the tone for the rest of the nation. It's hard to process that just not being the case anymore, even in a world where Georgia, North Carolina, Arizona and even Texas are trending more and more blue every year and the electoral map has plenty of other places for democrats to go win.

I hope Ohio's state party and fix their mess. Sherrod Brown seems really cool, and if he can win without being a Manchin and selling his soul then its absurd that other Ds in the state can't.

It was convenient shorthand. Ohio was something of a battleground state with enough population/EV to really help/hurt. But it's becoming less and less purple and more red as demographics and economic realities shift.

Florida is more concerning, just because it's an even bigger pile of EV--though the new re-enfranchisement may help matters. If GA, NC, and TX continue on their trajectories Ohio will be irrelevant.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Isn't the panhandle high enough elevation that Florida the state will continue to exist no problem? Not that nearly as many people will be living there

Yeah, barring some ridic waterworld sea level rise the only part really at risk is south of lake okeechobee.

More realistic is that Miami beach is gone, rest of south florida loses a few blocks, but the drinking water aquifer rises in salinity. That will necessitate desalinization plants or mass importation of water from up north...both incredibly expensive public works projects.

Florida just passed an amendment requiring a 2/3 majority to raise taxes.

South florida will still be there in 20 years, but it might not be all that great a place to live.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

You know, at the rate she's self-destructing, I'd say that if Espy had another month he might have been able to pull it out.

That's what they said about DeSantis. Never underestimate the nakedly racist vote, especially in the deep south.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

That would be the science curriculum they want, yes.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Donated to my boy Lee, a person I'm pretty sure has never worn blackface in VA (which should make him gov by default, but what do I know?)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I hope so too. If people could post names of NoVA candidates they determine don't suck, and what information they have, that would be great.

Like, look at this poo poo:

Well, I think Priscilla has an honest face. Plus, she doesn't see color!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Liquid Banjo posted:

Apparently the law they're referring to states that the Kentucky general assembly can basically decide who actually wins but yeah it's probably a bit more complicated than that. Would love to know if they can actually gently caress this up for Beshear.

One thing I have learned these last few centuries: nothing is beneath the modern GOP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

mcmagic posted:

They might just pass a law basically stripping the governor's office of all it's power like they did in WI.

That's already the case, for legislative things. The Gov Veto is overridden by a simple majority, which a bill needs to even get passed.

They could probably gut it even more by cutting back on executive branch powers, but that invites a court challenge.