Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Well, the CT governor race was a lot closer than expected, but Ned LaMont won in the end. Just as importantly, the Democrats took back control of the State Senate(it had been in an 18-18 tie) and expanded their majority in the State House.
https://www.courant.com/politics/elections/hc-election-connecticut-general-assembly-20181101-story.html
I won't quote the article here, because it's local CT news and most people won't care about the details(I hardly care, except for the fact that I'm *still* represented by a Republican in the State House :sigh:)

In any case, the State Democratic Party has the power to do whatever it wants to. Hopefully that will mean good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Angry_Ed posted:

You can be outspoken and passionate without being an rear end in a top hat that alienates people, and unfortunately it sounds like Lee didn't manage that part.
What did he do, expose the fact that the Virginia Dems don't consider repealing Right-to-Work a priority? Because they very obviously don't want to repeal it, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. Blaming Lee Carter for it seems like the easy way out, regardless of his culpability, because it concentrates blame on the one leftist rather than Virginia Democrats more generally. Personally, I think it's good to have clarity on where elected representatives stand on such pressing issues.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
So, I'm really pissed about Connecticut right now.
Prior to today, Connecticut was doing phased vaccinations: first healthcare workers, then people 75+, and recently started with people 65+. This was Phase 1b, and essential workers(teachers, grocery store workers, postal workers, etc.) and people with comorbidities(like comprimised immune systems) were supposed to be eligible to receive the vaccine by early next month.

But today, Gov. Ned Lamont abruptly announced a total alteration to the state's policy:
https://twitter.com/GovNedLamont/status/1363933954315751424

Basically, it's going to a completely age-based approach, and throwing people with comorbidities, disabilities, and non-teacher "essential workers" under the bus, in contravention of the CDC's recommendations.
Here's an article about it, I'll quote some choice bits:
https://ctmirror.org/2021/02/22/bre...ritized-by-age/

quote:

“I’m going to focus on the old business motto, KISS: Keep it simple, stupid — because a lot of complications result from states that tried to finely slice the salami and it got very complicated to administer,” Lamont said. “The CDC said grocery and food service workers [get priority]. Then we started getting calls of, ‘I’m not in a grocery [store] but I’m in a convenience store and it’s a convenience store that serves … we have doughnuts, we have coffee, we have food.’ How about, ‘I’m a big box store, but I also have food; I think we should all be prioritized as well.’ … Those are the type of questions we had. And it was very difficult.”
I'll tell you what's hard: working in a grocery store during a pandemic filled with idiot customers going the wrong way and not wearing their masks correctly and management not giving a poo poo because they spend 90% of their time in their offices while there are new cases weekly, but I digress...

quote:

The shift by the Lamont administration represents a significant break from the recommendations issued in December by the federal Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), the group that advises the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on who should receive priority in the vaccine rollout. The ACIP recommendations had prioritized grocery store employees, public transit staff, food and agricultural workers and others in Phase 1B of the rollout.

quote:

eople with underlying medical conditions outlined by the CDC were also next to receive the vaccine. Conditions included cancer, chronic kidney disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), Down syndrome, heart conditions (heart failure, coronary artery disease, cardiomyopathies), weakened immune system from solid organ transplant, obesity, severe obesity, pregnancy, sickle cell disease, smoking and Type 2 diabetes.

Reiss said that while few other states had overhauled the vaccine rollout the way Connecticut announced on Monday, the administration feels it is the right thing to do.

“Who are we to decide which conditions are more serious? We’re trying to get as many people vaccinated as quickly and equitably as possible, and we feel this approach does that,” he said. “We feel that doing it this way, it’s very clear for everyone to understand, and it also provides predictability, so people have an idea of when they’re getting vaccinated.”

Still, in making their recommendations, members of the ACIP stressed that frontline workers, such as postal staff and transit employees, be prioritized because more people of color work in those jobs, and those communities have been disproportionately harmed by the pandemic.

Black residents in Connecticut are 2½ times more likely to die from a coronavirus infection than whites when adjusted for age. The death rate for Hispanics is 67% higher than for white residents.

“Racial and ethnic minority groups are disproportionately represented in many essential industries, which may be contributing to COVID-19 racial and ethnic health disparities. Jurisdictions may want to consider the distribution of the workforce in these industries as they prioritize vaccine allocation,” the CDC guidance from Jan. 1 reads.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised a multi-millionaire old white dude doesn't give a poo poo about workers or black people, but it still sucks. Sorry to interrupt Virginia Chat.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Voyager I posted:

I'm an 'essential' worker in Connecticut. Guess I'm making some angry phone calls tomorrow afternoon.
I should too, but I’m kind of glad I rage-posted on social media today instead of unleashing a stream of obscenities on some poor intern. Their bosses deserve that, but they don’t.