Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Man, gently caress you Ohio. Who are the 200,000 idiots who voted for Brown and Dewine? Doesn't look like anything even changed at the top level. Hopefully the redistricting in 2020 will help with that a bit.

Not sure whats going on at the lower levels, though. Looks like Cuyahoga did pretty well, but its Cuyahoga, so of course it did. There anywhere I can see a nice overview of how the rest of Ohio's counties fared? I want to see if the wave did anything here. There's this https://www.news5cleveland.com/election-results, but I'm not seeing an easy way to check for flips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Mahoning posted:

Regarding Ohio turning permanently Red, I think that’s a bit premature and doesn’t take enough things into account. I think the biggest challenge is just the lack of quality Dem candidates here. The Democratic Party has been pushing dud after dud in statewide races for over a decade.

There’s just no bench and no opportunities for would-be young Democratic candidates. Fixing the gerrymander and opening up 2-3 more districts would help.

That said, Ohio will still vote blue for the right candidate. They did for Obama twice. But he’s literally the only thing close to an inspiring candidate that has been on the ballot here in a long time (ok and Sherrod Brown to a smaller degree). Ohio just needs a Beto to really inspire some young voters and create the next generation of politically active Dems.

I was thinking about that earlier, too, about how Ohio needs its own Beto. Purely as someone who goes around the entire state getting people excited to vote dem. They can even lose like Beto did, too, as long as they help bring life back into the party and flip positions in red counties that'd be unattainable otherwise. Hell, maybe Brown can be that guy, Ohioans like him. I'm not sure how much he actually campaigns, though; I've been staring at federal and nationwide poo poo since I got into politics, and I don't know too much about where I actually live.

Joe Schiavoni looks like a pretty good dude, too. Not sure if not being in office would hurt him, though. He'd have more time to build coalitions and start putting poo poo together, I'd think.

I guess we have 4 years to start finding some good people, at least. Pretty sure there's no state-wide elections until 2022.

This post made me think about college towns, so I looked up Ashland to see how they did and loving lol, rip my hometown, even Brown got creamed there. Maybe AU is chuddier than I remember.