Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Same but in Maryland - didn't do my due process on the school boards, but luckily we're generally a progressive county/state.

Speaking of MD, Hogan won (by a large margin) but that wasn't a surprise. He's avoided being seen as close to Trump and has promised to continue working with a legislator, which tbf he doesn't have a choice as the Dems have a lock on the state house.

More locally, Marc Elrich won county executive in Moco which is good! He has some...backwards ideas regarding development and is seen as a bit too friendly to NIMBYs but overall he was a better candidate than Floreen or (lol) Ficker.

All in all it wasn't the night that we hoped for, but Dems still took the house and just as importantly, we took some state legislators and governors mansions back.

My suggestion to everyone? Take a break for the holidays, see family, friends, do hobbies. RELAX. Do anything BUT worry about politics. We've earned it, and your health/sanity need the break. However come January when the new congress gets sworn in, it will be time for all of us get back in the trenches and focus on 2020!

'Sup, neighbor. In my bit of PG county we replaced our school board rep with an actual teacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

https://twitter.com/amaxsmith/status/1224753359850295305

This one is very :psyduck: that this wasn't already the case.

Yeah, that one caught my eye too.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Is there anything to do about the bill in Virginia pushing Applied Behavior Analysis?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

friendbot2000 posted:

Not really. Not should you want to imo. The bill regulates the use of ABA in schools through the Dept of Education and provides more resources towards oversight and accreditation of therapists using it. Furthermore ABA is more an umbrella term for the therapies that are underneath it like PRT(Pivotal Response), The Early Start Denver Model (ESDM), or Discrete Trial Training (DTT). DTT was the OG treatment and has since been updated in recent decades to eliminate the more problematic punitive aspects of it. Now only positive reinforcement is the acceptable practice of DTT. This bill will make sure that is the case because it regulates the use of these therapies under the ABA umbrella so you don't have weirdo evangelicals and Pentecostals doing snakebite rituals to get rid of your child's autism and calling it ABA.

Iirc play therapy falls under the ABA umbrella too

I know a lot of autistic people who are very unhappy with a lot of what ABA involves and consider it abuse.

Edit: Not actually interested in going into the details of ABA. More interested in finding out what could be done to make sure that the worst parts don't make it into schools.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 11, 2020

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Pander posted:

Passing a bill to regulate it's use and better fund oversight, maybe, as described in the post you quoted.

Except a lot of stuff that people still do in ABA that doesn't involve physical harm can still be abusive. Just saying that it "regulates" things isn't enough.