Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, is there any info out there for the upcoming VA election?

Primaries are next Tuesday for house of delegate and state senate candidates as well as for local offices.

Blue Virginia seems to talk a lot about different VA districts and what's going on there regarding elections.

If anyone has good information for the VA elections, feel free to post them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Just got back from voting in the Virginia primaries. How common is it to receive a Democratic sample ballot from someone in front of the polling place even though both candidates on the ballot are Democrats?

The person filled in on the sample ballot just so happened to be the same person who was on the shirt of the guy who was passing out the sample ballots. The sample ballot was also missing the State Senate and County Sheriff races, so it seems that it would be kind of confusing for people getting a sample ballot and finding out it had a lot of missing information on it when they fill out the real ballots.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Rates out here have been steady as ever - I’ve found it’s more of a trust thing to come to your door with an unexpected knock. More dense areas get more answers; the suburbs are far more distrustful. I find that genuinely amusing.

The endorsement list from the Virginia AFL-CIO is out, and endorsements hinged almost exclusively on whether the candidate supports repealing Right to Work. So no matter how the DNC feels about Lee Carter, he’s fully embraced by Labor and it owns so very much. (Being the author of the drat bill certainly helps, you know?)

I tried looking for this endorsement list online. I checked the Virginia AFL-CIO site and their twitter but I couldn't find it. Would you happen to have a link?

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

So for the guy who was asking, here's the state list of Virginia AFL-CIO endorsements. The litmus test was "Do you support repealing Right To Work laws?" Everyone on here, to my knowledge, is on board with that.

We're doing voter walks on Saturdays again, so if you find yourself in the Beltway area in the next six weeks and wanna eat donuts and make our commonwealth suck a little less, PM your intrepid moron goon, and we can hang out. VA Voter Goonsquad: The Modern Successful Goon Project.

Thanks. I was planning to volunteer for the Amy Laufer campaign in Senate district 17, and this endorsement makes me more willing to go canvass for her. I appreciate it.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

To those voting in Virginia today, be careful about the people outside polling places with OneVirginia2021.

The constitutional amendment that they are claiming does away with gerrymandering is actually much worse and solidifies republican control over redistricting. The proposed amendment gives Republicans the ability to veto any plan the redistricting commission proposes, which then lets the Republican Virginia Supreme Court make the districts instead.

Listen to delegate Mark Levine

quote:

Unfortunately, the petitions — which go to me — and are signed by people of goodwill who oppose gerrymandering do exactly the opposite. They support a 2019 Republican constitutional amendment proposal to give Republicans control over Virginia district lines forever. So they do the opposite of what the people signing them want done! It’s actually pretty sneaky. And a lot of good people are being fooled. So I’m writing you to sound the alarm and asking you to spread the word.

Mark Levine's take is pretty thorough, but you can find more information about the flawed Virginia constitutional amendment here

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Was the vote on that today? Because the only choice I had was the presidential nominee. Were they just looking for petition signers?

Just petition signers yesterday at the polls, but it is looking likely the General Assembly might put it on the ballot for November as a Constitutional Amendment. It just got out of the House Privileges and Elections Committee on Monday and will next be voted on by the entire VA house.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Why would it take two years to legalize in VA? The general assembly could pass it in the 2021 session and he could sign it quick. Don't take chances delaying while you actually have Dems control everything except for the State Supreme Court for one more year.

The only reason to delay it is if the VA Dems are planning to use it as a way to gotv in the 2021 gov and house of delegate elections or to make legalization a state constitutional amendment.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Lee Carter just announced he is running for governor in Virginia.

https://twitter.com/carterforva/status/1345053262848946177

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Getting every Virginia gubernatorial candidate on the record as to whether they support abolishing right to work in Virginia and giving government employees the right to strike is worth having Lee Carter run.

I am probably most curious to see whether unions in Virginia will actually endorse the most pro-union candidate running.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

When I think of the labor vote in Virginia I think of abolishing right to work and giving public employees the right to strike.

No candidate except Lee mentions these anywhere on their sites.

This is in a year where public sector workers will finally get a chance to collectively bargain in Virginia for the first time in 30 years.Thanks to the state senate collective bargaining only applies if the specific locality allows it Why is no other candidate running on moving to these next steps to benefit labor rights?

When I think of the environmental vote I think of ending fracking and stopping the Atlantic Coast pipeline and the Mountain Valley pipeline. Why is no other candidate running on stopping fracking and these pipelines?

When I think of police/prison reform I think of defunding the police, ending the death penalty, ending private prisons, and ending cash bail. Why is no other candidate running on these issues?

Lee running puts these issues in the forefront. There is a clear difference to what he is calling for and what other candidates are calling for. As I said earlier in the thread I am most interested to see whether unions in Virginia will actually support and endorse the most pro-union candidate running.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Am I crazy or isn't repealing right to work something that is specifically in the VA dems platform? and yet when push came to shove only 13 of 55 VA house Dems voted to end right work?

Lee's bill wasn't getting out of committee if he didn't pull this stunt. It would have died just like it has the past two years. Just like his bill giving teachers the right to strike died in committee because it is not something the majority of Virginia Democratic politicians support and they prefer not looking bad by voting against it.

I am wondering why a state controlled by a Democratic house and a Democratic Senate with a Democratic governor cannot pass a repeal of right to work which is something their own party's central committee unanimously supported.

The answer is that the majority of Virginia Democratic politicians don't really care about repealing right to work. This vote put them on the record and they now have to be held accountable for their vote.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Is Lee the only VA gubernatorial candidate with a unionized campaign staff? yes

Which Virginia unions are against Carter? Have they made public statements about him or his actions because I am having a hard time trying to find them.

I'm having just as hard a time finding anything about right to work on any of the other VA governor candidate's websites. It doesn't seem to be a priority for them or at least an issue they want to highlight.

I don't think Lee will win the governor's race. I think he wants to make it to the debates and get our future governor on the record about ending right to work in Virginia. That is the goal. This should be at minimum what VA unions should demand of the candidates for their union's support in the primary.

Abolishing right to work is already part of the VA Dem platform and for the second straight year the repeal has gone nowhere, thanks to being buried in committee both last year and this year by VA Democratic leadership.

Lee's actions have shown unions that at least 42 VA House of Delegate Democrats do not support ending Right to Work. That is on the record. I want unions to hold them accountable for that vote. I want all four other Democratic candidates for governor on the record as well (and lieutenant governor candidates) and I want unions to hold them accountable as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Is the right to work repeal on the legislative schedule this year?

I was assured last year that Virginia Democrats totally supported it honest pinky-swear, but were forced against their will to vote it down because Lee Carter disregarded parliamentary decorum and that could not be allowed to stand regardless of the consequences to working people.

So now that he's been booted out in favor of someone who respects the process, Right to Work repeal should sail through right? Especially considering how much Democrats depend on support from unions I can only assume they're doing everything they can to strengthen unions ahead of a gubernatorial election that's looking closer than anyone thought.

" The Virginia Mercury posted:

However, McAuliffe was a little clearer in a discussion earlier this year with the Democratic Business Council of Northern Virginia.

“If it came to my desk, sure I’d sign it,” McAuliffe said according to a video clip of the event. “But listen, you can’t get it through the House and Senate.

Former and possible future D governor basically admitted a repeal of RTW can't pass through the current democratic controlled House and Senate. State senate elections aren't until 2023. RTW repeal is not looking promising.