Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I was pretty happy with the results from Connecticut. The only votes I truly felt good about were for Murphy for Senator and Tong for AG. I pretty much voted straight Dem with an exception to the Green party for Secretary of State if I'm not mistaken, but aside from the former two none of the candidates resonated with me.

I'll admit I only spent a good three hours researching the candidates before mailing in my ballot, and to be honest I know a lot that's going to happen isn't really going to impact me as an 8+ year ex-pat (and going strong...) but I do care about Connecticut and wanted the best for those that've stayed there.

So that said, I'm a bit worried about the governorship flipping to a republican

Turns out that was the case this morning when I checked the results, but the final count seems to have ended up with Ned Lamont coming out on top (I re-checked because I had forgotten their names). So I'm pretty relieved about that because that Stefanowski fellow seemed like bad news. I think that leaves Connecticut with the Democrats still in control of everything, and here's hoping that they can improve on things because from what little I know Malloy did not finish up beloved in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Well, the CT governor race was a lot closer than expected, but Ned LaMont won in the end. Just as importantly, the Democrats took back control of the State Senate(it had been in an 18-18 tie) and expanded their majority in the State House.
https://www.courant.com/politics/elections/hc-election-connecticut-general-assembly-20181101-story.html
I won't quote the article here, because it's local CT news and most people won't care about the details(I hardly care, except for the fact that I'm *still* represented by a Republican in the State House :sigh:)

In any case, the State Democratic Party has the power to do whatever it wants to. Hopefully that will mean good things.

Link doesn't work in Europe. Which is kind of weird for the Courant? My local local paper has that problem but I thought the Hartford Courant was a solid legacy paper or something.

Also didn't the Dems have the Congress and Governorship during Malloy? Things weren't bad then to be fair, but the economy sure wasn't doing anyone favors. Anyway sorry about your state representative. Mine's also Republican though at least our senator is Dem. The state senator choice was tough for me because the Democrat candidate was an absolute unknown and the Republican was solid on Woman's Rights, but bad on gun control (as is my State Representative...) so I figured the other guy couldn't be worse on Woman's Rights. Right?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I down-graded... from CT to France.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Is there a Union thread on the forums? It's not necessarily political but it's not not political. My case is wholly non-US so ultimately unrelated nonetheless.

More on topic, I just want to say reading this thread is a real pick me up. It's cool to see people so involved and full of pragmatic hope. Keep up the good work!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yet another vote for a union thread. There's a post I made in the grad student thread which would be a better fit there.

I'll have a look for that.

Lightning Knight posted:

There is not but if you wanted to make a thread about it I'd certainly read it.

Well it's more a matter of finding out more about unions/joining up so there's not much I could say since I don't know much. Plus my matter is related to France where I work as a teacher and it's a whole other situation. I think the French Pol thread is still around so I'll check there.