Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Although not a complete victory for the forces of less-bad last night (people bought the oil industry's spin about how requiring fracking to be no closer than half a mile from occupied buildings was going to cost us jobs, also my stupid city did not turn out well enough to counteract the entire western half of the state for control of our Congressional district), CO did manage to pass its pair of redistricting amendments.

Ultimately I think this will be game-changing here because the new districts, both at the state legislature level and the federal level, will now be required to be competitive, here defined as "has a realistic chance to change hands every ten years" so every election here, going forward, should be decided solely by turnout, which is, I don't know, probably how it should be.

e: also I'm pretty sure we elected a mayor for the first time in fifty years or so, but there were 16 people running for the office so that's going to a runoff in January. I just don't want the hopefully ironically-named Winner to take the office, she is pond scum.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Quorum posted:

I'm not entirely sure how competitiveness compares with other optimization criteria for nonpartisan redistricting (like compactness and communities of interest), but I'm glad we're getting to see in real life, and whether it's better or worse than some of the other solutions, it'll be an improvement on the status quo.

Unfortunately we won't really know until after the 2020 census, as we aren't going to seat the new (and improved?) redistricting panel until then. Stay tuned in two years for more weird mountain people politics.

Quorum posted:

Yes! Mayor Max is in fact the mayor of the tiny town of Idyllwild. Constitutionally, humans aren't allowed to run for mayor in Idyllwild, they're only allowed to run their pets. It's mostly a ceremonial role, though, and not surprisingly most of the actual work is done by the human chief of staff, but still.

Look, he looks like a Very Good Boy and everything, but I'm seeing here that his deputy mayors are directly related to h and I don't know if I can support that kind of nepotism.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
E quote isn't edit

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

PerniciousKnid posted:

Also early voting, voting for felons, location and capacity rules for voting precincts, etc.

My hope after this election is that Dems nationally make voting rights a core plank in their platform and that state party candidates jump on it because it's got broad appeal and it's difficult to counter without revealing yourself to be a big ole racist (nb depending on the state this may be a benefit for you)

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

Colorado
Incumbent: Cory Gardner (R)
Kinda middle of the road republican who seems like he does his best to never get talked about at all. Beat a Democratic incumbent (Mark Udall) by about 2% in 2014. Colorado has continued to shift blue since then and if Democrats have any chance at all to retake the Senate, this is a must win seat.

Solid disagree on his being a middle of the road Republican. His voting record percentage wrt voting the party line during the Trump administration is in the upper nineties and any Democratic challenger could hammer him on how, by extension, he doesn't represent CO values. Gardner is a scumbag but the seat should be a layup.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

This is a relief, and that is a very Good Dog.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Brony Car posted:

You don't get that level of obedience through liberal dog training. :smuggo:

False, my golden retriever does that all the time and the only three things he cares about are that I get the right brand of kibble, that only registered voters are allowed to pet him during registration drives, and that capitalism is the prime driver of human misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yo I don't know if anybody else lives in southern Colorado but if anyone does and has good politics, I put in to organize a DSA chapter out of Pueblo (I don't want to have to go to the Springs for meetings and you shouldn't either) and you are invited to join me on this goon project.

Preemptive: yes, there are other people involved, this would only be moderately weird and goony.