Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I was pretty happy with the results from Connecticut. The only votes I truly felt good about were for Murphy for Senator and Tong for AG. I pretty much voted straight Dem with an exception to the Green party for Secretary of State if I'm not mistaken, but aside from the former two none of the candidates resonated with me.

I'll admit I only spent a good three hours researching the candidates before mailing in my ballot, and to be honest I know a lot that's going to happen isn't really going to impact me as an 8+ year ex-pat (and going strong...) but I do care about Connecticut and wanted the best for those that've stayed there.

So that said, I'm a bit worried about the governorship flipping to a republican

Turns out that was the case this morning when I checked the results, but the final count seems to have ended up with Ned Lamont coming out on top (I re-checked because I had forgotten their names). So I'm pretty relieved about that because that Stefanowski fellow seemed like bad news. I think that leaves Connecticut with the Democrats still in control of everything, and here's hoping that they can improve on things because from what little I know Malloy did not finish up beloved in any way.

Yep. We emerged last night with trifecta control of the state government.
The Republicans once again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the governorship. Narrowly, but a loss is a loss.
I went to bed not knowing the results with Stefanowski on top, feeling like huge poo poo.
Woke up next morning and checked the phone on the john, and man that felt good to see that we were staying D.

My heart aches like poo poo for Floridians, but us Nutmeggers can feel pretty amazing after last night. Just about everything worked out (except for my state senator, but alas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Amused to Death posted:

This was all accomplished despite Governor Malloy being one of the least popular governors in the nation. Dems began the night with an 80-71 standing in the state House, and an 18-18 tie in the state senate, and it is now 92-59 and 22-12(two not decided yet) respectively. Also we elected our first black woman to congress.

Anyways, where is my legal weed, Ned?

Yeah poo poo I forgot about Hayes. She got elected in one of the redder/whiter corners of the state too, which is crazy cool in of itself.

For my part I continue to be represented by a loony hippie granny. And am happy to be so.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

my bony fealty posted:

You'd think the governor of the state with the highest infant mortality rate would be all for this :shrug:

I want to know in the grand scheme of all countries on earth, where exactly an independent Mississippi would end up development wise.
Somewhere around Albania I imagine.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Blorange posted:

That's already calculated. It turns out that Mississippi clocks in right around Poland at .866, and has the lowest HDI of any state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_Human_Development_Index
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index

Naw I've checked that out before, they explicitly say on their site somewhere that the American states HDI isn't using the same system as the international HDI, and thus you can't compare them.

silence_kit posted:

It has a Human Development Index score which is pretty close to Italy, which is a country American liberals do not turn their noses up to, often wish America was more like, and often spend vast sums of money to go to and visit.

So in other words this butthurt guy from Mississippi pretending his godawful nightmare state is comparable to Italy is going to very heartbroken.

Grape fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 14, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

According to their racial data, the average black person in a bunch of Northeastern states has a better quality of life than the average white person in a bunch of Mississippi river adjacent states.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I spent six months working in the Mississippi Delta. It is barely America as you know it. The water out of tap was beige, the racism rampant, the wages horrifically low, and the hope set to the lowest of ebbs. The most important thing I did was leave.

It is not comparable to Poland. I'm not sure it's comparable to El Salvador. And I say that to say El Salvador is far better than you think it is, and Mississippi far, far worse.

Just to make it extra dystopian, isn't it also dotted with luxurious plantation manors?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

silence_kit posted:

Can you show me where? 'American HDI' seems to have a totally different range of values, so if you tried to compare HDI with 'American HDI' the numbers would be very different. E.g. Mississippi has an 'American HDI' of 3.8, but also has an HDI of 0.866.

I guess the normie HDI did a thing to, I've seen them do it for other countries. I'd still hesitate to compare the data without knowing how things were measured.
The idea that Mississippi is on the level of Cyprus is extremely questionable imo (unless the Cyprus data is counting the north part of the island too).

quote:

I'm not from Mississippi. I just find it amusing that according to this figure of merit, a place that many American Liberals desperately wish that America was more like has almost the same rating as Mississippi, a place that American Liberals can't talk about without sneering. I'm also pretty annoyed by your classism.

I don't think I've ever heard "American liberals" fantasize about being like Italy development wise, nor would I think they would want that. So I have no idea what you're talking about.
Also I love when the occasional Euro thinks it's classism to marvel at how bad Red States gently caress themselves via GOP.
Like you guys don't do the same thing with PiS Poland and the like.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

silence_kit posted:

A lot of American High Culture is just aping Europe and desperately wanting to be like Europe.

Americans largely associate Italy with guys in white beaters and gold chains yelling at each-other while wildly gesturing.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

karthun posted:

It does count all of Cyprus as one state.

I was under the impression that they would survey the de facto territory of the Republic of Cyprus, similar to how I'm almost 100% sure they don't include Taiwan in the PROC data.
Though it would explain the ranking since parts of the North are grody af.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

I don't know how Dino hasn't been drummed out of republican politics yet. He's now lost four elections in a row and you just know he'll end up running for and losing like county executive or something

Sounds like he has a bright future ahead of him in the Connecticut GOP.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

LinYutang posted:

WA-8 has been republican since 1983. Losing it is a big deal.

Yeah, consulting maps shows that district is mostly over the Cascade Curtain.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Chilichimp posted:

Ohio is a midwest red hell even though democrats are casting a majority of the votes. Gerrymandering must die.

Yeah, after PA got fixed up there's not TOO many states with especially grotesque congressional district lines. But goddamn Ohio sure is one of them. The northeast corner is particularly horrifying.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

UCS Hellmaker posted:

All of northern ohio and franklin county is horrid.

Do images not work when uploaded now?

What have you fools done to the Western Reserve??? :whitewater:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Yes yesss, I want that magic media narrative number that will depress Trump more. Gimme the four zero! (also four anything else too would be cool).

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The common fruit fly lives a life span of 40 to 50 days.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean it just feels weird to have a state whose borders are smaller than a single metro area.

Rhode Island is already all but a city-state in name (actually it almost is in name anyway, "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" lol).

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Came here to see Virginia Dem despair.
Turns out quite the opposite lol.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

drilldo squirt posted:

Democrats, have standards.

It was my ignorance of local Virginia politics that I thought this meant the GOP would rush in, but turns out it means young black Lt. Governor takes his place potentially.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Crabtree posted:

The black pulsating vortex of Lefty Hatred is calling for Northam's blood more than the Right and they're currently confused about why no one gives a poo poo about the abortion bill of a sudden.

Oh no I expected the Left to call for the right thing, like more or less with Franken. I was just thinking about how upsetting the whole thing still would be to the Virginians still trying to put together a fragile new blue state... but uh turns out it owns even from a practical angle

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

BREAKING: COURT ORDERS IMMEDIATE LITERAL RELIEF FOR VIRGINIA

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/_ericblanc/status/1097914729836687360

That was quick.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SoggyBobcat posted:

Found this map of the composition of every state legislature in the U.S., thought it might be useful here: https://www.azavea.com/blog/2019/02/12/2019-legislator-map/

Ok so dunno if this is a one off, but that map has CT-23 with the right State Senator (Dennis Bradley) and..... uh gets his party wrong.

So I'm wondering how many mistakes we have on there.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The Muppets On PCP posted:

someone's running to speak with aoc's manager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuWG8_XW8Y

I didn't know Bronx and Queens were in North Carolina. Pretty shocking.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

yronic heroism posted:

The flip side of this is a lot of “leftists” on the contemporary scene will embrace Ayn Rand the moment they move up a tax bracket. I think that’s part of it but what it really comes down to is some non-trivial or at least vocal number of people will chase whatever the new hotness on the Internet. D&D over the years has been a microcosm of this.

D&D started as most of SA did as mostly white college males, lot of libertarianism.
Now the more they've grown up and entered the real world, they've moved more leftward.
By in part the fact that not a whole lot of tax bracket movement is actually happening as much anyway, or very small leaps after years in wilderness.
Even the right isn't very Randian right now lol, its way more into kek crap.

If you want to bet libertarianism will swing back, bet on a soaring economy that will produce more plump comfy boys.
Somehow I don't think that's around the corner.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/GoldyHA/status/...ingawful.com%2F

The ballots are still being counted, but it looks like she's on track to top the Amazon guy.

That owns.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

That's the stuff right there. If we can't get a Bernie (yet) then you continue building the progressive ranks in congress and elsewhere. Take over the party from the inside, or at the very least grow the left voice and bloc. Also increase the depth of the bench.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

friendbot2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1365395184595464197?s=19

CHOO CHOO MOTHERFUCKERS, VIRGINIA IS GETTIN THEIR TRAINS! The last few years the VADEMs are going ALL IN on trains. In the transportation omnibus bill they very forcefully denied funding to expanding highway 95 and opted to go all-in on mass transportation.

https://twitter.com/pwcdanica/status/1365413952872738820?s=19

This is Step 3 of converting you fully to the Northeast.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Step 2 was the DC suburbs spilling over demographically into NoVa.

Step 1 was Billy Joel releasing the song "Shameless".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I would guess Black Americans are far more likely to have a jaded cynical realism than white Americans.

Also far less likely to even be surprised by that photo in the first place.