Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
in local georgia election news, dozens of jurisdictions had a sunday brunch bill permitting alcoholic sales by the glass before the traditional sunday morning alcohol sales time, which is noon

it passed crushingly in every jurisdiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

how did ben shapiro not tweet about his cameo interview

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Spiffster posted:

Speaking of kemp have we had any news on that?

deadline is 5pm tomorrow

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--reg...LnhZatRCs4WhBO/

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Brony Car posted:

I wonder how the heck someone gives an "incorrect" date of birth unless they're being kind of casual as to how something isn't correct. Bad handwriting?

I must have led a really sheltered life if this is some weird form of bad faith electoral trick I haven't heard of.

gwinnett county is weird. it used to be a white suburban bastion but now it's pretty divided, with a white north, mixed immigrant center, and blackish south. central gwinnett is home to a large middle class korean population, and more christian koreans that move further north. this is mixed in with a substantial latino/latina population reaching out from dekalb county, and there is is also a substantial population of south asian immigrants - there is a huge carved marble hindu mandir in surburban lilburn, in southern gwinnett, which is an anchor of the middle class south asian / indian community

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.885137,-84.1643021,402m/data=!3m1!1e3

the point of this is, there are lots of people in gwinnett who come from nations with different standards of record keeping and different cultural expectations of things like birth certificates and the importance of birthdays. a friend of mine who is of south asian / indian heritage was talking about this recently. pretty much none of her older extended family have actual legal birthdays, there is a date on paper and then there is a date they may or may not personally celebrate. the national bureaucracy of india was somewhat cavalier about things like birth records. a bunch of her uncles all have january 1 as a birthday because it's easy to remember

this is why the state law of strict matching of last names and birthdays is cryptoracist. while the authors of these laws point to the need to check and validate data, the burden falls on people who do not meet anglo-american standards of name pronunciation, spelling, keeping of vital records, etc. of the large chinese american community in gwinnett, how can you be sure that you spell your name the same as some clerk transcribed it? how do you remember how you spelled it ten years ago when it's hard to fit chinese pronunciation into english spelling?

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 13, 2018

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

I like DC statehood conceptually, but there are some really massive infra issues involved with turning it into a state, and I'm worried from the reported elements that this is more like red meat than a remote way of addressing any of those issues. I know, I know, DOA in senate, show bill fire up base, etc, but if they want to eventually actually do it, they need to have been planning how to do things like deal with the federal oversight and infra and transport funding and power and sewage and reorganization of representation for a couple decades. It's not just the organization, it's also that all of the city's infrastructure is already in a poor state and pretty badly mismanaged. DC's a mess, heavily intertwined with and in horrid resource conflicts with its neighbors (e.g. in the 80s, DC had problems with Delaware having leverage over its waste disposal contracts). It's got basically every kind of political and governance issue you can think of. The tensions of being the seat of the federal government also are going to get worse, not better (a set of problems that might be best addressed by looking abroad for how other countries handle it).

yeah, one of the reasons WMATA is so hosed up is that in order to get anything done the state of virginia, the state of maryland, the district of columbia, and congress have to input on funding issues and strategic plans. imagine if you had to ask congress to expand a subway line in your city. my god

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

are we talking money pit like what mississippi/other poorer states need, german reunification or hypothetical korean reunification?

the former, puerto rico is poor. it has the same problem mississippi has, in that it's just too easy to leave mississippi for brighter places with better prospects - this is why there are more people of puerto rican heritage living on the mainland than puerto rico. so the poverty is reinforced because anyone of means simply moves somewhere better, and many of those who are left are those who can't afford to leave. i can't speak to the government debt issue but from an income standpoint the reason many gulf coast states are costly to the federal government is mostly just deep, deep poverty, and this is also true for puerto rico

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Plenty of metro areas cross state borders though, and DC metro crossing state borders is already the case now so it can't be worse (actually it'd be better because Congress doesn't have to agree to every little thing so that's one less complication)

with the sole exception of DC, every city that crosses a state boundary has some other state to advocate for it. so you never end up in a situation where a city is trying to sit down at the negotiating table with other states without some state level government authority behind it

in the us city powers are defined by the states, and the district of columbia's authority is derived from congress itself which is a pretty lovely situation to be in since congress kinda doesn't care

as an example, there's the tri-state water dispute - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-state_water_dispute

after ww2, the army corps of engineers built a dam and created a lake along the chattahoochee river in north georgia. as the city of atlanta grew, it started consuming more water from the lake, and the lake is the main source of drinking water for millions of people. however, industries downriver also need this water, and so a regular amount of flow must be maintained - particularly the oyster farmers of apalachicola bay, whose oysters depend on a mix of fresh and salt water

without the state of georgia to advocate on atlanta's behalf, the city would have to try to argue in federal court as its own district against claims made by neighboring states and probably wouldn't have much credibility when making arguments related to state level resource contributions and obligations from federal agencies like the army corps of engineers

DC being an unwanted stepchild of a city is a liability when it comes to how DC can negotiate with other states containing the washington metro area and possible regional planning efforts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

Sure but the proposal is to make DC a state which will then have state government authority behind it so doesn't that solve this issue?

it does, i was just detailing an aside in your post as to why it's uniquely bad for the washington metro to exist in a 'stateless' condition