Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Grammarchist posted:

Several in New Mexico, apparently.
https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2020/06/03/progressive-democrats-defeat-incumbents-with-some-races-still-pending/

My home area of Indiana is showing some Democratic strength coming back, trying to hold onto the Judge, County Clerk and such. The Judge is a good guy facing a "Law and Order" Republican. The Dem Judge is campaigning pretty well, all things considered. He's got "All Rise, Together!" signs up all over, and mustered a good number of votes in a largely uncontested primary. I'm just happy that people are willing to out themselves as Dems to run for office around here.

Super glad that there was some good news in New Mexico. The Democratic primary for the open Congressional seat in the 3rd district did not go well. The winner is now wholly owned by secret PAC money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Lee doesn't have a chance in hell, but I think it's great he's jumping in, wish him good luck, and hope he doesn't end up acting too online.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I guess we're going to see how far a campaign can go when the candidate himself embraces "Don't stop bullying people online, the strategy is working!"

I really like most of Lee's political positions, so it sucks to see him flaming out like this.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rockit posted:

He being an IT guy and not a lawyer underestimated how big a shake up it is.

He's been an elected official for a few years now. I think it is reasonable to expect him to understand some of the in's and out's of Virginia's legislative process. Or, at the very least, have staff and/or advisors who can put actions like this into context and allow him to not make uninformed, unforced errors.

e: or, to put it another way: I don't find "he means well, but he just doesn't understand the system" to be a compelling argument in his favor.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Just going by how Lee Carter has voluntarily elected to present himself online, I'm getting massive Taintrunner vibes from this poo poo tbh. Fortunately RTW repeal is bigger than he is, so his inevitable outing as some sort of misogynist/abuser/sex pest won't put a dent on it if only because absolutely no credible progressive orgqnization wants anything to do with him anymore.

This is kind of my take as well. It doesn't indicate Average judgement much less Good judgement.

Did Lee actually get drunk at 3 AM and release a huge oppo file on Twitter? Because if that's actually what happened it just isn't the type of judgement or behavior I want to see in any elected official, much less a Governor.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

So he went on to win?

Dumb and unqualified people win elected office all the time. It's kind of a problem!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

Yes but the evidence he's dumb so far was a thing that was portrayed as hurting his chances. Yet he won, and no one has tried to present any evidence of polling drops before this damage control or any evidence that it actually hurt his chances, it's all just "some goon said this once". So it's not clear that thing was dumb, so it's not clear how he's dumb.

I think that getting drunk and shitposting is a disqualifying trait in somebody who wants to hold elected office. That's my personal stance.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

I have addressed this.

Interesting. Who would you vote for if you were in his district?

I don't live in his district and I don't know who he had to fight in the primary for his race. If I had been put into a position between voting for Lee and voting for a Republican I would have voted for Lee. If I lived in his district right now I'd certainly be supporting a [edit: Progressive] primary challenger, and would work to kick him to the curb.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm not saying he's the next AOC, but he's showing a kind of honesty I like in my politicians

Yeah, you have been making it very clear that you like him because of his online posting style. I suspect, if Lee really has been burning bridges to the extent that VA activists in this very thread have been telling us he has, that he's going to lose office because of it.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I miss living a 2 minute walk from my polling place in NoVA. Best voting I ever did, every election.

Good luck!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Judakel posted:

Apparently Carter did no canvassing. Not sure what he expected.

Was he offering enough material benefits to the working classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Youth Decay posted:

When was it ever an assured GOP victory?

On Twitter and Politico and rags like that.