Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

honestly the past ~15 years of "just be yourself!" hollow faux-celebration of individuality have been excruciating. the collapse back into enforced homogeneity will be awful and murderous but at least it will give people something to differentiate against. the current system is designed to catch every spark as it emerges so it can be fed straight into a machine. we'll start to see real art and culture again, and maybe even... organic human interaction and community?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

honestly the past ~15 years of "just be yourself!" hollow faux-celebration of individuality have been excruciating. the collapse back into enforced homogeneity will be awful and murderous but at least it will give people something to differentiate against. the current system is designed to catch every spark as it emerges so it can be fed straight into a machine. we'll start to see real art and culture again, and maybe even... organic human interaction and community?

Have you considered going to the diy music show in your area. That is what I am doing now and it quells all my similar thoughts for a while at least.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No thanks, I'm going to keep playing Destiny

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

lol the exhaustion in my tutor's voice (postgraduate) when they say "academic writing should be in the third person"

Kagrenak posted:

Have you considered going to the diy music show in your area. That is what I am doing now and it quells all my similar thoughts for a while at least.
sadly i'm still in a rural area, so i kind of just have to fly my freak flag alone

my dad used to get melancholic about the fact that people don't do garage bands anymore and tbh i agree with him

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Start a garage band with your dad

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i wish i could have been one of the jurors who got their poo poo posts read into the official record while trump was forced to silently sit there

lol the exhaustion in my tutor's voice (postgraduate) when they say "academic writing should be in the third person"

god, what's next, telling me i can't include tasteful erotic sketches in the margins?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

god, what's next, telling me i can't include tasteful erotic sketches in the margins?

The Sokal affair, but with thicc illustrations? Sounds like a goon project

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

sadly i'm still in a rural area, so i kind of just have to fly my freak flag alone

my dad used to get melancholic about the fact that people don't do garage bands anymore and tbh i agree with him

My kids buddies have one. He’s 15. Their parents were in bands and raised them on a pretty varied diet of 90s alternative and they even cut an LP. They aren’t bad either, it’s fun to play ‘guess the influence’ on their songs.

Apr 17, 2024
still waiting for a free speech and civil rights megathreads

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Huh I didn’t know regdates adjusted to the device timezone too

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

Oracle posted:

My kids buddies have one. He’s 15. Their parents were in bands and raised them on a pretty varied diet of 90s alternative and they even cut an LP. They aren’t bad either, it’s fun to play ‘guess the influence’ on their songs.
that's excellent. playing music with others is one of those skills that is being lost in this generation and it's so important for the social brain. it requires real encouragement and understanding on the part of the parents too, you're doing a great thing for them.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

that's excellent. playing music with others is one of those skills that is being lost in this generation and it's so important for the social brain. it requires real encouragement and understanding on the part of the parents too, you're doing a great thing for them.

Thanks. It helps to have a local all ages club that serves food and not liquor (until 9pm after their sets). These kids are not really into alcohol like it’s necessary to have a good time either (tho the vaping, ugh).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

041724 posted:

Be the change you want to see, suspicious rereg.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Be the change you want to see, suspicious rereg.

You haven't met the numbers re-reg guy? Aww!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

041724 posted:

the IP thread is right there

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
2 hours of listening to people discuss the minutia of temporary turn radii and i'm losing the will to live

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

2 hours of listening to people discuss the minutia of temporary turn radii and i'm losing the will to live
i googled this to find out what a temporary turn radius is and it instantly drained the life right out of me. you poor soul

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Do not pity them. They asked for this.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i have given up on local environmental nfps so government environment guys with a soul are our only hope

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rappaport posted:

Do not pity them. They asked for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BirJMnMcfBs

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
What is the deal with all these trend stories on news sites about Millennials loving Bluey? I've never heard of this show and it is apparently meant for 6-year olds and episodes are 7 minutes long.

Apparently, everyone in their mid 30's or 40's is crazy about it according to the NYT style section.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Passover brisket crew sound off.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What is the deal with all these trend stories on news sites about Millennials loving Bluey? I've never heard of this show and it is apparently meant for 6-year olds and episodes are 7 minutes long.

Apparently, everyone in their mid 30's or 40's is crazy about it according to the NYT style section.
millenials have small children that want to watch small children media and bluey is not completely hell for the parents to sit through

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

World Famous W posted:

millenials have small children that want to watch small children media and bluey is not completely hell for the parents to sit through

Makes sense!

The NYT article also had childless millennials talking about, which confuses me. I guess it is a brony situation with a vocal minority of the fanbase.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

a bored reporter with no better stories to run can easily find some vaguely weird thing that got several hundred social media replies, and write a "those wacky millennials" or "those wacky zoomers" story about it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Makes sense!

The NYT article also had childless millennials talking about, which confuses me. I guess it is a brony situation with a vocal minority of the fanbase.

anecdotally a childless millennial in my household likes bluey, i guess because it's cute. from what i've seen the parents in the show are realistic characters, so i'm guessing that part of the appeal outside of people with young kids is finding them relatable

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Makes sense!

i will admit that i was initially weirded out about bluey fanatics until i became one myself by nature of having two kids. it's a wonderfully written show that just happens to be little teachable slices of life. it is the landmark piece of children's programming for this generation and I wasn't at all surprised to see a business dude in American Airlines first class last week watching episodes. it's just that enjoyable to watch.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I still can't stop thinking about "never fight uphill, me boys"

Trump is still producing absoutely banger material even as his body and brain are failing like we've never seen from the standpoint of decay

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i know it's just a thing that happens to old people, but the fact that trump and rudy can't keep from gassing out every space they occupy for more than a minute with audible farts is very funny

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i know it's just a thing that happens to old people, but the fact that trump and rudy can't keep from gassing out every space they occupy for more than a minute with audible farts is very funny

it's very presidential
Joe Biden’s fart and other embarrassing royal moments for Americans

www.politico.eu - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 posted:

When you meet the queen of England, you’re not supposed to turn your back on her (presumably in case she steals something). Clearly when you meet the Duchess of Cornwall, you’re supposed to fart.

That’s allegedly what happened when Joe Biden met Camilla at the COP26 climate talks in Glasgow — with the U.S. president doing a terrible job at reducing emissions.

The duchess “hasn’t stopped talking about” Biden’s fart, an “informed source” told the Mail on Sunday in what may be the greatest use of media sourcing in years. Move over, Deep Throat, here comes Deep Colon.

“It was long and loud and impossible to ignore,” the Mail wrote about the fart — the breaking of wind, not the U.S. leader, I hasten to add.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
all of americas great seats of power smell of leaky depends, bengay and spilled ensure

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
biden striking another blow for ireland

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

idk, us perfidious brits also loving hate camilla, given she's a piece of poo poo who should have died instead of diana

so good on fenian joe for gassing her

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i have been surreptitiously planting trees on a reserve near my house for the past four years, some other mysterious party dumped a tonne of seeds that have grown into native pioneer shrubs, and now the kangaroos have arrived

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the black cockatoos hang out there all year round, hooting and hollering. it has natural springs that people keep dumping car batteries and lawnmowers into. part of the reserve is home to an ever-growing trash heap that was a mystery to me for a long time, because it wasn't just normal garbage but stuff like beds and lounges and tvs. finally someone told me that it's where the landlords dump all the belongings of people who've been evicted and walked out without paying to have their belongings removed. nature is beautiful

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

going out into the desert to harness the wild goat still seems like the best survival strategy for our times

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
getting two years of rain has been a real treat. all the plants you see look real happy

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

getting two years of rain has been a real treat. all the plants you see look real happy
we've had a blessed few years due to the triple nina too. but there were two months at the end of summer/early autumn this year where the rain stopped and everything turned into a moonscape almost instantly. a gentle warning for the future.

all the lorikeets migrated down here from new south wales to get away from the heat. they were never seen in victoria but they arrived in their tens of thousands about a year ago and never left. i like to think some of them are individual birds i knew back up in nsw

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

anecdotally a childless millennial in my household likes bluey, i guess because it's cute. from what i've seen the parents in the show are realistic characters, so i'm guessing that part of the appeal outside of people with young kids is finding them relatable

There's an episode that takes place entirely on the exhausted immobile bodies of Bluey's parents after a day at a theme park. Relatable and very charming.

There are also a bunch of episodes that are aimed not so subtly at parents. It's all fun kid antics and then it blindsides you with surprisingly heartfelt messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1492078655832350721