Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I like the part where they start talking about Measure B and he sings it to the tune of Let It Be

Tbf that was a James Adomian bit from a couple weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

why is this chat thread pinned, can't we let dadchat fade away in a dignified manner

Dig...ni...fied?

What is this word?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

did anyone see the it's always sunny finale?

Yeah it's real good.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

avshalemon posted:

 Disturb any rear end material;

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

it's one of those eps that makes me visit tviv just to confirm that they're still utterly incapable of understanding or enjoying anything

To be fair I was 100% certain the dance scene was a bit that was being played for laughs until like a minute into it. And then I suddenly realized, "Oh wait, this is both completely earnest and also really good."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

A friend’s take was “with all this hero worship following Stan Lee’s death, Jack Kirby would be rolling in his grave if Lee hadn’t stolen that too.”

:lol: Yeah, I’m sad he’s gone but he was pretty cutthroat. Key & Peele has a great sketch about him bull dozing everyone in a writer’s room.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

also anyone who cries about the uspol/trump/thunderdome threads being ruined because of the merger should be banned

Co-signing this. Also anyone who thinks there are more derails or meta-arguments there now obviously didn’t regularly post in the old thread.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

its all good, the president is flying in to drive the big trucks and make everything okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpp_1zkEO6g

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

How Trump lost the confurvative vote.:sad:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

My favorite missionary story will always be the guy in Taiwan who tried to minister to a lion in a zoo and got bit.

e: This one:

quote:

Taipei - A lion attacked a man who jumped into the animal's enclosure and shouted "Jesus will save you!" at the big cat on Wednesday at the zoo in Taiwan's capital.

Cable TV stations showed the lion ripping a jacket off the man as he stood in a grassy enclosure that held two of the animals.

Without panicking, the man fell back on a stone ridge, and the lion then jumped at him, biting him in the arm. The lion then clawed at his trousers before retreating.

The man then calmly stood with his arms outstretched in front of the two animals.

An eyewitness, Hsu Li-jen, told cable station CTI that the man shouted "Jesus will save you" at the animals.

Guards drove the lions away with water hoses, and police shot the animals with tranquilliser darts. The man, identified only by his surname, Chen, then picked up his jacket and climbed out of the pen himself. He was taken to the hospital for tests.

"He had bite marks both at the front and back of his leg," Doctor Wang Yao-ching told CTI.

Another doctor said Chen, 46, also had psychological problems. "He took this dangerous action today because he imagined he heard voices," psychiatrist Teng Hui-wen told reporters, saying his case was still being investigated.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Nov 22, 2018

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

It's almost as if immigrants are...predators...but super versions of them?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

double dumbass on me, i guess

I want the “I hate you” song from that movie played at my funeral.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if this thread's a rockin punch richard dawkins

ftfy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

i wanted to google some heroic belgian propaganda but it was all fascism and CONGO'S OURS so have this instead:

This is the obvious answer:
https://youtu.be/CE8XKeN0zk4

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

happy new years chat thread

calling it, 2019: the year the forums die

The Bible says only God knows the date when the forums die, so there’s no point in trying to predict it.

Also Happy New Year!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

loving drunk driving dipshits at work forcing me to stay at the bar until 3am. I'm gonna be stuck at this 711 eating hot dogs for god knows how long. I have to work tomorrow!

Ditch them. Tell them they drunkenly wandered off if they give you poo poo for it tomorrow.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

exmarx posted:

lin manuel miranda is playing lee scoresby in the upcoming his dark materials series...

Okay, okay, I get it, Philip Pullman - you don't want me to read your books or see the movies based on them ever.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

it's become cliche but people really do need to read another book

Sounds like something Jordan Peterson would say.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Something not unique to UK Conservatives.

Or people in the UK in general, if Neera Tanden et al. are any indication.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

They warned me Satan would be attractive.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

finally got round to watching black panther last night

What did you think?

The [Citation Needed] podcast had a really good episode on poo poo like this, ie: the neoliberal optimism industry.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

why thank you for asking

it was easily one of the best marvel movies. along with guardians of the galaxy and thor: ragnarok it's one of the few marvel movies where the usual marvel problems (boring expanded universe, horrible pacing, threadbare plot, nothing makes sense, CGI and nothing else) can't fully drag the movie down. in no small part because wish fulfillment for black americans (what if european colonialism wasn't quite as thorough and what if there was someone out there that actually gave a poo poo about me and that person was willing to save me from systemic oppression) is a lot more interesting than wish fulfillment for white americans (what if i was super strong and was allowed to beat up poor people?).

the politics of the movie are obviously bad. killmonger was right, the ending of wakanda doing development aid was p laughable. ah yes, a lot of shiny tech, we are finally saved.

biggest gripe was the screenplay itself tho. the first half of the movie was just a huge waste of time. most notably the james bond homage and the car chase. and as much as i love watching andy serkis chew every bit of scenery, klaue didn't add much to the film. and then the second half of the film felt rushed. they should've given more time to killmonger's story, given t'challa more depth, maybe do something more with the danai gurira-daniel kaluuya plotline that felt interesting. oh and cut martin freeman. i love the dweeb, but just cut him. and let lupita nyong'o act, christ sake. give her something.

but i guess less set pieces, more plot is my complaint about every marvel movie

overall very entertaining.

:agreed: for the most part, although I can't cosign on Killmonger being right. Dude was only in it for himself; anyone who thinks he actually wanted to liberate anyone is a chump. Also killing his gf was pretty not great.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

R. Mute posted:

the thing people responded to with killmonger was that he was the only one to come close to a realistic political standpoint in the movie. he's the one that recognises that politics are about power and that sending your spacetrain-tech to america isn't going to stop black people from being oppressed. he's the one that realises the western world isn't just going to sit back and let a tiny african nation take center stage.

the problem is that when hollywood screenwriters portray black people, their politics are limited to two options: mlk and malcolm x, where mlk is obviously the Right Answer. problem is that they see malcolm x through the lens of fox news parody. and because they don't understand malcolm x and because they feel the need to emphasise that he's definitely the bad choice (pls dont like him even tho he makes sense), they tack on a bunch of stuff that doesn't really make all that much sense (i want to help the oppresys.sed people of the world and i trained to do it by killing the oppressed people for the us army) or is just over the top evil (shooting his girlfriend, choking the flower lady, etc).

it feels wrong and people look past it because the only way for that to work is if he's a massive hypocrite - which the rest of the film doesn't really support and which kinda undercuts the whole struggle of ideals thing which is at the core of the movie.

This is a very good take.:golfclap:

Yeah, it doesn't help that Western audiences are, let's face it, not used to superhero films with an ideological standpoint nowadays. Much less an anti-imperialist one.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

exmarx posted:

this is the same poo poo that every second comic book movie does. the villain has spot-on analysis of the problem, but also wants to kill everybody for ??? reason

I mean, it's not like that's exactly unheard of in history. It's just a pretty worn-out conceit in superhero films and comic books.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Puddle of Mudd...now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

A long time...

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That's not gonna replace "milkshake duck," sorry bro.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

i hope you don't take it personally but i do think that entering the army to escape your ruinous debts was really funny in a "the more things change" kind of way

It certainly feels very old school.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Don't doxx my Mad Max war rig, exmarx.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PETA needs to go away. Promoting no fur and veganism's good and all, but they're just really loving bad at their job.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

exmarx posted:

reading the, animorphs forum

praxis.txt

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've never actually looked into cspam

what's it like?

It's like that old parable about heaven and hell - if you have good opinions, it's cool. If you have bad opinions, it's bad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

well folks its only january and i have to say, America should probably not have been picked up for another season

Venezuela's prob going to be canceled soon though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

exmarx posted:

can't believe we're already a quarter of the way through trump's presidency

There's a light at the end of the tunn- oh wait no, he's not going to step down, is he?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

trinidad and tobago no longer are latvian colonies

Bad luck in your CK campaign, I assume?:(

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

as a california resident i can say with some authority that all big name california democrats are bad

This is very, very true. I'm a little bummed that Alison Hartson didn't do better in the primaries (although obviously no one was going to beat Feinstein).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Regarding Hentry

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Charles VII of France is the historical basis for Vegeta.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im the implication made by the author that russia is the most modern country

They're the bulwark against the insidious Georgian menace; of course they're the most modern.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Ohio still exists.

Indiana too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

virginians are significantly dumber than even the most vacant-eyed midwestern dullard i assure you

vb would be placed in accelerated learning courses in virginia's schools

I don’t see how you can say that about the state that boasts the proud Antonin Scalia Law School.