Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

that was a lot of booze he drank

Michael Shanks isn't doing so well since Stargate.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

YodaTFK posted:

I thought I was mostly immune to this poo poo but Fox was on at the gym today. They were pushing back on the Trump attacking the media narrative and one of the hosts brought up a story about an Indian friend, telling him how they have election day off because of violence and intimidation at the polls. "Now we haven't seen that kind of violence in this country for 150 years.." loving hell. Jim Crow was an hallucination I guess.

Let's be perfectly clear- Dinesh is not their friend, he eats bugs for their amusement.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

incredible flesh posted:

loving spotify

they introduced an "i do not like this artist" button and i have informed them that i do not like madeleine peyroux and yet they keep playing me madeleine loving peyroux

You can't dislike ads.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Stumbled across a libertarian history podcast episode on John Brown today so I listened to it at work. It was pretty funny. Since dude was playing historian, he couldn't throw out the states rights argument, since even a cursory reading of the Fugitive Slave Act and the founding of the confederacy makes it blatantly clear that the south didn't give two shits about states rights, so he went in some really interesting directions. The funniest was when he started saying "historians say" as though they are a monolith while he was arguing that John Brown made up that he saw a black kid getting beaten as a child, which Brown always said was a defining moment in his life, because, among other reasons, slaveowners would have no reason to beat slaves with shovels because the slaves were their property and what would be the sense in that?

But the best was at the end when he was describing why Brown was such a failure. Because he created the perception among southerners that the north was out to get them, even ~southerners that didn't support slavery~, so he radicalized them against the North. Completely ignoring that Brown's trial prompted a worldwide debate and revolutionized the abolitionist movement, such that it became a massive issue instead of just something smug people talked about in 19th century starbucks cafes. The south always had a persecution complex, and they used that to justify the horrific atrocities they committed, and to oppose any sort of concessions when it came to, you know, respecting the concept of basic human dignity. Brown didn't create that. Instead, he just spread the word to Northerners that the south deserved to be persecuted, and needed to be persecuted, for the only way to get an inch from them was to take it. And when it came to the institution of slavery, decent people had a moral obligation to take the whole mother fucker rear end yard stick.

He also spent a good hour digging into every military aspect of the raid at Harpers Ferry to illustrate how it was such a failure, but didn't say a word about how John Browns legacy was such that union soldiers were singing his name as they marched into battle at Harpers Ferry. gently caress off m8.

Didn't the "Southern Rights" massacres up in Wisconsin/Michigan occur before the Raid on Harper's Ferry?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

If only the French and Austrians hadn't intervened in the Unification of Italy.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The Vatican is an extraterritorial religious body.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Yo, Brandy is healthier and more effective than cough syrup aka fake Brandy so I'm willing to praise alcohol that isn't American beer.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Hey guys, Morning Joe has begun the hypernormalization train and is pushing UFO garbage.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

exmarx posted:

it blew my mind to learn that border policing as we understand it is only 100 years old, and was explicitly invented to prevent the movement of refugees

Actually it's older and was invented as a pseudo-legal rationale to purge and steal land from "Mexicans" and "Chinese" who spoke English as their native tongue and were in fact and law, American citizens.

The law never had much force in this demon country.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The state of "conservative" "intellectualism" is such that I read a CATO thing, saw CATO in big letters, and was like... wasn't that the show where they were on the island and they went through five writing teams?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

litany of gulps posted:

I don't know if you remember seeing this when it happened, but I do, because there was nothing human about it. He ate it with the onion papers/skin still on it

Do you not?

Wait, have you never eaten a bible before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

perepelki posted:

we will find ancient human bones on antarctica in time, and deep under the permfrost at the north pole. it will vindicate many people's sense of permanence, and lead to new theories of humanity and human evolution that hopefully won't result in a world war or mass genocide

Serious answer to a joking post: I mean, China made that old map of Antarctica's bedrock somehow, but I don't think supernatural causation can save us.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 18, 2021