Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

america bad country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

in other news, my country just lost a really expensive warship and many hours of oil extraction because we're bad enough at war to let oil tankers ram our frigates
we lost an f-16 a couple of weeks ago after another f-16 shot it with training ammunition while on the ground somehow

go war

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

sudo rm -rf posted:

why does belgium have an air force
good question

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

did anyone see the it's always sunny finale?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Majorian posted:

Yeah it's real good.
it's one of those eps that makes me visit tviv just to confirm that they're still utterly incapable of understanding or enjoying anything

Furnaceface posted:

Wait Belgium stayed in the F-35 program?
was it ever really in doubt? not even massive scandals involving the military and our minister of defense withholding information on the issue and clearly loving with the whole process could slow it down. the question why we even need the planes was never asked, the other candidates never stood a chance, we're spending a couple of billion euros (who knows how many?) as a handout to the arms industry and so that the right wing here can feel like big strong boys who totally matter

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/sovietvisuals/status/1005042113111830531

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Majorian posted:

To be fair I was 100% certain the dance scene was a bit that was being played for laughs until like a minute into it. And then I suddenly realized, "Oh wait, this is both completely earnest and also really good."
yeah, i was kinda hoping they weren't going to play it for laughs from the start, but i have zero faith in the bravery of tv makers - glad i was wrong

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Gatts posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/i9Bqoop

Are we allowed to use these? Cause this would be real tempting.
i have absolutely zero power here, but: no, you can't use those.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

im gonna be real controversial here but being poor sucks balls

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it's poo poo!!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAH4zGd_W1s

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i loving love danny devito

https://twitter.com/DannyDeVito/status/1063495379952394240

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

feels weirdly end-of-times right now. 71 dead and 1000 missing in california wildfires and it's just an item on the news. mass murder, genocide, outright nazis, death squads, global decay, 12 years to stop climate change, whatever. everyone's so calm about it.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

poor babby got a probation

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

incredible flesh posted:

i saw a psychologist for ten sessions and she told me to have an art exhibition and keep smoking weed, it was good
hell yeah

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Muppets On PCP posted:

nope it sucks and the only good thing to come from the bullshit 60s counterculture was billy jack
wrong

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

well, government collapsed again

quasi-fash party n-va toppled it over signing the treaty of marrakesh, a meaningless non-enforced piece of paper that really only reaffirms the 1948 human rights treaty - but it's six months till the next elections and this is just part of their horrid garbage campaign and i hate them so much

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

france do a communist 1792 and liberate us

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i wanted to google some heroic belgian propaganda but it was all fascism and CONGO'S OURS so have this instead:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Are things really that dire? :ohdear:
nah. just incredibly tedious. n-va are gonna get away with this absolutely blatant gambit and it's going to be really annoying. open your eyes sheeple, etc

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://jacobinmag.com/2018/12/belgium-workers-party-ptb-elections-left?fbclid=IwAR0i4kqme2xP-otOh9pBCSnwiZXMTuHKQZFHoV6nt2nmLKFT6ENiZNn5KSU

officially jacobin approved

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/OldFrenchCrime/status/1074172100045344768

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

govs dead, so what

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

rot in hell

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

finally got round to watching black panther last night

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

why thank you for asking

it was easily one of the best marvel movies. along with guardians of the galaxy and thor: ragnarok it's one of the few marvel movies where the usual marvel problems (boring expanded universe, horrible pacing, threadbare plot, nothing makes sense, CGI and nothing else) can't fully drag the movie down. in no small part because wish fulfillment for black americans (what if european colonialism wasn't quite as thorough and what if there was someone out there that actually gave a poo poo about me and that person was willing to save me from systemic oppression) is a lot more interesting than wish fulfillment for white americans (what if i was super strong and was allowed to beat up poor people?).

the politics of the movie are obviously bad. killmonger was right, the ending of wakanda doing development aid was p laughable. ah yes, a lot of shiny tech, we are finally saved.

biggest gripe was the screenplay itself tho. the first half of the movie was just a huge waste of time. most notably the james bond homage and the car chase. and as much as i love watching andy serkis chew every bit of scenery, klaue didn't add much to the film. and then the second half of the film felt rushed. they should've given more time to killmonger's story, given t'challa more depth, maybe do something more with the danai gurira-daniel kaluuya plotline that felt interesting. oh and cut martin freeman. i love the dweeb, but just cut him. and let lupita nyong'o act, christ sake. give her something.

but i guess less set pieces, more plot is my complaint about every marvel movie

overall very entertaining.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the thing people responded to with killmonger was that he was the only one to come close to a realistic political standpoint in the movie. he's the one that recognises that politics are about power and that sending your spacetrain-tech to america isn't going to stop black people from being oppressed. he's the one that realises the western world isn't just going to sit back and let a tiny african nation take center stage.

the problem is that when hollywood screenwriters portray black people, their politics are limited to two options: mlk and malcolm x, where mlk is obviously the Right Answer. problem is that they see malcolm x through the lens of fox news parody. and because they don't understand malcolm x and because they feel the need to emphasise that he's definitely the bad choice (pls dont like him even tho he makes sense), they tack on a bunch of stuff that doesn't really make all that much sense (i want to help the oppressed people of the world and i trained to do it by killing the oppressed people for the us army) or is just over the top evil (shooting his girlfriend, choking the flower lady, etc).

it feels wrong and people look past it because the only way for that to work is if he's a massive hypocrite - which the rest of the film doesn't really support and which kinda undercuts the whole struggle of ideals thing which is at the core of the movie.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

wild that the guy from a band that recruited a 17 year old japanese girl to front their band turned out to be a weirdo

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

extremely normal all of this

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also i saw the favourite and it was really good

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

whats ur insanity meter at? mine's at 69%

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

my god, my ex-brother-in-law is such a humongous piece of poo poo. wanna powerbomb him off a cliff.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Literal monsters.

Congrats America, youre the baddies.
i tried to guess what the article was about based on this quote before i clicked the link. lotta options

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i was thinking maybe it's cutting all aid to palestine or maybe it's the coup in venezuela or maybe it's the letting prisoners freeze to death in new york or... well, maybe it was a lot of things

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/05/belgian-environment-minister-joke-schauvliege-claimed-children-climate-protests-a-set-up

lmao

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

so many dopes straight up falling for it, my god

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ack

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

The gym just put on an EDM version of Bella Ciao and yeah I’m here for that
this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhgJV0Pg54Y

we've played it on our mobile speakers during a couple of protests lately. always gets the crowd going.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

corbyn is polling worse than may also atm, im sure ukpol is a fun time (it was never a fun time)
corbyn always polls badly until a couple of months before an election when the british press is forced by law to be less horrifically bad for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

if only there were a chat

for perhaps debate and discussion

that we did during smoke breaks over i don't know, four, five years

to talk about these things.
*puts hand on berke's shoulder*

it's time to stop