Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

to live is to laugh, and to laugh is to fart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

why is this thread stickied

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i don't like it

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

twelve victims is a piss-weak shooting imo

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i just found where the white-faced herons are nesting

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

These works have the potential to:
 Disturb or release any contaminated materials on the site;
 Disturb any rear end material; and,
 Mobilise sediments leading to increased erosion at the site.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

the absolute artistry of whoever it is who is orchestrating this whole tragicomedy

hallelujah

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

quote:

One Paradise resident who fled the encroaching blaze told the Bee: "It was so hot. You could feel it."

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

gojm what are the fire management practices like in your neck of the woods? i want to study indigenous fire management techniques here

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

fire terrifies me

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

trying to pick which adjective to use (i ended up using "several") i invented the word manumerous

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

it means many, but in like, a very bad way

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

ecosystem modelling is a lie. it's a total loving sham and obscene.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, and you want the habitat you're designing to stay self sustaining for centuries/millennia/ect which are not time scales the human brain is really good at comprehending, much less planning for
designing for millennia is nuts

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

in 2000 years if yellowstone has not popped its lid i will eat my own rear end, and where will your trees be then?

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i design for the year 6000, which is well within a tree's lifespan, i'll be newly dead but the messiah may walk beneath my wattle and my turpentines

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

climate change makes all of this moot anyway
not the turpentines, they love being flooded and the heat doesn't worry them at all

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i'm trying an alternative to tubestock for reforestation where trees are grown to an advanced stage in habitat nurseries (basically just greenhouses where bugs aren't kill-on-sight) and interred with great ceremony at about twelve months old, the idea being that you're not planting a field of tomatoes, you're installing a building that just happens to start out as a very small building

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i now have a decent idea of the most common reforestation methods in australia and they're all hosed. they're dreamed up by white men and the only things white men can understand are machines, diesel and fields full of neat perfect rows and rows and rows of things all the way to the horizon

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

fishmech posted:

hmm have you tried having people abandon vast amounts of land en masse to move to cities or farmlands located a good couple hundred to couple thousand miles away and waiting 50 years? that worked really good for american reforestation
australians don't seem to abandon land for some reason, they hold onto it long after it's useless

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

replacing rainforest, artificially or naturally, seems basically impossible to my mind. the soil they grow on is so poo poo i don't even understand how they ever established
the seeds are dispersed in the poo poo of the field

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

fishmech posted:

it's mostly sarcastic, but we should probably expel australians from most of the land they are on for a good 50 years anyway
i'm working on a land regeneration startup that works by jubilee cycles

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

trees

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

https://twitter.com/BAuldist/status/1073450836854882304

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

am i allowed to say "die johnson and johnson die" or does that still count as a death threat because corporations are people

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

mesothelioma is a beautiful word

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

Nah you can say this all day, gently caress Johnson and Johnson.
the new york post story is about a woman named darlene coker, which is such a great name

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Pirate Radar posted:

How’s the summer treating him?
good! it hasn't been a hot one yet, and when it does get hot luckily he seems to be able to dissipate heat well because he's shaped like a fennec fox

i got philomena out of his cage for some handling today and he didn't appreciate it

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

keep pup tbh

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

dress him in a heavy shawl and pretend he's your ailing relative. if anyone comments on the fact that he's a dog act very offended
this is how i smuggled vanya into my apartment

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

Boomers still the worst.
check out the yellow vest parade we just had over here (except we have no climate tax so these ones are protesting immigration, because of course they are)

terrifying

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

butter

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Pirate Radar posted:

A small and bittersweet update: we’d been putting the word out among friends that there was a little pup who needs a good home. In the meantime my girlfriend’s dog had been slowly getting used to the idea of a smaller animal being in the apartment (fenced off in a corner of the living room most of the time). At the beginning of this week the older dog, previously healthy, began to act sick and tired and my girlfriend took her to the vet. The vet ruled out a disease passed on from the pup and tests revealed that her organ function was declining. She got better with treatment at first but took a turn for the worse two nights ago and passed away yesterday with my girlfriend sitting next to her.

We have decided to keep the puppy.
:( :unsmith: :sympathy: i'm so sorry, merry pupmas

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Pirate Radar posted:

So far he’s learned that he gets praised for peeing in the right spot (she’s bathroom training him until he’s big and healthy enough to go outside) so he holds it until someone’s watching and then repeatedly pees a little bit so he gets rewarded multiple times for one bladder of pee. He deserves at least a House seat already.
that is amazing :kimchi: btw it's still year of the dog in china

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i started watching the haunting of hill house on netflix and was engaged up until about the 3rd episode but then i got fed up around the 5th or 6th, said gently caress this and went and read the book instead, which so far is turning out to be a good decision

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Furnaceface posted:

avs I hope you get your hectare of land to save the birds and keep out the cane toads.
i'm going to teach the corvids and raptors how to kill and eat cane toads safely

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Volkerball posted:

That won't stop them from killing your keets.
i just found out the rakali, which is like an australian otter, is immune to cane toad venom, so i know what i'm going to be raising in my hermit hut and unleashing upon the northern rivers in huge numbers

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

aren't cane toads just bloated sacs of pure poison?
they have two big poison sacs on their backs, so anything that bites their back or tries to eat the whole toad pretty much gets instantly annihilated (except for the rakali!) but a few species of bird have learnt to flip them over and eat the innocent guts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Volkerball posted:

I was talking about the birds of prey. Do your keets get killed by the frogs too??
apparently it hasn't been tested...