Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

cat botherer posted:

I saw the 2017 eclipse in the middle of nowhere in Eastern Oregon. Legit one of the most amazing, surreal experiences of my life. I should have gone down south for this one.

I looked it up, next time is 2026 in Spain. Eclipse in Barcelona sounds cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

i have been exploring modern fantasy (published in the past ten years) and wow it is bad. it feels like the genre has not evolved at all.

please give me book recommendations that will change my mind and heart. i want social commentary and characters/plots that don't feel like they were designed by a committee to appeal to the broadest possible audience. please, please no more sassy protagonists defeating dark wizards/witches in hand-to-hand swordplay while delivering 21st century sitcom quips. please no more smouldering badboys with beautiful lips. i can't take it anymore

I recently checked out Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. I read the first book in the series, Gardens of the Moon, and was blown away. Here's what others had to say about it:

Wikipedia posted:

The series was positively received by critics, who praised the epic scope, plot complexity and the introspective nature of the characterization, which serve as social commentary. Fellow author Glen Cook has called the series a masterwork of the imagination that may be the high water mark of the epic fantasy genre. In his treatise written for The New York Review of Science Fiction, fellow author Stephen R. Donaldson has also praised Erikson for his approach to the fantasy genre, the subversion of classical tropes, the complex characterizations, the social commentary — pointing explicitly to parallels between the fictional Letheras Economy and the US Economy — and has compared him to the likes of Joseph Conrad, Henry James, William Faulkner, and Fyodor Dostoevsky.