Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Laserface posted:

Don't do dangerous poo poo in a foreign country without travel insurance?

Sucks but it was like $100aud for me to get back country rescue cover for a whole month. Guy is a fuckin idiot imo.

The crash sucks but how the gently caress do you afford a car/tyres/fuel/track time in a foreign country and not pay the relatively minor amount for insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIZ5IEWk2iM

This is interesting.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
the flyest mcmarty

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I just signed up or my first drift day on February 16th at the Balcony at Willow Springs. That gives me a little over a month to get my car track worthy, which is daunting.

List of stuff I need to take care of in that time:

- Install modified steering knuckles
- Install solid steering rack bushings
- Install gauges
- Work out tuning with HPTuners - this is a pretty important one
- Finish installing transmission related stuff - reverse lockout, reverse lights, and VSS wiring
- Make a plate to block off the hole in the transmission tunnel
- Remove the sunroof so I don't smack my helmet while driving (and eventually change the seat bracket to lower the seat)
- Reinforce motor mounts for peace of mind
- Figure out wheels/tires
- Finish up the exhaust - add one more hanger and high temp paint.
- Buy and install a fire extinguisher
- Buy and install hood pins
- Weld/spool the diff. Leaning towards welding now because nobody makes a spool for the Lexus/Toyota diff that I can find, and a thousand bucks for an LSD isn't in the budget right now
- Install new rear brake rotors, pads, and check the wear on the e-brake drum shoe.

I think that's it. I'm going to try to get the car out for a test and tune day before then for a shake down before trying to actually race it.

Link to the drift event: https://www.facebook.com/events/839245819754343/?ti=ia

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 21, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That’s a pretty big list for just a month. You’ve got your work cut out for you. Good luck!

(And I still need to catch up on your videos...)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you want info on HPTuners check out the Sloppy Mechanics wiki. https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BoostCreep posted:

doing things

any closer to getting it out for a test?

our summer is over in a few weeks so its time to get motivated and cars ready

my silvia;
- install newer coilovers plus sway bars, and some adjustable arms up front
- install harness
- mount gauges in a cluster panel
- swap injectors
- install cooler piping and z32 afm
- swap ecu's
- get exhaust flange welded
- tune

i wish i learnt how to weld

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
- Install gauges
- Work out tuning with HPTuners - this is a pretty important one - I'm debating towing the car to a shop to get properly tuned. I'm currently running a modified 4.8 manual tune that was adjusted for the larger LS2 injectors I have. No idea if it'll work at anything other than idle.
- Finish installing transmission related stuff - reverse lockout, reverse lights, and VSS wiring Picked up the pigtails and sensors, just need to wire them up.
- Make a plate to block off the hole in the transmission tunnel Have a plan for this one. I'll do it next weekend
- Remove the sunroof so I don't smack my helmet while driving (and eventually change the seat bracket to lower the seat) See below
- Reinforce motor mounts for peace of mind - probably not getting to this before the first test day.
- Figure out wheels/tires - I'm going to use some REALLY old OEM tires from my Lancer Evo as drift tires on some even older Momo wheels I bought in 1999 for now.
- Weld/spool the diff. The only spool on the market for this diff is "on sale" for $1,200. Every single 2 way LSD is cheaper than that, so I'll be welding the diff for now and upgrading to a proper LSD in the future.
- Install new rear brake rotors, pads, and check the wear on the e-brake drum shoe.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 28, 2019

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Which motor do you have?

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
NA supra lsd will fit inside your diff casing, along with some na aristo centres

Otherwise later models will require an entire rear end swap but it’s not hard

This is assuming it’s an Axxx diff on the build plate as well. I have a stock torsen lsd but it’s a big boy centre so you would need housing and axles as above. I have a cusco 2 way in my jzx, it’s good but it was $2k plus new

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You might be able to get an LSD from crooober for not too much money.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wrar posted:

You might be able to get an LSD from crooober for not too much money.

I just looked into getting some wheels through there and it was cheaper than dealing with Jesse Streeter. Croober is also part of upgarage to some extent so it is legit.

there is also gooparts and yahoo auctions, both of which you'd need streeter for however.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Amayama is good as well

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

BoostCreep posted:

The only spool on the market for this diff is "on sale" for $1,200. Every single 2 way LSD is cheaper than that, so I'll be welding the diff for now and upgrading to a proper LSD in the future.

That's amazing, considering that a spool is literally a big chunk of aluminum machined to hold bearings and gears. I mean, there's cost involved in initial design, but once it's set up for CNC, the biggest cost is the sizable billet or casting. Guess there isn't enough volume for your diff to make it cost-effective. Eh, weld that sucker up!

quote:

I started teaching myself how to weld at 35. I'm 38 now and not all that great, but I can weld well enough to make practical use of the skill. Never too late.

And you never get worse. More practice = more better (:))

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
There was never a big market for the smaller A series diffs, everyone swapped to the big boy sets from jz-gte cars. It’s a pretty straightforward swap if you can find the parts there

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wrar posted:

Which motor do you have?

A 4.8 Chevy LR4. It's totally stock minus the LSA (CTS-V) exhaust manifolds, 2.5" exhaust, custom intake tube, and LS2 intake manifold. It'll probably be around 290ish hp or so in its current configuration. The plan is to get the hang of drifting and generally make the car reliable before adding stupid things like internal upgrades and turbos.

Darchangel posted:

That's amazing, considering that a spool is literally a big chunk of aluminum machined to hold bearings and gears. I mean, there's cost involved in initial design, but once it's set up for CNC, the biggest cost is the sizable billet or casting. Guess there isn't enough volume for your diff to make it cost-effective. Eh, weld that sucker up!

And you never get worse. More practice = more better (:))

Yep. Titan Motorsports has a spool for the Supra for drag racing, and it must be made out of solid gold. The other company, Weir Performance, has been "testing" their SC300/400 spool for like two years now. I've tried contacting them about it, but they refuse to answer any emails or DMs I send. I'd so much rather install that for around $200 than weld, but I'm running out of options that don't cost 4 figures.

As for welding, I'm learning every time I turn the welder on. I'm going to hopefully weld the diff this weekend. I have the SC400 diff which has 3.92 ratio. Ultimately when I do purchase a proper clutch LSD I'd like to grab an auto SC300 diff (thankfully the most common) for its 4.27 gears, so I'm not too worried about welding the stocker up. Plus, weirdly, I can sell the welded diff for more than the open one when the time comes.

Croooober and other sites are an interesting idea, but I feel like I'd be buying questionable condition parts for a couple hundred dollars in savings. I'd probably be better off spending the extra couple hundred and getting new parts that are less likely to fail and need to be replaced quicker. But this is drifting, and I have zero experience, so what do I know.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
everyones favorite Losey did an hour long video with powervehicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebM3-Qp8Rz0

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
- Install gauges
- Work out tuning with HPTuners - this is a pretty important one - I'm debating towing the car to a shop to get properly tuned. I'm currently running a modified 4.8 manual tune that was adjusted for the larger LS2 injectors I have. No idea if it'll work at anything other than idle.
- Finish installing transmission related stuff - reverse lockout, reverse lights, and VSS wiring Picked up the pigtails and sensors, just need to wire them up.
- Make a plate to block off the hole in the transmission tunnel Have a plan for this one. I'll do it next weekend
- Remove the sunroof so I don't smack my helmet while driving (and eventually change the seat bracket to lower the seat) See below
- Reinforce motor mounts for peace of mind - probably not getting to this before the first test day.
- Figure out wheels/tires - I'm going to use some REALLY old OEM tires from my Lancer Evo as drift tires on some even older Momo wheels I bought in 1999 for now.
- Weld/spool the diff. The only spool on the market for this diff is "on sale" for $1,200. Every single 2 way LSD is cheaper than that, so I'll be welding the diff for now and upgrading to a proper LSD in the future.

I removed the sunroof this weekend and fabbed up a delete panel. This actually took a lot longer than I thought it would. I used 3M weatherstripping goo to seal the new panel to the roof and to make the rivets waterproof.

Pics:

The stock unit weighed 35 lbs.

Making the panel took a long time to plan out so it wouldn't look terrible.

Installed:

Most importantly, I can fit my head in the car without my helmet touching the roof. I still need to figure out how to lower the seat bracket some more. I definitely sit too high in the car. I'll probably throw some paint on the inside part of the panel to reduce reflections.

I'm also going to use the leftover aluminum sheet to patch over the hole in the transmission tunnel.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

everyones favorite Losey did an hour long video with powervehicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebM3-Qp8Rz0

how times change, when I was there they were off him hard

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Powervehicles are selling a unicorn, kawabatas toyot tires/ gp sports 180sx

Don’t have Facebook so can’t check the price but it’s the ready deal backwards entry monster

https://youtu.be/XyOVqaJzyMI

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's been a really productive two weeks.

- Install gauges - They are installed, but the oil temp and fuel gauges are not working yet. They look purdy though.

- Work out tuning with HPTuners - I ended up finding a 2002 Chevy Silverado 4.8 MT tune that I meshed with fuel settings from a 6.0 2004 Holden Commodore to make everything play nice.

- Finish installing transmission related stuff - reverse lockout, reverse lights, and VSS wiring

- Make a plate to block off the hole in the transmission tunnel

- Reinforce motor mounts for peace of mind
- Figure out wheels/tires

- Weld the diff.
Before:

After:

- Install new rear brake rotors, pads, and check the wear on the e-brake drum shoe. - Rotors are fine, didn't check the ebrake shoes, but popped new pads on.

That brings us to tonight. I've been pushing extra hard to get this all together by tomorrow for a Slide Factory drift clinic. I went and got the trailer, and had to put the car on late tonight instead of at 6am tomorrow. I rushed to get the car together and actually got everything I needed to get done, done.

But this being the first time I've taken it out of my driveway, something bad was bound to happen.

Power steering blew up and sprayed fluid all over everything. I had to wrestle the welded diff without power steering down the street and back with neighbors glaring from their front porches and other drivers not sure how to handle someone waving them by.

I'm not making the drift event tomorrow, and in fact not sure when I am going to work on the car again. Maybe tomorrow, maybe next week. I've been lying in puddles on the ground, soaked with rain for the past two weeks trying to get this thing ready. I knew something might happen, but I'm glad it was something simple like the power steering. It could have been much worse.

My hands look like they've been through hell, and my body feels like it, so I'll get to the power steering when I can.

Hopefully I can get the car together again soon and actually make my first drift event.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That sucks :( you are super close, though!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh man so sorry dude, that sucks and is a terrible, disappointing feeling. I worked on something for a month for it to not start on show day, can't imagine it being years. Also gotta marathon all your videos, I kinda wanted to wait til you were done so no suspense, haha.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Oh man, at the last minute too. It’s just a few more steps now though.

You’re killing it.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Serious question, are there any classes for non modified cars? I like the idea of drifting, but right now it just seems to be big hp numbers and steering kits everywhere.

I don't really know how to articulate my thoughts here without sounding like I'm making GBS threads all over the sport.

Like, I would be more impressed with guy one if he did the same thing as guy two, but with a third of the hp. Kinda.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not in the pro level in the US, but there are “limited” series like Top Drift Limited, where there are specific limitations on mods allowed. Only engine swaps allowed are same make model and year swaps, so if you have a 240sx you can swap an SR20 but not an RB25. Very limited other mods allowed, and minimal roll cage requirements. The idea being that you could roll up with a stock 350z and potentially be very competitive in that series.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

shy boy from chess club posted:

Oh man so sorry dude, that sucks and is a terrible, disappointing feeling. I worked on something for a month for it to not start on show day, can't imagine it being years. Also gotta marathon all your videos, I kinda wanted to wait til you were done so no suspense, haha.

I’m still playing catch-up on the videos, too. I think I’m somewhere in 2017? Engine bay painted, I think is the last one I watched.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got some sleep last night and took a look at the power steering system in the daylight. I noticed a kink on the power steering line that I assume happened when I torqued the hose end down. The line was pretty short and the kink was in an area I couldn't see without removing it. One of the hose ends was a little loose from the braided line, so maybe the kink caused a big enough blockage to blow an end out? I made a new longer hose and made sure there were no kinks this time. Also put some DEI heat sheathing around it. I'll fill the power steering tomorrow and see if it fixes the issue.

I cut the line in half to get the hose ends off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Serious question, are there any classes for non modified cars? I like the idea of drifting, but right now it just seems to be big hp numbers and steering kits everywhere.

I don't really know how to articulate my thoughts here without sounding like I'm making GBS threads all over the sport.

Like, I would be more impressed with guy one if he did the same thing as guy two, but with a third of the hp. Kinda.

You're definitely not making GBS threads all over the sport, there's a lot of high powered cars doing stuff but there's also an awful loft of drift 'purists' if you will with relatively underpowered cars having just as much fun as the big boys on the same tracks. It's worth looking into whether there's any groups local to you that do track days...

as for your final point, this is why Hiroshi Takahashi is a hero...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNRFl-lJqzs

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Drive whatever makes you happy I say. If it reaches the point where you aren’t able to drive without wisefab/a hydro brake/500hp you hosed up imo. Basic is best

Boostcreep that sucks about the P/S, I’ve drifted without it a few times and it sucks, even in cars that never had it. But if that’s all that’s wrong that’s rad

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You're definitely not making GBS threads all over the sport, there's a lot of high powered cars doing stuff but there's also an awful loft of drift 'purists' if you will with relatively underpowered cars having just as much fun as the big boys on the same tracks. It's worth looking into whether there's any groups local to you that do track days...

as for your final point, this is why Hiroshi Takahashi is a hero...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNRFl-lJqzs

Would like to point out that he's not using easy mode handbrake init.
edit: also, I don't think he was happy with the driver of the blue 86.

SquirrelGrip posted:

Drive whatever makes you happy I say. If it reaches the point where you aren’t able to drive without wisefab/a hydro brake/500hp you hosed up imo. Basic is best

Boostcreep that sucks about the P/S, I’ve drifted without it a few times and it sucks, even in cars that never had it. But if that’s all that’s wrong that’s rad

As far as I can tell, the drift idiots that owned my AE86 previously *removed* the power steering. They at least put a manual rack in, rather than :airquote:covert:airquote: the power rack.
There's an extraneous bracket on the engine, and hardline clips on the frame rail that had no current purpose. Personally, I wish it had power steering, especially with the smaller Momo wheel. I'm probably going to put the OEM steering wheel back on. Mind you, I'm not going to drift it, so my priorities are different. I don't feel like yet another AE86 needs to be ruined on the pedestal of drifting.
I love the SC300/400 being ruined set up for drifting, for some reason, though. Heck, I'd like to see an LS400 out there. Need some shortbed 88-98 Chevy pickups out there, too.

edit again: and some loving Crown Vics.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Not sure about where you are but the Lonestar drift series prohibits pickup trucks.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
manual racks in an ae86 arent the worst thing, but i havent owned a car without ps in over 10 years now (the last ones were an 86 and a ke20) so id probably change my tune if i had to drive one now.

and yes, anything boaty/4 door is cool;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8zjR7ES1Wo

edit: we got plenty of utes, theres a 750hp ls hilux getting around as well

SquirrelGrip fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 20, 2019

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Darchangel posted:

I love the SC300/400 being ruined set up for drifting, for some reason, though.

There’s a reason I chose a platform that was made in massive numbers, isn’t generally a collector’s item, and was heading to the junkyard anyway. I specifically even avoided the factory manual model due to rarity. I would rather see any car end its life on a race track than wasting away in a junkyard and getting crushed.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Would like to point out that he's not using easy mode handbrake init.
edit: also, I don't think he was happy with the driver of the blue 86.

Yeah using weight transfer to initiate is boss level dorifto but then he's an old D1 competitor from what I've read. I do need to buy one of those backward 'gently caress OFF' stickers off him though to support his endeavours in doing mad poo poo on the track.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Shamino posted:

Not sure about where you are but the Lonestar drift series prohibits pickup trucks.

There’s an irony there that pickups are forbidden in anything in (presumably) Texas. Which is actually where I am.

BoostCreep posted:

There’s a reason I chose a platform that was made in massive numbers, isn’t generally a collector’s item, and was heading to the junkyard anyway. I specifically even avoided the factory manual model due to rarity. I would rather see any car end its life on a race track than wasting away in a junkyard and getting crushed.

The best case. Of course, AE86s were common as dirt and about as cheap when this all started. I acknowledge that there is a bit of a lack of RWD platforms to use.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I don’t like this kid at all, but he was at one of my local tracks recently for an “invite only event”, you can see some of the weird poo poo we got here

https://youtu.be/FSLusl5QaSc

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CK94zCXsKI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB0hYtsQsP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzd6eKvC9mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxBhin3axUw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXAQCIo348k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-2NKg1Z2RM&t=85s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRrjuzhHLo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omcp7aYiYw

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

reminder that this car is for sale, you wont be able to drive like this but you can own it all the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Gettin' it with naff all power is the one. A friend of mine's been drifting his IS200 Sport Cross because he stoved his R33 into a concrete block at the track, for something that came with 155hp at best from factory he keeps up with much more powerful cars and is committed to sending it all the time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbxfD6tHs3h/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet