Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Cyouni posted:

And he'd know.

One always sneaks in somehow. Fixed, was tempted to leave it as it was, but one must strive to provide the best product at the most reasonable price to win the game of capitalism.

Or, you know, I use my money to run all the other LPers out of business, that works too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Sandman posted:

My guess is Recette didn't have the money for ink.

Nah, she just uses magical disappearing ink that's set to vanish on the last day. That way, if any pesky royal tax collectors want to stop in and check the ledgers, she can show that she's "barely" making ends meet, and therefore can't pay her taxes to the king, taking advantage of a tax law loophole meant to encourage businesses to establish themselves in the kingdom. Every cycle, the ink fades away, leaving blank ledgers to start the whole cycle over again, all the while Recette is funnelling her excess gains to her offshore bank, through shell corporations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
man, no wonder Griff hates humans, if even the smallest among them are secretly so bloodthirsty when it comes to capitalism

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Griff is probably working under a blood or soul-based economy and endless war would be good for them.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

mauman posted:

I know I'm doomed to failure, but I'll hang with my best bud Elan.

So....SO happy to be wrong.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

It’s All Setup

Day 2

Alright, time to get to work! Gotta make this item shop successful to make enough money to pay off Papa Lemongrass’s debt.

Yeah, I think that will keep me going for a while.

Took a trip to the guild, where I remembered that I’ve kinda ignored fusion (the item crafting system) aside from a brief demonstration a long time back.

Fusion is simple in theory, annoying in practice, and pretty thoroughly useless until the endgame. Fusions are split into ranks, you gain access to new ranks by increasing merchant level. By combining items (usually a base piece of equipment, either purchased or found in dungeons or rarely obtained from townspeople selling ancestral family heirlooms.

The important bit there is stuff found in dungeons. I’ve picked up a lot of useless crap in dungeons that sits in the ingredients category, these are all used primarily in fusion. Unlike all other items, ingredients come in multiple varieties, the old RPG staple of +(number). On ingredients, these pluses are worthless (aside from being more sought after by buyers if you try to sell them for some reason). The trick is using them in fusion. Any items+ used in fusion will contribute the full value of their + to the final product. Hence my Survival Knife+2, made from a storebought Crafter’s Knife and a Fin Fan+2. Pluses on equipment are actually useful, contributing the full value to the highest stat on that item. In this case, +2 to attack.

Or this Adventure Clothes+6, made from storebought Tough Clothes and numerous Fur Balls of various qualities. Items max out at +15, easy enough to achieve on higher rank fusions with many ingredients.

Or sometimes you just get lucky, like the chestnuts I used to make this Chainmail Shirt+15. Despite being made from much weaker Adventure Clothes, this armor is nearly as good as the top end storebought armor due to its additional +15 defense.

I also took this opportunity to expand my shop all the way to full size, one expansion past where I was at the end of the previous month, though I had to pawn some of my stuff back to the guild to do so.

I hate this shop. In addition to the already established problem with the right side window not fitting an entire counter, nothing lines up properly in here. It bothers me.

Also, I have two max size vending machines now. That’s twenty slots of sweet sweet extra sale chances. Vending machines are basically an extra chance to sell to anybody who comes into the shop, with the caveat that you can’t set prices or haggle, they will only pay the actual value of the item.

Also, Louie is here. I have to finish Jade Way to unlock Elan, so Louie’s still our guy for now.

Still had to clear Hall of Trials. Not exactly a challenge.

Which led to Caillou showing up again, oh goody.

But this time…

Blast it, girl, I told you not to fool around with me. If you think… I…

Some of these are nearly IMMPOSSIBLE to!... How the flippin’ flapjacks did y… Ah, well, ahem! I seem to have greatly misjudged your store, madam fairy! Please accept my most profound apologies.

Hehe! Apology accepted! It isn’t a surprise, we’re just that amazing!

…Why are you getting so proud over this? You’re not the owner, you’re the counter-jockey.

Oh Caillou, you’re still a dick.

Yay.

Luckily, I keep my dungeon progress after each dungeon is unlocked, so rather than having to run through the entire Jade Way, I can just do the last wing, fight Charme, and be done with it.

Yeah, her.

Well, that’s done. Level 30 decently geared Louie kinda curbstomps the lady thief.

Hey, Louie, I need you to do more curbstomping!

Okay, I kid, I actually went looking for Euria this time, because I’m an idiot.

But also because she’s the only source for some items, even though she drastically overcharges for them, usually demanding 500% of the base price. You’ll note I don’t even have 100% of the price of this wallpaper. Did not get the wallpaper.

She’s not even a very good conwoman.

Got Charme’s card, but Charme got no votes. Sorry Charme.

Not sorry.

First week done, payment made, all is well.

Which leads to Alouette showing up.

Yes I’m screwing around with the decoration. Opening Amber Garden requires getting Charme to visit, which requires a dark and gaudy store.

It also requires seeing Tielle trying to keep up with her sister.

The next time Euria shows up, I have the money. I could easily buy this cat.

I could even pay her absolutely overblown asking price.

But generally, 210% of base price is enough to buy from Euria without haggling, thus not breaking a sales streak.

The statue’s useless, I just wanted one.

That’s Amber Garden open.

This one’s actually kind of useful. Stuff like this is why you want Euria around, being able to buy otherwise difficult to obtain items helps, even though a lot of her poo poo is worthless and it’s all overpriced.

Hey, there’s our guy!

I still like this line.

The package is obtained and delivered, quest complete.

Still want to know, damned noodle incidents…

Poor Elan, Recette thinks he’s Catholic.

His name is Elan, and he will be our asskicker.

Had to redecorate again to get Elan to visit. Light and plain for him.

And then that night he came back to give us his card. Alright, that’s the setup complete!

NEXT TIME: Elan needs gear and levels, and I need to familiarize myself with him. Grinding time!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Remember to give Elan lot's and lot's of steroids vitamins :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

mauman posted:

Remember to give Elan lot's and lot's of steroids vitamins candy from the church box :v:

Fixed

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Yours makes more sense, it's not steroids, he's just getting fat from gorging himself on candy, so there's more of him to hit.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Reinstalled the game. Already on the fourth NG+, having done Louie, Caillou, Charme, and working on Tielle. Remembered what I liked about the game, and remembered why I quit. The encyclopedia, especially the later fusions are really just shy of impossible. I'll stick with it though, see how far I get.

For the complete lack of votes Charme got, she's actually the most reliable workhorse for dungeon clearing. Won't mention too much if you're planning on doing all characters, but her speed is just so convenient, and while she doesn't have a ton of skills, one is good for escapes and another I spammed for bosses.

Speed is especially important since a lot of fusions require rare treasures dropped from a treasure chest. Not only can Charme dash to the chest the fastest, she immediately knows if it's trapped. When trying to grind for these random items, you have to hit every chest on the map as fast as you can and she's the best bet. Even rank 2 fusions are better than anything store-bought, so getting them online faster can save A LOT of hassle.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Random_Username posted:

Reinstalled the game. Already on the fourth NG+, having done Louie, Caillou, Charme, and working on Tielle. Remembered what I liked about the game, and remembered why I quit. The encyclopedia, especially the later fusions are really just shy of impossible. I'll stick with it though, see how far I get.

For the complete lack of votes Charme got, she's actually the most reliable workhorse for dungeon clearing. Won't mention too much if you're planning on doing all characters, but her speed is just so convenient, and while she doesn't have a ton of skills, one is good for escapes and another I spammed for bosses.

Speed is especially important since a lot of fusions require rare treasures dropped from a treasure chest. Not only can Charme dash to the chest the fastest, she immediately knows if it's trapped. When trying to grind for these random items, you have to hit every chest on the map as fast as you can and she's the best bet. Even rank 2 fusions are better than anything store-bought, so getting them online faster can save A LOT of hassle.

I disagree if only because she has the defense of a wet paper bag and the end-game dungeons monsters (where you do item grinding) will turn her to paste if you accidentally bump into them (and at her speed you likely will). There are two other characters nearly as fast as her getting around, their defenses are WAY better, and traps aren't that big of a deal to begin with. And as an extra slap in the face, those two characters have ways of mitigating damage when running into enemies.

I like Charme, and she was my main my first time through (back when her mirage skill was WAY better), but she has severe limitations unless you have the reflexes of a Golden God.....which at least I don't.

Also, pick the right character and you don't even have to do as much gear grinding to get your best gear, because the infinity -1 versions of gear that drop from boss rushes can be better for those characters than the infinity +1 versions....which require the infinity -1 versions and a shitton of grinding.

Charme is NOT one of those characters.

edit - the one exception I'll give is if you're grinding lower level dungeons where the monsters are a joke for something specific...like goldfish bowls or something.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 5, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Give Elan all the Rare Candy

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

Some of these are nearly IMMPOSSIBLE to!... How the flippin’ flapjacks did y… Ah, well, ahem! I seem to have greatly misjudged your store, madam fairy! Please accept my most profound apologies.
Okay, I've never seen this scene because my dungeon RNG is terrible and I never have the items, but that's adorable. :allears:
Assuming this goes into NG+2, my vote's gonna be for Caillou just for that.
You know, it's times like this that I'm really glad you can set the price as whatever. You want a shittier weapon Charme? Gimme a hundred thousand to even consider it. :argh:

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

mauman posted:

I like Charme, and she was my main my first time through (back when her mirage skill was WAY better), but she has severe limitations unless you have the reflexes of a Golden God.....which at least I don't.

To be fair, I'm not at endgame yet since I'm grinding through the true cards and it's been too long for me to remember my old run. I definitely used Charme a lot, but it may have been familiarity or ease of use? I don't doubt she's not good enough defensively for the final dungeons, but I'm pretty sure I ran her anyway (probably died a lot too). One thing that immediately throws me off is how she's the only (?) character who can dash and move in any direction, which always make the other ones feel clunky to me.

I just wanted to give her some credit, since the votes didn't. I didn't have any problems running her through any ng+ dungeons and I enjoy her speed even if it's a little too fast sometimes. Might've overstated her, but I'd be surprised if she doesn't end up as many peoples' main, especially on a first run. Decent options and speed make her a breath of fresh air after being stuck with Louie initially.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm kind of interested to at least see you attempt to finish the encyclopedia considering how much of an absolute slog people say it is with many of the late-game things you have to get. I never did get far enough for high-level fusions in my game.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

Okay, I've never seen this scene because my dungeon RNG is terrible and I never have the items, but that's adorable. :allears:
Assuming this goes into NG+2, my vote's gonna be for Caillou just for that.

I reinstalled the game and of course had to start over because my saves were all gone (on a long-deceased hard drive, no less), and in my first game, I got all the ingredients before I was high enough merchant level for Caillou to show up. (My 7-year-old keeps calling him Chloe and saying it's because Caillou isn't a name.)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Truthkeeper posted:

NEXT TIME: Elan needs gear and levels, and I need to familiarize myself with him. Grinding time!

Phew. How tough is it to actually get Elan to buy gear, I wonder?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glazius posted:

Phew. How tough is it to actually get Elan to buy gear, I wonder?

Elan is the one person in this game that has less money than Louie, so you do the math.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

Elan is the one person in this game that has less money than Louie, so you do the math.
at the very least, he and Tielle are stupid easy to get their customer rank up so they actually have a budget - make it light, put candy in the windows. Tielle buys it because she has a sweet tooth and a sugar addiction, Elan buys it to give to the orphanage kids.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

JosephWongKS posted:

It's not that hard really. He'll still make orders like everybody else and when that happens you just give him the infinity +1 item for 1 pix.

If you mean ACTUALLY buy it though without orders and at normal prices....yeah nigh impossible.

But that's true for all but maybe one or two characters after a certain point. I think there's only one character (maybe 2?) who have the possible budget for the top-tier stuff. And most of them won't generally have the budget for even the next-to-top-tier stuff.

That being said, it's pretty easy to get him to come into the shop. Keep your place plain-ish and put some candy or something cheap in the front window.

This will incidentally also attract Tielle and keep out Euria. Sadly it will also keep out Alouette. Unless you consider that a bonus I suppose :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 6, 2019

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm kind of interested to at least see you attempt to finish the encyclopedia considering how much of an absolute slog people say it is with many of the late-game things you have to get. I never did get far enough for high-level fusions in my game.

HAHAHA no.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

Yeah...I don't think you get it. Most games, 100% completion is just a couple extra sidequests or dungeons or a newgame plus. This is hours upon hours of rare drops from difficult bosses, enemies that only appear in certain portions of certain dungeons, random rare drops from treasure chests (half of which are trapped and contain nothing), and randomly sold to you by customers (Euria having her own list of exclusive and expensive sold items).

It is all caps NOT FUN.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Random_Username posted:

Yeah...I don't think you get it. Most games, 100% completion is just a couple extra sidequests or dungeons or a newgame plus. This is hours upon hours of rare drops from difficult bosses, enemies that only appear in certain portions of certain dungeons, random rare drops from treasure chests (half of which are trapped and contain nothing), and randomly sold to you by customers (Euria having her own list of exclusive and expensive sold items).

It is all caps NOT FUN.

Well it just sounds to me like you're all just not trying hard enough :colbert:

Recette and Tear would be disappointed at your lack of exploitation of business opportunities.

For real though, I totally understand not wanting to deal with all that crap.

JustPassingBy
Aug 6, 2014
My first thought was "Oh, it's not THAT bad, just ignore the non-ultimate stuff that only drops from chests and doesn't fuse into anything, why would you want it anyways" but I then remembered 1) That's kinda sorta not actually 100%, and 2) I've given up on ever getting the best weapon for my main because the book I need to fuse it (the Remetogen) is so rare that there are exactly two sources on the internet on where you can get it, and they don't agree.
Also, Fur Balls. I grinded for them before a patch cut the highest required amount by over half (which is still a pain!) and the mental scars will never fade away.

TL;DR: I have over a hundred hours logged in and am at 91% completion. Truthkeeper doesn't deserve this.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

JustPassingBy posted:

Also, Fur Balls. I grinded for them before a patch cut the highest required amount by over half (which is still a pain!) and the mental scars will never fade away.

When there's an announcement that girls want fur balls for divination, I suggest they hire their own adventurers and trudge through dungeons all by their-own-selves, yes. Really, think of "whoa, I never managed to have all of Caillou's stuff before he showed up the first time!" and multiply it by ten thousand, in terms of completing the encyclopedia. I guess if it were the only video game I could play for the rest of my life I might complete it, but then again I might invent a way to play Pokemon with coconuts and seashells instead.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I really, really wish there was an post-game shop that sold some of the dungeon items. Make them ludicrous prices for all I care!! Make them not have any bonuses!! Just don't make me trudge through the same 10 floors over and over and over again for loving earth crystals!!!!!!!!!!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Blaziken386 posted:

I really, really wish there was an post-game shop that sold some of the dungeon items. Make them ludicrous prices for all I care!! Make them not have any bonuses!! Just don't make me trudge through the same 10 floors over and over and over again for loving earth crystals!!!!!!!!!!

Or even let you put up "items wanted" posters in your shop, e.g. replace a counter with a noticeboard.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

nielsm posted:

Or even let you put up "items wanted" posters in your shop, e.g. replace a counter with a noticeboard.

That would be amazing, especially when an adventurer you hadn't used at all pops up with a bucket of earth crystals like they're chestnuts.

Edit: when getting ready for the next loop, I managed to see a brand new stamp at the end of the day! Recette did not get Exceeded Expectations or Well Done...

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 6, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

nielsm posted:

see, it's ideas like this that make me wish Recettear had mods for it. But apparently, modding indie games is practically verboten in japan, and Recettear's following over here is even smaller than it is there, so we're condemned to pray to the RNG gods until the end of times.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

The irony is that even this probably wouldn't be enough for 100%, since I imagine you would have to have seen the item before asking for it, and there's a whole bunch of items so rare you'll probably only ever see one.

It's a genuine shame more stuff never came out of Recettear. Would've been down for some DLC or a sequel or something. Moonlighter does not hit the same itch, unfortunately.

Talking about potential changes to make the game better, I was kinda sad how simple the normal buying/selling becomes after a NG+ or two. Not only will you have so much money/items, if you've at all figured out near/exact pins then everyone can afford all conventional goods. Could've killed two birds with one stone if you offered some rare items as prizes for survival mode, or maybe you do like a puzzle mode where it's one day but you have to make the most money so haggling is actually worth it.

Sadly, much like in real life, automation wins the day. Most of my endgame store layout is vending machines.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Tear: THESE ARE ALL BLANK!

Right. Recette piled up weeks of blank paperwork, and Tear had no idea. I call shenanigans. Tear knew. Hell, she probably "misplaced" those forms so she would have an excuse to stay.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Andyzero posted:

Tear: THESE ARE ALL BLANK!

Right. Recette piled up weeks of blank paperwork, and Tear had no idea. I call shenanigans. Tear knew. Hell, she probably "misplaced" those forms so she would have an excuse to stay.

Realistically, this is probably exactly the case. But it's more fun to perpetuate Recette being an evil mastermind.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Well, I think that Tear was looking for any excuse she could get to stay with her new best friend :colbert:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Tear pretended not to notice Recette hauling a barrel full of unfinished financials directly in front of the exit.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Well, I think that Tear was looking for any excuse she could get to stay with her new best friend :colbert:
no this is pretty much explicitly what it is, Tear is a massive tsundere and has too much pride to admit stuff like that

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The RNG really hates me. I mean, I don't think it hates me specifically, I think it hates everyone, but I decided to do the entirety of the Jade Way at a time to try to get fur balls. I got two fur balls, a slime liver, a bat wing, and four charred lizards. If there were a cheat code for 99 fur balls I would enter it without shame, even if it meant the Guildmaster called me CHEAT instead of Recette for the rest of the game.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

zonohedron posted:

The RNG really hates me. I mean, I don't think it hates me specifically, I think it hates everyone, but I decided to do the entirety of the Jade Way at a time to try to get fur balls. I got two fur balls, a slime liver, a bat wing, and four charred lizards. If there were a cheat code for 99 fur balls I would enter it without shame, even if it meant the Guildmaster called me CHEAT instead of Recette for the rest of the game.

As far as I'm aware, the mechanics have never been pinned down, but it seems like drop rates increase from enemies on higher dungeon floors than lower, so you'd be better off hanging out in the last wing of Jade Way killing rabbit respawns than running the whole thing. They also appear in the last wing of Amber Garden and in one of the postgame dungeons. The the RNG still hates you and everybody else and grinding fur balls (and other fusion ingredients) is still more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Truthkeeper posted:

The the RNG still hates you and everybody else and grinding fur balls (and other fusion ingredients) is still more of a pain in the rear end than it's worth.

It also doesn’t help that 90% of the fusions are not worth it from a profit standpoint, an equipment standpoint, or both. Recettear is definitely one of those games you break the wiki out for in certain situations. Or savescum endlessly, whichever one works.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Kemix posted:

It also doesn’t help that 90% of the fusions are not worth it from a profit standpoint, an equipment standpoint, or both. Recettear is definitely one of those games you break the wiki out for in certain situations. Or savescum endlessly, whichever one works.

The worst part is that the dungeon loot is designed just right that you probably wouldn't savescum. Trying to get slime liver really early for Caillou? Sure, reset until you get it, it's the first boss. But what if you're grinding Boss X who is halfway through a boss rush? Oh he didn't drop anything? Well sure, but you did get some slime liver and charred lizard, so I guess you might as well finish the run and cash those out.

It's the same reason you don't just ragequit when you die in the super dungeons: You can still bring back 1-3 items. Recettear makes you live with your shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Random_Username posted:

The worst part is that the dungeon loot is designed just right that you probably wouldn't savescum. Trying to get slime liver really early for Caillou? Sure, reset until you get it, it's the first boss. But what if you're grinding Boss X who is halfway through a boss rush? Oh he didn't drop anything? Well sure, but you did get some slime liver and charred lizard, so I guess you might as well finish the run and cash those out.

It's the same reason you don't just ragequit when you die in the super dungeons: You can still bring back 1-3 items.* Recettear makes you live with your shame.
*provided your adventurer actually buys the upgrades and those free slots aren't for holding the +1 Sword of Asskicking and Armor That Isn't Made of Cardboard