Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

*provided your adventurer actually buys the upgrades and those free slots aren't for holding the +1 Sword of Asskicking and Armor That Isn't Made of Cardboard

The real save scumming happens in the shop.

Stop loving selling me walnut bread Louie and buy the goddamn sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Equipping allies would be so much easier if they'd actually equip all items from multi-orders.

Elan - Hey, I need 3 pieces of armor

Me - :swoon: Take the infinity +1 robe, hat, and uh...whatever else

Elan - Sweet hat...<throws out the robe and other item>

Me - :saddowns:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

"Just ask for the fuckin' gear, you don't need any money I'll sell it for a pix, bring up the drat gear

WHY ARE YOU BUYING THAT"

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Complications posted:

"Just ask for the fuckin' gear, you don't need any money I'll sell it for a pix, bring up the drat gear

WHY ARE YOU BUYING THAT"

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but a character won't EVER (or if they do it's really rare and I've never noticed it) bring something up for sale that they can't cover with their potential budget. This is why it's important to capitalize on orders.

Honestly, this is a good thing as it prevents you from having to deal with either losing profit or losing combos when you're just trying to meet the weekly loan repayment. It just happens to be annoying when you get the final stretch and you're trying to munchkin your adventurers.

Elan, Louie, and Tielle have the issues here the most. Tielle will grow out of it eventually (her max budget is surprisingly high, not high enough for end-tier stuff of course).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

mauman posted:

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but a character won't EVER (or if they do it's really rare and I've never noticed it) bring something up for sale that they can't cover with their potential budget. This is why it's important to capitalize on orders.

Honestly, this is a good thing as it prevents you from having to deal with either losing profit or losing combos when you're just trying to meet the weekly loan repayment. It just happens to be annoying when you get the final stretch and you're trying to munchkin your adventurers.

Elan, Louie, and Tielle have the issues here the most. Tielle will grow out of it eventually (her max budget is surprisingly high, not high enough for end-tier stuff of course).
:negative:
why, developers

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Blaziken386 posted:

why, developers

Because gently caress you, use your item slots for weapons and armor

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

i think the real lesson behind this game is that capitalism is soul crushing, and it hates You in particular

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Blaziken386 posted:

i think the real lesson behind this game is that capitalism is soul crushing, and it hates You in particular

:capitalism:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

why, developers

If it makes you feel any better (or worse :downs:), only Griff and Arma can get their budgets high enough for end game stuff. And that takes a lot of effort.

Calilou of all people comes REALLY close, but just misses the mark. He can afford quite a bit of ulitmate gear, but not his weapon. Everybody else is nowhere near the amount needed, not even Charme, who being a thief you'd think would have a lot of money, but NOPE.

Also, I never understood why people think Elan is poorer than Louie. They have the exact same min and max budget. I can only assume it's because people get Elan later and by that time Louie's customer level has likely gone up a bit.

Finally, take the words "surprisingly high" with a grain of salt when I described Tielle's budget. She's still on the low side, just barely better than Elan/Louie.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 12, 2019

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

mauman posted:

If it makes you feel any better (or worse :downs:), only Griff and Arma can get their budgets high enough for end game stuff. And that takes a lot of effort.

Calilou of all people comes REALLY close, but just misses the mark. He can afford quite a bit of ulitmate gear, but not his weapon. Everybody else is nowhere near the amount needed, not even Charme, who being a thief you'd think would have a lot of money, but NOPE.

Charme clearly spends all her money on booze.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Since we're talking characters anyway, anyone have some tips for Tielle?

I'm trying to get a feel for everyone by running them through dungeons and boss rushes, but Tielle keeps eating hits while doing Obsidian Tower boss rush. I feel like I can't get enough damage out, since she has to charge. Cuterage helps a bit, but some bosses have a lot on screen. Starshot arrow is the only thing I've found to have enough invincibility frames to dodge attacks, specifically Griff's homing fire attack which was consistently hitting and killing me until I figured that out.

I dunno. Her equipment is fine for where she's at. Rank 2 +15 bow and best of the store bought goods. She's just not fast enough for me? She can't dash, and she can't attack immediately, and there's just enough off that it's bugging me...

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
Cuterage is the panic button you're looking for. It offers some invincibility frames and has almost no cooldown between uses, which means you can make Tielle invincible for as long as you want by simply mashing the button until you're no longer in danger (or you run out of SP, which she normally has plenty of). Against bosses this lets you totally avoid the worst attacks, and it's also useful as you dungeon crawl because everything in a wide AoE around Tielle suffers a lengthy stun when Cuterage activates, letting you easily escape from very fast enemies (or kill them while they're helpless).

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

zonohedron posted:

The RNG really hates me. I mean, I don't think it hates me specifically, I think it hates everyone, but I decided to do the entirety of the Jade Way at a time to try to get fur balls. I got two fur balls, a slime liver, a bat wing, and four charred lizards. If there were a cheat code for 99 fur balls I would enter it without shame, even if it meant the Guildmaster called me CHEAT instead of Recette for the rest of the game.

If you're comfortable with using Cheat Engine to hack the game's memory directly this table has a set of scripts that will allow you to edit the count and item ID of the first slot in your inventory. Quality levels increase the item ID sequentially by 1 so if your base level item ID is 256512 (walnut bread in my game), then the +15 version will be 25627, and 25628 will be the next item in the list. Editing count is a little harder and may not work properly, so you can instead tick the box next to "Current Items Count" to freeze that value and place that item around the store and pick it back up to increase the amount you have. I recognise that's a pain, but it's gotta be better than dungeon grinding. (You can also click slightly to the right of the checkbox to allow the value to increase but not decrease, decrease but not increase or reset it to freeze in both directions.)

e: There's also a save game editor. I've used these extensively and my computer hasn't exploded, so I'm willing to vouch for them being safe enough.

vvvvvvv: Oh yeah, just checked to confirm this, it has a sneaky "Install Avast Antivirus" page in there. Don't succumb to Nextitis, read what's on the screen if you do decide to install Cheat Engine.

Makrond fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 13, 2019

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Just as a heads up, the installer for the current latest version of Cheat Engine tries to sneak some malware onto your computer.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Get around that by going straight from its Github page: https://github.com/cheat-engine/cheat-engine

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Vil posted:

Get around that by going straight from its Github page: https://github.com/cheat-engine/cheat-engine

How do you install/launch from that? Not seeing any install files or executables after the download.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Zagglezig posted:

How do you install/launch from that? Not seeing any install files or executables after the download.

Did you hit the small button to download the source code (in which case you need to compile it before you can do anything with it) Or the giant green button that downloads the installer?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Oh, whoops. Didn't even scroll down that far, just downloaded the zip file from the clone or download thing and assumed that was everything. Thanks.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I discovered a really interesting bug: if you do new-game-plus from a save set at Evening, you start out at Morning rather than Noon, and thus can't, on Day 2 (i.e. your first day), go to the adventurer's guild twice. Opening that save, advancing the time to Night (by going out of the shop, into somewhere else, and then back in), saving, and then using that save for new-game-plus, results in starting at Morning. (I am not at the moment interested in seeing what happens if your save is Morning or Noon.)

Edit: I had it happen at Night, too, because my save was from out of the store. I am no longer sure what causes it.

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 21, 2019

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Getting pretty tempted by some of these cheats...

Just had a NG+ and a customer walks in asking me to buy a treasure I've never seen before. It's incidentally also a treasure valued at 800,000.

I had 2400 pix.

:allears:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Today I learned that you can find Nagi in a dungeon while already accompanied by Nagi.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

zonohedron posted:

Today I learned that you can find Nagi in a dungeon while already accompanied by Nagi.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

This was my first thought as well.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I miss 8-Bit Theater

I'd certainly take Black Mage over Caillou any day.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I already knew you could do Louie's qualifying-trip-through-the-Hall-of-Trials as another adventurer, and you can get not-robbed by Charme as Charme, but I actually wasn't sure if it would let me find Nagi as Nagi. I suppose expecting the game to check that you weren't there with Nagi was too much to ask.

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011
Let's be fair, it's a few lines of dialogue away from being a goddamn golden feature. I know that I wouldn't take that out if it came up during testing.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Speaking of dungeon events, my 7-year-old came running up to me in the middle of his computer time to tell me that Alouette had stolen all his items. I am genuinely unsure whether this happened and it's an event I forgot, or he's telling a story about Recettear. Any help?

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

zonohedron posted:

Speaking of dungeon events, my 7-year-old came running up to me in the middle of his computer time to tell me that Alouette had stolen all his items. I am genuinely unsure whether this happened and it's an event I forgot, or he's telling a story about Recettear. Any help?

Definitely not. You can find her and a group of generic adventurers (they look like a young man from the store). Maybe your kid died to something else while next to her group and thought she did it?

Also, shamelessly bumping in hopes of an update. Haven't played in a bit, but just need Elan and Nagi cards before moving on to endless. Have a bunch of the late game reagents grinded up already: ghost tears, soft stones, crystals of all colors. Of course, all that is a pile of nothing without the random drops...

I genuinely wonder why they leaned in so hard on the RNG. The post-game dungeons are a real pain, but are doable as long as you have decent gear and know your mechanics (Upping your health and bringing tons of food is smart too), but they're the ones that drop the ingredients. It's the same as any game with a superboss that drops your ultimate weapon; if you can beat it anyway, then you didn't need it.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Random_Username posted:

crystals of all colors.

The red crystals (and slime livers) are my current white whales; I need 10 of the latter for a fusion and I keep getting the crownéd slime's rare drop instead, and obviously Red Knights are stingy little monsters who practically never even drop a jar of toothpicks. :sigh:

quote:

It's the same as any game with a superboss that drops your ultimate weapon; if you can beat it anyway, then you didn't need it.
Same problem with the super-food (and no, not the housewives with their diets revolving around Shark Fins); you're never going to have enough that you'll feel like using them, even against post-game-content bosses.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

People dunk on sprite comics alot...including 8-bit theater...

and while I will agree that most sprite comics are poo poo, I unironically loved 8-bit T.

If that means I have bad taste, then so be it....everybody is allowed to have bad taste once in a while.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

mauman posted:

People dunk on sprite comics alot...including 8-bit theater...

and while I will agree that most sprite comics are poo poo, I unironically loved 8-bit T.

If that means I have bad taste, then so be it....everybody is allowed to have bad taste once in a while.

8bit Theater was pretty good, but it hasn't aged well in the way it approaches sociocultural issues.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sprite comics are fine in principle, they just had an even lower bar for entry than regular webcomics since you don't really need to be capable of art at all to do them, so the ratio of crap ones is even higher than normal.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Sprite comics are fine in principle, they just had an even lower bar for entry than regular webcomics since you don't really need to be capable of art at all to do them, so the ratio of crap ones is even higher than normal.

The good sprite comics usually use custom sprites, and may have complete artwork (as pixel-art)

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

You guys have been right decent keeping up the conversation here while I've been too busy to progress. I'm gonna reward you with a special Truthkeeper livestream, tonight at 10EST. Maybe just leveling up Elan and hoping he'll buy some equipment, maybe some actual game progress, we'll see how the night goes.
https://www.twitch.tv/thetruthkeeper

EDIT: Stream is over now, but I might make a habit of this. At the very least I hope to have time to do it again tomorrow night.

Temporary link: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/462699376

Moment of the evening:

Tear: We can not fight incorporeal balls of fire and hate, you see.

Truthkeeper: The hell you say, I can fight anything! Elan's fists are like things unto iron!

*Nearly kills one will o' wisp, immediately loses half a life bar to another while four more move in*

Truthkeeper: Alright, probably should have listened to the fairy on this one.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 5, 2019

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Truthkeeper posted:

Maybe just leveling up Elan and hoping he'll buy some equipment, maybe some actual game progress

If by 'equipment' you mean 'buying books with his lunch money', we're right on track already!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I was pretty fond of "Elan dashes into a chest. Chest opens and Elan falls on his face, because that's how Elan ends dashes when he hits something. Chest is a teleport trap. Teleport trap drops Elan directly on the next-level teleporter. Elan gets up and dashes into a ghost. Ghost gets knocked back and Elan falls on his face (see above), but he falls on his face in the next hallway over, which has a rock trap, which drops rocks before Elan gets back up." which is what prompted me to say "so no poo poo, there I was, right, with the little girl and her fairy in their protective bubble, and I ran into a ghost, fell on my face, had rocks land on the back of my head, and then the ghost set my hair on fire" in the stream chat :v:

And, editing so as not to triple-post, I have discovered why Louie can't pay his bar tab:

...Louie why are you stocking your bachelor hovel with treasures stop it

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 9, 2019

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Busy? Lost interest? I really want there to be more of this.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

nielsm posted:

Busy? Lost interest? I really want there to be more of this.
he's in debt to the faerie mob

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

op lost their house and hasn't figured out time travel yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I'm not dead and neither is the LP, just been crazy busy recently. Hoping to squeeze in an update tomorrow, though it might be another stream in lieu of a write-up. Still have to get the last one I did uploaded to Youtube at some point.