Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

T-man posted:

Does that mean we start the game with $5?
No handouts, no welfare!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Pierzak posted:

No handouts, no welfare!

Something about bootstraps!

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
The game needs for items in every category to increase in price exponentially. Some item categories, like weapons and armor, have examples that are probably magical and thus can be as expensive as needed. Other categories like food and books are harder to justify. Either some food are too cheap or other food items are too expensive. It gets even worse if we compare the prices from different categories. A longsword has a base price of 1,200 pix while an apple pie is 12,000 pix.

Anyway, this talk about prices gave me a thought, what could Recette's dad buy with his loan? I think he could have easily gotten a full set of the most expensive buy-able equipment. Well, it's not as if the game makes him out to be smart with money.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Truthkeeper posted:

Barrels?...

Wrong game, Recette.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Crystalgate posted:

The game needs for items in every category to increase in price exponentially. Some item categories, like weapons and armor, have examples that are probably magical and thus can be as expensive as needed. Other categories like food and books are harder to justify. Either some food are too cheap or other food items are too expensive. It gets even worse if we compare the prices from different categories. A longsword has a base price of 1,200 pix while an apple pie is 12,000 pix.

Anyway, this talk about prices gave me a thought, what could Recette's dad buy with his loan? I think he could have easily gotten a full set of the most expensive buy-able equipment. Well, it's not as if the game makes him out to be smart with money.
99 poison cures "Just in case". If they are anything like me at least :v:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Crystalgate posted:

Approximately a house's worth, so probably several thousand walnut breads.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Crystalgate posted:

The next HP boosting item. Old School type.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It was a Cloth Hat, but tragically Dad was a Tutorial Customer so he couldn't stop haggling and paid a million bucks for it.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
The little girl have a low budget sure, but Louie himself also have such a below average budget. And there's also a companion with a lower budget than he is.

I get the feeling that you really hate Tear. I mean, it's understandable. Plus, trash talking her is fun.

Ah, the memetic cuteness stealing thief is here. Waaaaay before the Phantom Thieves from Persona 5 exists.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It is I, the cuteness thief. Don't worry, I certainly mean you no harm!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Blaziken386 posted:

Everything else there is correct, but it's not that customers will only pick something that matches their budget, it's that their budget isn't calculated at all when it comes to items on the shelves. I've had housewives come in and ask for my <<+5 Sword of Demon Smiting>>, and gladly pay the cost, and then the next day turn up their nose at me for the sheer gall of breaking their budget by offering them a moderately priced <<Bowl of Pot Roast>>.

It was a different housewife. There's like three copies of each generic NPC out there and their wallets all level up separately.

So here's the mechanic that's a big sticking point for a lot of people. Nobody will take an item off your shelves that they can't afford. However, when they come to the counter and ask for a generic category of item, they'll recognize that you matched their category, but have nothing to say about whether or not they brought enough cash.

And unless you've haggled extensively enough to recognize all of each NPC's "that price is too high" messages, you can't tell it apart from the "I don't have that much money" message. Because, I mean, "I don't have that much money" is kind of a polite way to say "that price is too high".

So you can corner yourself into an impossible offer that you can't get out of and can't diagnose, especially if you don't grab any penny-ante items of the common classes - and why would you, what profit is there?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Glazius posted:

It was a different housewife. There's like three copies of each generic NPC out there and their wallets all level up separately.
:wtc:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

I get the feeling that you really hate Tear. I mean, it's understandable. Plus, trash talking her is fun.

Mostly for the fun, but also because Tear is kind of a lovely person in the early game and I'm the only one who's going to call her on it, because Recette sure as hell won't.

Glazius posted:

Oh my God you're actually serious about that. I knew there were three versions of each generic NPC, but I didn't realize they had separate budgets that leveled up independently. I love this game to death, but that is absolute bullshit right there.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

inflatablefish posted:

How old is Louie supposed to be, anyway? All anime protagonists look like kids, so I'm assuming he's like 12 or something.

So far, these are kids, let's assume such, and maybe truthkeeper will ease up on the creepy comments a little.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Truthkeeper posted:

Oh my God you're actually serious about that. I knew there were three versions of each generic NPC, but I didn't realize they had separate budgets that leveled up independently. I love this game to death, but that is absolute bullshit right there.

Well, yeah. Why did you think the little girls puttered along for a week or so and then suddenly you got two-three hearts in a row?

It's really not a big deal as long as you don't take a request to look in the backroom as an opportunity to swing for the fences and clear $ALL,THE.MONEY instead of setting up a nice easy tap-in with a wooly hat or piece of candy to level up the wallet for next time.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Drakenel posted:

So far, these are kids, let's assume such, and maybe truthkeeper will ease up on the creepy comments a little.

Recette is certainly a kid. Louie, to the best of my ability to tell, seems to be an adult.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think it was mentioned somewhere that as the typical JRPG protagonist, Louie's a teenager and not much older than Recette.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think that is a yet-to-be-revealed adventurer with an attitude.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Drakenel posted:

It's a 2010-style LP of a 2010 game. You just don't get the levels of irony involved.

(But seriously, please cut that out)

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
There will be events later that, while they don't prove that Louie is an adult with real life logic, strongly suggest the writer intended for him to be an adult. We haven't seen any of those yet though, but there is a reason Truthkeeper assumes he is an adult.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

My assumed ages for the characters was:
Reccette: 12
Louie: 16
Tear: Faerie equivalent of early 20s?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Crystalgate posted:

There will be events later that, while they don't prove that Louie is an adult with real life logic, strongly suggest the writer intended for him to be an adult. We haven't seen any of those yet though, but there is a reason Truthkeeper assumes he is an adult.

Ah, so he does adult things like running his own store, making contacts with merchants and wholesalers, being responsible for substantial debts... gotcha.
(I'll admit that I'm a bit of a fan of the whole aww-aren't-they-cute shipping of kid characters.)

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I like Tear! This is a business game and she is a businessfairy. It's not her fault she's trapped in an anime game with thick-headed anime characters.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

ChrisBTY posted:

Ah yes, the Goho-M.

Reminds me of the time it took me 4 Disgaea games to get 'Mr. Gency Exit'

I'm on the edge of my seat, man, don't leave me out of the loop!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

John Lee posted:

I'm on the edge of my seat, man, don't leave me out of the loop!

[E]mergency Exit

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

MechaCrash posted:

Louie is the only character that uses swords, but he's not the only one who swings in an arc. There's another character much later who swings in an arc, and the swings are fast, but the range on those swings is pretty small.

Indeed...said character's arc is almost 360 degrees. It's actually kind of insane.

edit - though I just realized you might have been talking about a different character because I remembered there's another character with a fairly wide arc attack as well.. Most people don't realize the one I'm thinking about has such a wide arc.

mauman fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 21, 2018

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Onmi posted:

[E]mergency Exit

It also kinda works if you pronounce the "Mr." as "Em-Ar" (admittedly, the "R" is a bit of a stretch, but still)!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I have gotten all the possible adventurers' cards, tediously, largely through having the wiki open so I can check what the pin price for each possible customer is likely to be. I like the game! I like Tear! I really like [the character whose adventurer card you acquire last]!

And I also really enjoy that the reasons customers have for buying an item are randomized totally separately from the random choice of item...

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 22, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

zonohedron posted:

I have gotten all the possible adventurers' cards, tediously, largely through having the wiki open so I can check what the pin price for each possible customer is likely to be. I like the game! I like Tear! I really like [the character whose adventurer card you acquire last]!

And I also really enjoy that the reasons customers have for buying an item are randomized totally separately from the random choice of item...

It is a more family friendly fare compared to the stuff that NPCs in Elona ask for. Less spoilers, too.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

zonohedron posted:

"I need to sell my prized heirloom ham sandwich" is still the funniest loving part of this whole game

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Blaziken386 posted:

"I need to sell my prized heirloom ham sandwich" is still the funniest loving part of this whole game

"It's been in my family for generations!"

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Blaziken386 posted:

Nah, my vote is for the housewife bringing along a schoolgirl uniform and saying "I found this in my husband's wardrobe. How. Much."

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

CommissarMega posted:

Nah, my vote is for the housewife bringing along a schoolgirl uniform and saying "I found this in my husband's wardrobe. How. Much."

Which reminds me of a demotivator I saw for this game. Same housewife picking up a club "for her husband".

DOMESTIC ABUSE HO!!!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

zonohedron posted:

uh spoilers???

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Gharbad the Weak posted:

uh spoilers???

Eh, it's really not that much of one. Most people won't know any context behind the item in question.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I... really didn't think there were any spoilers in that image - that's why I didn't pick one with one of the adventurers we haven't met, for example. I'll find a better one!

[edit: edited in a better image, realized it had spoilers, edited it out. I think I'll just wait.]

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 22, 2018

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Schoolgirls buying +100 swords of slaying for their parents will never not crack me up.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

T-man posted:

Schoolgirls buying +100 swords of slaying for their parents will never not crack me up.

Not their fault their parents are better adventurers than Recette's :v:

:smith:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Ahahahaha :xd:
fun fact: in my last run, the only people who wanted to buy the schoolgirl uniform were Louie and [unseen yet male adventurer] (Caillou). Which is both hilarious - because now I can't not imagine them crossdressing - and the perfect example of how damned frustrating it can be to get characters to buy the equipment you set out specifically for them, only for them to pick out something completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I was not being serious.