Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I have gotten all the possible adventurers' cards, tediously, largely through having the wiki open so I can check what the pin price for each possible customer is likely to be. I like the game! I like Tear! I really like [the character whose adventurer card you acquire last]!

And I also really enjoy that the reasons customers have for buying an item are randomized totally separately from the random choice of item...

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I... really didn't think there were any spoilers in that image - that's why I didn't pick one with one of the adventurers we haven't met, for example. I'll find a better one!

[edit: edited in a better image, realized it had spoilers, edited it out. I think I'll just wait.]

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 22, 2018

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Zedd posted:

Regarding the character you dislike most I'm not sure if you imply Alouette or Euria, they both got under my skin for different reasons. :v:

The first one is great! She'll buy things at ridiculously high prices because she doesn't know any better! The second one is infuriating because she causes me to break a chain of successful sales, every single time. (And you, too; I can't imagine the second one doesn't do that to you.)

Now that we've seen "customers wanting things", here's a "reasons for buying" and "item requested" that I particularly like:

(there is a game mechanic being displayed in the screenshot that we have not seen yet, ooooooo)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I dunno, I'm always concerned that an adventurer will buy something technically better, but not what I want them to use, and lose the thing I sold them, so I typically bring everything with me. Not a great use of inventory space, but it makes me feel better.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

There's basically four kinds of kinds-of-things people want: a category of thing ("weapon" or "food"), a description ("metal", "sweet", "warm"), plain/fancy/holy/sinister (something that moves the atmosphere of the shop towards plain/gaudy/light/dark, respectively), annnnnnd then there's "something rare" and "home decoration" which are infuriating and I invariably have to look up on the wiki.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

mauman posted:

ehhhh....yes and no. I'd say more but I don't really want to go into details.

The boss battle where (spoiler) kidnaps (spoiler) and Recette has to (spoiler) can be beaten without fusion items, I think sums up what you'd want to say?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Truthkeeper posted:

Pretty much the secondary tagline of the game right here. Pretty much the only reason I like Alouette more than Caillou is because she at least drops bundles of cash every time she walks in, and would drop even more if I tried to bleed her instead of grinding pin bonuses.

And yet, we've thus far avoided the worst character in the game showing up.

I don't remember who you think the worst character is. Is it Ms. "Ha ha I have the prices of everything memorized and I want to buy it at 0% markup" or Ms. "Hi, do you want to waste money or make a customer sad? Pick one!!!"?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

mauman posted:

Just a friendly reminder and a nice tip to any newbies. If you know you're not going to make your goal, SPEND EVERYTHING.

All stock goes back with you even though money doesn't.

So does customer opinion of you (go back with you, that is): if you know you're not going to make your goal, being nice to Ms. "if you don't spend too much money on a thing you'll lose your happy-customer streak" and Ms. "look I could buy this exact same thing from the Guildmaster you know" is more worth it than usual.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Blaziken386 posted:

Okay, I've never seen this scene because my dungeon RNG is terrible and I never have the items, but that's adorable. :allears:
Assuming this goes into NG+2, my vote's gonna be for Caillou just for that.

I reinstalled the game and of course had to start over because my saves were all gone (on a long-deceased hard drive, no less), and in my first game, I got all the ingredients before I was high enough merchant level for Caillou to show up. (My 7-year-old keeps calling him Chloe and saying it's because Caillou isn't a name.)

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

JustPassingBy posted:

Also, Fur Balls. I grinded for them before a patch cut the highest required amount by over half (which is still a pain!) and the mental scars will never fade away.

When there's an announcement that girls want fur balls for divination, I suggest they hire their own adventurers and trudge through dungeons all by their-own-selves, yes. Really, think of "whoa, I never managed to have all of Caillou's stuff before he showed up the first time!" and multiply it by ten thousand, in terms of completing the encyclopedia. I guess if it were the only video game I could play for the rest of my life I might complete it, but then again I might invent a way to play Pokemon with coconuts and seashells instead.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

nielsm posted:

Or even let you put up "items wanted" posters in your shop, e.g. replace a counter with a noticeboard.

That would be amazing, especially when an adventurer you hadn't used at all pops up with a bucket of earth crystals like they're chestnuts.

Edit: when getting ready for the next loop, I managed to see a brand new stamp at the end of the day! Recette did not get Exceeded Expectations or Well Done...

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 6, 2019

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The RNG really hates me. I mean, I don't think it hates me specifically, I think it hates everyone, but I decided to do the entirety of the Jade Way at a time to try to get fur balls. I got two fur balls, a slime liver, a bat wing, and four charred lizards. If there were a cheat code for 99 fur balls I would enter it without shame, even if it meant the Guildmaster called me CHEAT instead of Recette for the rest of the game.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I discovered a really interesting bug: if you do new-game-plus from a save set at Evening, you start out at Morning rather than Noon, and thus can't, on Day 2 (i.e. your first day), go to the adventurer's guild twice. Opening that save, advancing the time to Night (by going out of the shop, into somewhere else, and then back in), saving, and then using that save for new-game-plus, results in starting at Morning. (I am not at the moment interested in seeing what happens if your save is Morning or Noon.)

Edit: I had it happen at Night, too, because my save was from out of the store. I am no longer sure what causes it.

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 21, 2019

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Today I learned that you can find Nagi in a dungeon while already accompanied by Nagi.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I already knew you could do Louie's qualifying-trip-through-the-Hall-of-Trials as another adventurer, and you can get not-robbed by Charme as Charme, but I actually wasn't sure if it would let me find Nagi as Nagi. I suppose expecting the game to check that you weren't there with Nagi was too much to ask.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Speaking of dungeon events, my 7-year-old came running up to me in the middle of his computer time to tell me that Alouette had stolen all his items. I am genuinely unsure whether this happened and it's an event I forgot, or he's telling a story about Recettear. Any help?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Random_Username posted:

crystals of all colors.

The red crystals (and slime livers) are my current white whales; I need 10 of the latter for a fusion and I keep getting the crownéd slime's rare drop instead, and obviously Red Knights are stingy little monsters who practically never even drop a jar of toothpicks. :sigh:

quote:

It's the same as any game with a superboss that drops your ultimate weapon; if you can beat it anyway, then you didn't need it.
Same problem with the super-food (and no, not the housewives with their diets revolving around Shark Fins); you're never going to have enough that you'll feel like using them, even against post-game-content bosses.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Truthkeeper posted:

Maybe just leveling up Elan and hoping he'll buy some equipment, maybe some actual game progress

If by 'equipment' you mean 'buying books with his lunch money', we're right on track already!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I was pretty fond of "Elan dashes into a chest. Chest opens and Elan falls on his face, because that's how Elan ends dashes when he hits something. Chest is a teleport trap. Teleport trap drops Elan directly on the next-level teleporter. Elan gets up and dashes into a ghost. Ghost gets knocked back and Elan falls on his face (see above), but he falls on his face in the next hallway over, which has a rock trap, which drops rocks before Elan gets back up." which is what prompted me to say "so no poo poo, there I was, right, with the little girl and her fairy in their protective bubble, and I ran into a ghost, fell on my face, had rocks land on the back of my head, and then the ghost set my hair on fire" in the stream chat :v:

And, editing so as not to triple-post, I have discovered why Louie can't pay his bar tab:

...Louie why are you stocking your bachelor hovel with treasures stop it

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Are you implying that you aren't going to go out tomorrow night in your little boat to fish up the update from the sea?