Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Truthkeeper posted:

As one person on the Steam forums put it:

One of the best parts of this game is how many image macros of Cutthroat Capitalist Recette it inspired.

Also it took entirely too long for me to realize that Tear isn't as big as her portrait implies she is and that she is, in fact, fairy-sized as expected.

Omobono posted:

Bigger budget is an understatement.
One of the most hated customers is the grade school little girl, because she has an allowance of like 100 pix and she will try to buy the 10k pix sword she can't afford and thus break your combo.
Level her up and she'll buy a 100k gold chalice as a gift to grandpa on her allowance. Actually buy, with actual cash flowing into Recette's coffers.

Yeah the little girl is the newcomer's undeserved rage target, borne from Tear completely misrepresenting how you're supposed to actually play this game.

The REAL legitimate target of everyone's ire, on the other hand, also happens to be a girl, except not little and certainly not cute and innocent. :argh: :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The thing is that Tear's advice is perfectly sound if the goal is to maximize your monetary return on every transaction, which intuitively is what you want to do in order to be able to grow your business enough to cover the continually rising debt payments. It's just at odds with the true progression system of this game which emphasizes customer relations and satisfaction above all else, and this disconnect is so awkward and yet calculated that I still don't know if it was intentionally designed this way.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Your Everyday NEET posted:

I'm guessing Louie is the only character that attacks in an arc?

Couldnyou just save scum should you got wiped out in a dungeon? Save before adventuring and load the save if you got KOed.

I mean you could.

But dungeon trips, especially later on, are not particularly quick or painless.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

I think it's a reference to the Mana Khemia games? They're known for having many, many different audio clips of the word "barrel".

It's actually a running gag in all the Atelier games as far as I know and yeah, given the localization team I'm pretty sure that's a nod to that particular series.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Wayne posted:

Kind of a shame the merchant mechanics are at complete cross purposes to the story (cutting Louie a break because he's broke in the plot not only leaves money on the table, it can keep you from getting those Pin bonuses)!

That's capitalism, no time for morals or sympathy when there's cold hard cash to be made :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hey don't undersell Recette's living arrangements, that image clearly shows TWO boxes to her name, she's practically living a life of luxury.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So I forget, is there a threshold where Prime will always buy or does she just randomly piss off regardless?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Selling items at cost???

You capitalists should be ashamed of yourselves. Do you want the anime communists to win? :redhammer:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

zonohedron posted:

I don't remember who you think the worst character is. Is it Ms. "Ha ha I have the prices of everything memorized and I want to buy it at 0% markup" or Ms. "Hi, do you want to waste money or make a customer sad? Pick one!!!"?

The first is merely annoying, the second is :argh: incarnate.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

An update so good I can read it twice! :v:

(But no really, you copy pasted twice by accident it seems)

I always forget Elan is a thing in this game, probably because he seems wholly unremarkable.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Demons strike terror into humanity and fairies alike, rumored to have evil, mind-bending powers, but apparently they also require corrective lenses for bad eyesight.

Come to think of it, Tear wears glasses too. How exactly do you manufacture glasses for a humanoid creature the size of your hand? Is this just something glasses makers are supposed to become skilled at or is there an entire specialized industry dedicated to corrective lenses for fairies? Is this maybe something Recette can get her hands into instead of retail?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Everyone knows the most important goal in business is to expand, expand, expand.

Let's recruit our up and coming regional overseer Tielle for that purpose.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I think it's that A) we've seen Charme around for almost as long as we've seen Louie so she doesn't have that newness factor, and B) Everyone who played the game used Charme once or twice, failed miserably cause she has a steep learning curve, and then never touched her again. The other characters have their strengths and weaknesses but also have a much more obvious gameplan to adjust to.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My two twin brothers Super May Jann and Nnam Yaj Repus are having internet issues and would like me to put forth two votes for Tielle on their behalf.

Also, EURIAAAAAAAAA :argh: :argh: :argh:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Recette has clearly gotten her hand on some forbidden dark magic that allows her to erase everyone's memories of her and her shop, allowing her to liquidate all of her assets and launder them into her overseas stock and investment accounts so she can maintain the goodwill and free business being a small independent "upstart" affords her while keeping any prying eyes, Terme Finance or otherwise, directed away from her growing portfolio.

Naturally, she'll have to keep up the facade of paying off what is now a sham loan to keep Terme and Tear from getting suspicious. Fortunately, those conveniently "blank" ledgers Tear keeps finding will provide the perfect cover for Recettear's suspicious lack of a paper trail.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I'm kind of interested to at least see you attempt to finish the encyclopedia considering how much of an absolute slog people say it is with many of the late-game things you have to get. I never did get far enough for high-level fusions in my game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Random_Username posted:

Yeah...I don't think you get it. Most games, 100% completion is just a couple extra sidequests or dungeons or a newgame plus. This is hours upon hours of rare drops from difficult bosses, enemies that only appear in certain portions of certain dungeons, random rare drops from treasure chests (half of which are trapped and contain nothing), and randomly sold to you by customers (Euria having her own list of exclusive and expensive sold items).

It is all caps NOT FUN.

Well it just sounds to me like you're all just not trying hard enough :colbert:

Recette and Tear would be disappointed at your lack of exploitation of business opportunities.

For real though, I totally understand not wanting to deal with all that crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I miss 8-Bit Theater

I'd certainly take Black Mage over Caillou any day.