Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ooh, glad there's another attempt at this one. It's a rather charming game.

Agreed on the tutorial being really bad. Excessive haggling is why certain customers are hated more than they really should be and why several players will ram into the game over screen early on. Possibly repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Night10194 posted:

If I remember right, hitting sales prices people see as reasonable also levels up the customer, which eventually leads to them having a bigger budget.

I really wish there was ever an incentive to actually haggle. A lot of the management is really fun and the game is charming as all heck but the actual negotiation is so absurdly weighted towards never haggling that it's just nuts.

You're correct, and it makes certain customer types a lot less of an eyesore when they can actually afford the expensive stuff you're bothering to put out instead of begging you to lower the prices or never even bothering to even attempt to buy the merchandise in the first place. The only possible use for haggling is if you're desperate to meet the deadline. It's an uncommon scenario, but situations like that very won't likely happen if you have a good relationship with the customers in the first place. Or I suppose haggling could be used to gett more money in general, but Pix honestly isn't that important to have outside of the game's main objective.

Seriously, Tear's tutorial just makes the game more aggravating than it needs to be. I suppose you could argue that it's in character for her, but the game never mentions all the mechanics with regards to customer relationships and such. It's a very big thing to be leaving out.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 9, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

MIght've been just the cutscene skip option working for them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You can ignore the dungeons entirely after the tutorial. They help in getting some more valuable stock for you shop, but it's not necessary to go through them at all.

With that said, if you ignore Tear's horrible tutorial, manage your time efficiently, and make as much progress as you can through the dungeons, you can complete all the plot that revolves around them long before you have to pay off the remainder of the debt in the final week, while being able to pay off the entire debt easily.

Also they're the other big reason why Tear's advice is so horrible. Increasing your merchant level also gives you some really good perks while you're dungeoneering. Haggling not only makes the shop harder to manage, it'll also make dungeon treks a bigger pain since you won't be able to carry as much loot, or identify most of the monster drops. (Also the drop rates from monsters suck in this game. Apparently they range from like 1% to 5%, with 5% being the rate for the more common drops.) :argh:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 13, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

quote:

Even if an adventurer must… “retreat” while in a dungeon, the equipment is not lost, since it is in their possession. So selling better equipment to our adventuring friends is a good idea… even if you must undersell to them a little. Accessories work the same way, so think carefully about who you sell what to, and what effect it may have on their performance.

The rare and mythical good advice from Tear.

Inventory space is at a premium during dungeon treks, so every little bit helps. It can be worth undercutting prices just to get some good equipment on someone (Or driving someone away if they try to go for a downgrade) unless it'll cost you with the debt.