Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Oh man, I'm late to the party but I'm so glad to see an LP that knows how this game actually works. They should completely redo the tutorial and include just/near pin and customer loyalty and throw haggling out the window.

It's been too long now (though I am reinstalling as we speak), but I'm pretty sure I gave each character a fair shake. Don't remember much about Elan, so that'll be the vote.

Ironically, I actually ended up designing my store for Euria. In fact, I would reload if she somehow she didn't show up.

I was going for the 100%, which, while I got bored and didn't end up doing, was greatly helped by actually leveling Euria so she brings in unique treasure. The endless mode sadly doesn't feature a Scrooge McDuck style money vault to swim in, so there's no point to all your pix except to spend it on Euria, and food for the dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Reinstalled the game. Already on the fourth NG+, having done Louie, Caillou, Charme, and working on Tielle. Remembered what I liked about the game, and remembered why I quit. The encyclopedia, especially the later fusions are really just shy of impossible. I'll stick with it though, see how far I get.

For the complete lack of votes Charme got, she's actually the most reliable workhorse for dungeon clearing. Won't mention too much if you're planning on doing all characters, but her speed is just so convenient, and while she doesn't have a ton of skills, one is good for escapes and another I spammed for bosses.

Speed is especially important since a lot of fusions require rare treasures dropped from a treasure chest. Not only can Charme dash to the chest the fastest, she immediately knows if it's trapped. When trying to grind for these random items, you have to hit every chest on the map as fast as you can and she's the best bet. Even rank 2 fusions are better than anything store-bought, so getting them online faster can save A LOT of hassle.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

mauman posted:

I like Charme, and she was my main my first time through (back when her mirage skill was WAY better), but she has severe limitations unless you have the reflexes of a Golden God.....which at least I don't.

To be fair, I'm not at endgame yet since I'm grinding through the true cards and it's been too long for me to remember my old run. I definitely used Charme a lot, but it may have been familiarity or ease of use? I don't doubt she's not good enough defensively for the final dungeons, but I'm pretty sure I ran her anyway (probably died a lot too). One thing that immediately throws me off is how she's the only (?) character who can dash and move in any direction, which always make the other ones feel clunky to me.

I just wanted to give her some credit, since the votes didn't. I didn't have any problems running her through any ng+ dungeons and I enjoy her speed even if it's a little too fast sometimes. Might've overstated her, but I'd be surprised if she doesn't end up as many peoples' main, especially on a first run. Decent options and speed make her a breath of fresh air after being stuck with Louie initially.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm kind of interested to at least see you attempt to finish the encyclopedia considering how much of an absolute slog people say it is with many of the late-game things you have to get. I never did get far enough for high-level fusions in my game.

Yeah...I don't think you get it. Most games, 100% completion is just a couple extra sidequests or dungeons or a newgame plus. This is hours upon hours of rare drops from difficult bosses, enemies that only appear in certain portions of certain dungeons, random rare drops from treasure chests (half of which are trapped and contain nothing), and randomly sold to you by customers (Euria having her own list of exclusive and expensive sold items).

It is all caps NOT FUN.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

I really, really wish there was an post-game shop that sold some of the dungeon items. Make them ludicrous prices for all I care!! Make them not have any bonuses!! Just don't make me trudge through the same 10 floors over and over and over again for loving earth crystals!!!!!!!!!!

The irony is that even this probably wouldn't be enough for 100%, since I imagine you would have to have seen the item before asking for it, and there's a whole bunch of items so rare you'll probably only ever see one.

It's a genuine shame more stuff never came out of Recettear. Would've been down for some DLC or a sequel or something. Moonlighter does not hit the same itch, unfortunately.

Talking about potential changes to make the game better, I was kinda sad how simple the normal buying/selling becomes after a NG+ or two. Not only will you have so much money/items, if you've at all figured out near/exact pins then everyone can afford all conventional goods. Could've killed two birds with one stone if you offered some rare items as prizes for survival mode, or maybe you do like a puzzle mode where it's one day but you have to make the most money so haggling is actually worth it.

Sadly, much like in real life, automation wins the day. Most of my endgame store layout is vending machines.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Kemix posted:

It also doesn’t help that 90% of the fusions are not worth it from a profit standpoint, an equipment standpoint, or both. Recettear is definitely one of those games you break the wiki out for in certain situations. Or savescum endlessly, whichever one works.

The worst part is that the dungeon loot is designed just right that you probably wouldn't savescum. Trying to get slime liver really early for Caillou? Sure, reset until you get it, it's the first boss. But what if you're grinding Boss X who is halfway through a boss rush? Oh he didn't drop anything? Well sure, but you did get some slime liver and charred lizard, so I guess you might as well finish the run and cash those out.

It's the same reason you don't just ragequit when you die in the super dungeons: You can still bring back 1-3 items. Recettear makes you live with your shame.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

*provided your adventurer actually buys the upgrades and those free slots aren't for holding the +1 Sword of Asskicking and Armor That Isn't Made of Cardboard

The real save scumming happens in the shop.

Stop loving selling me walnut bread Louie and buy the goddamn sword.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Since we're talking characters anyway, anyone have some tips for Tielle?

I'm trying to get a feel for everyone by running them through dungeons and boss rushes, but Tielle keeps eating hits while doing Obsidian Tower boss rush. I feel like I can't get enough damage out, since she has to charge. Cuterage helps a bit, but some bosses have a lot on screen. Starshot arrow is the only thing I've found to have enough invincibility frames to dodge attacks, specifically Griff's homing fire attack which was consistently hitting and killing me until I figured that out.

I dunno. Her equipment is fine for where she's at. Rank 2 +15 bow and best of the store bought goods. She's just not fast enough for me? She can't dash, and she can't attack immediately, and there's just enough off that it's bugging me...

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Getting pretty tempted by some of these cheats...

Just had a NG+ and a customer walks in asking me to buy a treasure I've never seen before. It's incidentally also a treasure valued at 800,000.

I had 2400 pix.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

zonohedron posted:

Speaking of dungeon events, my 7-year-old came running up to me in the middle of his computer time to tell me that Alouette had stolen all his items. I am genuinely unsure whether this happened and it's an event I forgot, or he's telling a story about Recettear. Any help?

Definitely not. You can find her and a group of generic adventurers (they look like a young man from the store). Maybe your kid died to something else while next to her group and thought she did it?

Also, shamelessly bumping in hopes of an update. Haven't played in a bit, but just need Elan and Nagi cards before moving on to endless. Have a bunch of the late game reagents grinded up already: ghost tears, soft stones, crystals of all colors. Of course, all that is a pile of nothing without the random drops...

I genuinely wonder why they leaned in so hard on the RNG. The post-game dungeons are a real pain, but are doable as long as you have decent gear and know your mechanics (Upping your health and bringing tons of food is smart too), but they're the ones that drop the ingredients. It's the same as any game with a superboss that drops your ultimate weapon; if you can beat it anyway, then you didn't need it.