Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Seriously, Tear's tutorial just makes the game more aggravating than it needs to be. I suppose you could argue that it's in character for her, but the game never mentions all the mechanics with regards to customer relationships and such. It's a very big thing to be leaving out.

These are two of the game's major flaws. The tutorials are very long and very wrong. If Tear spent three tries (and a lot of words) teaching you about the very important Pin system, or at least about chain bonuses, it wouldn't be so bad, but she teaches you the same wrong lesson repeatedly. And you can't skip the tutorial at all. At least on the bright side is that when you fail from her lovely advice, you can skip the tutorials, and you get to keep your inventory and level (if not your money).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Tear has no real incentive to help you. Terme gets paid either way.

But if you do well, Terme gets their money back over time. If you gently caress up, they get whatever you already paid, plus the house, and they get it right away.

There's no conflict of interest here, right? :thunk:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The hat thing is, I suspect, a reference to the beginning of Gundam SEED, in which the character Cagalli wore a hat much like the one there and was mistaken for a boy (the joke being that her Japanese actress tends to voice boys a lot).

The door is indeed a Persona reference, but it's something that was changed in localization. The original was an Anywhere Door, a Doraemon reference. It was changed because expecting the kind of English-speaking nerd who'd buy this game to catch a Doraemon reference was a hell of a longshot, but Persona was doable.

When you loan an adventurer a piece of gear, the gear that they actually own will be kept in your bag, mostly as a game balance thing (you want to loan Louie your Vorpal Sword of Face-Wrecking to use instead of the rusty piece of poo poo he normally carries, there's going to be an opportunity cost), but it's a bit odd that there isn't a locker or anything at the Adventurer's Guild.

They will permanently equip and use equipment that they buy, and there's systems coming up that make that a little less of a pain in the rear end, but I have on several occasions put out a piece of nice gear for an adventurer buddy only for a completely different one to wander by and buy it. It's worse when the game mistakenly thinks the gear is an upgrade when it really, really isn't. At that point, you have to choose between "this idiot downgrades their gear" or "break my selling chain."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The fact that their old gear takes up space in your bag is why getting them to equip the good stuff on a permanent basis is so nice, and why I wish I had a "IT'S A loving PRESENT JUST TAKE IT" button.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Truthkeeper posted:

Yep. Each adventurer is limited to one kind of weapon, with swords being Louie's thing. There are characters who have much better range, some who are much faster, and some who can rain death from the sky, swinging in an arc is really all he's got.

Louie is the only character that uses swords, but he's not the only one who swings in an arc. There's another character much later who swings in an arc, and the swings are fast, but the range on those swings is pretty small.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I like to think that the reason Louie keeps coming to Recettear is because he knows that you know he's broke but honest, and won't have security shadowing him constantly while he's in the store. And you might even swing him a friend discount! And hey, worst case, you helped him out in the dungeon, so he'll help you out in business!

As for keeping money on hand, keeping at least some cash so you can buy poo poo off customers is useful, otherwise your chain breaks when they come up to sell you that precious family heirloom ham sandwich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

It annoys me to no end that stat increases are in red and decreases in blue. Red=Bad, game. :argh:

I don't know why, but that's just how it goes in Japan. You get the same thing in Pokemon when looking at natures, too: the stat being boosted is red, the one being reduced is blue.