Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

MechaCrash posted:

Louie is the only character that uses swords, but he's not the only one who swings in an arc. There's another character much later who swings in an arc, and the swings are fast, but the range on those swings is pretty small.

Indeed...said character's arc is almost 360 degrees. It's actually kind of insane.

edit - though I just realized you might have been talking about a different character because I remembered there's another character with a fairly wide arc attack as well.. Most people don't realize the one I'm thinking about has such a wide arc.

mauman fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Nah, my vote is for the housewife bringing along a schoolgirl uniform and saying "I found this in my husband's wardrobe. How. Much."

Which reminds me of a demotivator I saw for this game. Same housewife picking up a club "for her husband".

DOMESTIC ABUSE HO!!!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

quick note - just because he's in a Tavern and drinking doesn't mean he's an adult as we might define "adult" in this day and age.

Olden days there wasn't a "drinking age", there was a "time you could reach the table age". Partially because nobody cared, and partially because the beer was cleaner than the water at times and as such was safer to drink. Hell, in certain parts of the world, that still holds true.

My rough guess is he's 16, maybe up to 18 (but I really think not), possibly as young as 15...that would be MORE than "adult" age in a place that is modeled off of Olden France. Course as this is Olden AnimeNotFrance there's some serious anachronistic shenanigans going on, so who knows. He just doesn't LOOK like the other male adults in this game, nor does he look like the kids. Teen is a pretty good description for him by the looks of it.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 23, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Calilou's response is rather amusing if you have the items on hand when he first walks in.

and you get a HUGE bonus for it (like more than enough to cover the first payment by itself).

The amount degrades each day till it finally reaches a point it won't go below.

Also, Durians are stupid good in the right adventurer's hands. I can think of 3 that really benefit from them (which Louie is one of), 2 in particular (whom we haven't met yet). Otherwise the downside ain't worth it.

My main problem with Callilou (besides being as sturdy as a wet noodle in a paper bag) is how horribly SLOW he is.

Edit - oh and Louie is still free if you have zip for cash (or he'll take what he can if you have less than his normal fee). He's essentially the game's default pick if you can't take anybody else. A good way to play early on is spend all your dosh on items and then just adventure with louie till Sunday. Then sell all of that free stuff. You'll likely make ends meat by the end of Sunday. If you're willing to savescum a little (doesn't take much) you can even get Callilou's goodies before he shows up.

mauman fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 24, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Zedd posted:

Wrong portrait here. :)

Really enjoying the LP, especially since your experience so far was p much like mine. I understood Tear's advice sucked fairly early on, but I still kept investing too much in stock/plot and kept missing deadlines. :shepface:.
Regarding the character you dislike most I'm not sure if you imply Alouette or Euria, they both got under my skin for different reasons. :v:

How the hell could you hate Alouette. She singlehandedly saved my game on the 2nd week my first time. As for her personality, I saw through it immediately so she was more amusing than annoying to me.

It's probably Euria. That character can die in a fire....slowly.

Truthkeeper posted:

Caillou's really only good for boss rushes, but he's damned good for them.

I don't think he's the best for boss rushes anymore...which makes him worthless in my book. I'm looking forward about future discussions about characters. One in particular that most don't like (for good reason), but when I forced myself to play said character I realized made about 90% of the game a joke and the last bit still very manageable. :spergin:

Besides, to get him up to snuff for those boss rushes you have to level him properly for it to begin with....which is (from personal experience) not really fun. He's probably my least favorite character now.

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 24, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Caillou certainly looks young enough to be a child. Does the guild even care about age when they hire people to do dangerous stuff or does results matter more?

I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't deny somebody membership whom could literally light my rear end on fire with a wave of stick.

Would you?

Cal's an rear end, but he DOES back up his talk with actual skill (even if I don't care for how he plays).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

mercenarynuker posted:

Eh, it's anime, everyone less than "matronly" or "patrician" looks like a kid

In this case, Cal actually IS a kid. Though he'd probably light you on fire if you said that to his face (or at least get annoyed) :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Unfortunately, I don't like any character that can potentially make me lose 10-30 minutes worth of progress if I make more than 2 mistakes. I felt like most character besides Louie can't take hits much.

There's two characters that are roughly at Louie's level of defense (one slightly lower, and the other slightly higher), and one that blows him out of the water when it comes to sheer "gently caress you, ain't dying".

Also, yeah you're going to have to accept selling WAY underprice for most adventurers if you want them to own the best of the best. Only a few of them can come close to having the proper amount. Incidentally, Cal is one of them. Louie is definitely not.

mauman fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 25, 2018

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Honestly, I've never really minded Prime.

So what if she's paying at 100%....you're still making a 30% profit (my experience she will always buy the product no questions asked for 100%).

It's not worth it to try to increase the amount even a little (therefor breaking your chain).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Super Jay Mann posted:

Selling items at cost???

You capitalists should be ashamed of yourselves. Do you want the anime communists to win? :redhammer:

oh don't worry my fellow capitalist pigdog brethren. She still pays a 30% markup. Now, excuse me as I go do other capitalist pigdog things with other capitalist pigdogs while drinking much vodka. Proshchay :downs:

Blaziken386 posted:

I mean, deliberately squeezing every possible penny out of your customers is in the spirit of the game, after all. Capitalism, ho!

though as thoroughly shown, the game will actively punish you for that since you need that xp. I'd actually argue that good salesmanship and customer knowledge is more in the spirit of capitalism than the squeezing of the lootz.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 11, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

While treasures don't always sell, the odd vase has always oddly been a seller for me.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Glazius posted:

Boss rushes are pretty good for hitting those rare drops, since even if you get whacked you don't have a lot to keep, do you?

Unless you brought your super gear with you....in that case you're still hosed :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

But then, in the post game, surprise surprise, fusion goes from "basically worthless novelty" to "if you want to beat the final dungeons, you're gonna sit here and grind, motherfucker." Because in this game about being a merchant, you can't buy half the weapons in the game. Every single weapon recipe is [rare item from chest] + [10 rare drops from a monster who only spawns on 5 floors]. You'll spend hours trying to get one of the post-game weapons, and not even one of the last post-game weapons. (Which are, generally, [crafted item] + [rare drop] + [rare drop]) It's more grindy than Disgaea, and that game is built around grinding! :argh:

ehhhh....yes and no. I'd say more but I don't really want to go into details.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

ohboyohboy, I think we're almost about to unlock my favorite adventurer.

Can't wait to :spergin: about it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Truthkeeper posted:

You are a terrible person, encouraging horrible abuse of underage laborers.

preeettty sure you're not thinking of the one I like to use.

It's Elan

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 26, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Truthkeeper posted:

Oh, in that case I just deride your taste in adventurers.

Trust me, I was shocked too when I figured out just how good said adventurer is. I completely understand why most people don't like him, because they never get over the initial issues he has.

I didn't use the guy for 4 full games before I tried him for real and realized how broken he his.

I'll get to why when you unlock him.

Cyouni posted:

Charme has always been my favourite, just because of her dash ability. The ability to rocket around and quickly shank things has always been invaluable to me.

Elan can do that, just need to practice turning. You're right, speed is important and playing non-dash characters drives me insane.

Blaziken386 posted:

My favorite adventurer is hands down Griff, but he's literally the second to last one you can recruit

You say this, but my first game I unlocked Griff before Nagi :downs:

Had some real bad luck there.

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 26, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Cyouni posted:

I think Charme's is better just because of the invul-frames - dashing away from an attack at the right time lets you take no damage, and combined with her skills, you can play keepaway from a lot of threats.

Charme's just really good at my favourite tactic of hit-and-run.

I like Charme too, she's just too much of a glass cannon though. Plus, her skills are very inefficient sp wise at higher levels where you need to constantly use said skills (particularly doppelganger).

Plus, I'll be honest about myself, I don't have the skill to do the parry thing.

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 27, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

just had a run of this game where I basically had a recession during the final week of debt collection. Clothes, armor, weapons, metal, precious items, etc. were all decreased in value, so I couldn't sell anything.

and then I forgot that bad end NG+ starts you off with $1,000, not however much you had left. I still had a decent amount of stock, but I lost $280,000, in addition to Recette's house. :negative:

Just a friendly reminder and a nice tip to any newbies. If you know you're not going to make your goal, SPEND EVERYTHING.

All stock goes back with you even though money doesn't.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Mycroft Holmes posted:

guilds, not trade unions. big difference.

oh yeah, big time.

Simply put, guilds are in place to better/protect the industry. Unions are in place to protect workers. It's way more complicated than that obviously, but it's confusing.

In Recette's place, being in a union would be worthless. The fact that she's in a guild is stupidly good for her.

mauman fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 19, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

TracerK posted:

Uh...

Also, out of the many hours I've wasted spent playing this game I've never actually seen Caillou in action.

And never plan to; Caillou can gently caress right off.

Good for bosses, slow as gently caress in dungeons (insufferably so, much like his personality). He does get something to help with getting around, but it's rng based, which is it's own big problem. Also, you need to lug around a ton of sp items, cuz you REALLY don't want to rely on his basic attack (which is bad....like really really bad even if it does give back some sp).

Problem is there are several other characters that are also good at bosses, but don't sacrifice everything else for that power.

That being said...the kid does have some hidden depths.

mauman fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 19, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Cyouni posted:

My personal summary of Caillou is that as long as you can keep his SP up and in range of enemies, he is the strongest attacker in the game.

He's completely reliant on his SP and slow, though, so...

I once would have agreed with this, now I don't. On the strongest attacker bit that is.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Truthkeeper posted:

Limited stock of melons at a base selling price just shy of 9k, and an infinite supply of durian at 8k.

???

I think you're getting your foods mixed up :downs:

Regardless, you're right. First time I played this game I won by selling a metric shitton of Melons and Monteblancs on a price hike PLUS a sweets boom.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I know I'm doomed to failure, but I'll hang with my best bud Elan.

Also, you're wrong (or at least in my opinion you're wrong) about the tanking bit about Elan vs Louie. In fact, he's better at tanking BECAUSE he wears light armor. Since Elan wears robes he has ultra high magic defense in addition to naturally high physical defense and high hp. So while Louie (and Nagi to a lesser degree) will get absolutely hosed by many of the more dangerous attacks later on in the game, Elan can shrug them off like it's nothing. In addition to his half damage berserk, we're talking about single digits/low-to-mid teens* from nearly every attack in the game till sometime near the end of Lapis Ruins. Also, he does have an attack arc. In fact he has a 360 degree arc. An enemy right behind him WILL get hit by his attacks. It's just kinda hard to notice due to his attack range and the fact it seems to be more of an ellipse than a circle. Though to be fair, his attack range is longer than most give him credit. It's slightly farther away than his fists would indicate. There's a flash of light that generates from his hits...that's his approximate range. Just slightly less than Charme's.

*assuming you keep him geared and actually use him in the dungeons (i.e. he's adequately leveled).

The secret to Elan is that berserk is stupid good. Double defense, double attack, and no knockback means you can just brute force the majority of the game. Just be smart about it's usage and the item issue is a non-issue. And it's so drat cheap in sp for how long it lasts means that the candy/chocolates you pick up in the dungeon will likely often be more than enough for your sp needs.

Plus he gets the best usage out of Durian fruits.

I dont know posted:

Elan would probably get my vote, an affable drunk pugilist is pretty great. But no one else seems to like him, and can't let the drat elf win.

:saddowns:

mauman fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 11, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Last Transmission posted:

Elan.

What I haven't seen anyone mention about him yet is that he can dash and if you run into an enemy with him it's the enemy who takes damage from the collision.

Derp...in my write-up I forgot to mention that. He's one of 3 fast characters so he doesn't drive me nuts to play due to slowness.

I dont know posted:

Changing my vote to Elan. I believe!

:downs:

Complications posted:

lol if Nagi wins I expect you'll probably just main the runner up and keep an eye out for the lost spearlady

Seriously though, don't actually put yourself through misery if misery option 'wins'

It's not hard to unlock her if you're willing to cheese a little.

Save game, enter trial dungeon with a fast character like charme. Run though there without fighting.

Find her? Save, and do it again till you find her 3 times.

Don't find her? Reload and try again.

It takes maybe a half-hour (hour if unlucky) to do. Less so if lucky.

Honestly, the misery option is Tielle. She's slow and then Truth will be subjected to TWO high pitched Japanese girls every other second. I like those characters and generally hate Calillou (who's also slow), but at least his voice doesn't want to make me rip off my ears.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 13, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Maybe I've just watched too much anime, but Recette and Tielle are both totally adorable :colbert: That said, my favourite animes are where big dudes punch other big dudes until someone explodes, so I'll vote for Elan.

Basically I want more of this (EDIT: warning, flashing lights):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WrRmqWWMY0

I'm not saying I don't like Recette and Tielle....I do in fact.

It's just something about their voices rubs me the wrong way after a while. There's only so many "DAI JOUBUS?!" and "NIIEIEEEEEEAAAAAHHH" I can take. One of those I can control at least. Also, like I said, Tielle is slow. Considering how BIG the levels get after a while.....ugh :suicide:

As for no sound? I'm weird, I'm very sound based. It's actually hard for me to play games without sound. In fact I'm so weird in this regard that I prefer good sound/music to graphics generally.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 13, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Ah yes....euria

<VaderNOOOOOO.gif enter here>

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

I thought shop size stayed the same? I don't remember getting kicked back down to a small shop, but maybe it doesn't in the bad end?

but since you keep inventory and merchant level, it's not hard to get your shop size back.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

mauman posted:

I know I'm doomed to failure, but I'll hang with my best bud Elan.

So....SO happy to be wrong.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Remember to give Elan lot's and lot's of steroids vitamins :v:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Random_Username posted:

Reinstalled the game. Already on the fourth NG+, having done Louie, Caillou, Charme, and working on Tielle. Remembered what I liked about the game, and remembered why I quit. The encyclopedia, especially the later fusions are really just shy of impossible. I'll stick with it though, see how far I get.

For the complete lack of votes Charme got, she's actually the most reliable workhorse for dungeon clearing. Won't mention too much if you're planning on doing all characters, but her speed is just so convenient, and while she doesn't have a ton of skills, one is good for escapes and another I spammed for bosses.

Speed is especially important since a lot of fusions require rare treasures dropped from a treasure chest. Not only can Charme dash to the chest the fastest, she immediately knows if it's trapped. When trying to grind for these random items, you have to hit every chest on the map as fast as you can and she's the best bet. Even rank 2 fusions are better than anything store-bought, so getting them online faster can save A LOT of hassle.

I disagree if only because she has the defense of a wet paper bag and the end-game dungeons monsters (where you do item grinding) will turn her to paste if you accidentally bump into them (and at her speed you likely will). There are two other characters nearly as fast as her getting around, their defenses are WAY better, and traps aren't that big of a deal to begin with. And as an extra slap in the face, those two characters have ways of mitigating damage when running into enemies.

I like Charme, and she was my main my first time through (back when her mirage skill was WAY better), but she has severe limitations unless you have the reflexes of a Golden God.....which at least I don't.

Also, pick the right character and you don't even have to do as much gear grinding to get your best gear, because the infinity -1 versions of gear that drop from boss rushes can be better for those characters than the infinity +1 versions....which require the infinity -1 versions and a shitton of grinding.

Charme is NOT one of those characters.

edit - the one exception I'll give is if you're grinding lower level dungeons where the monsters are a joke for something specific...like goldfish bowls or something.

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 5, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

JosephWongKS posted:

Elan is the one person in this game that has less money than Louie, so you do the math.

It's not that hard really. He'll still make orders like everybody else and when that happens you just give him the infinity +1 item for 1 pix.

If you mean ACTUALLY buy it though without orders and at normal prices....yeah nigh impossible.

But that's true for all but maybe one or two characters after a certain point. I think there's only one character (maybe 2?) who have the possible budget for the top-tier stuff. And most of them won't generally have the budget for even the next-to-top-tier stuff.

That being said, it's pretty easy to get him to come into the shop. Keep your place plain-ish and put some candy or something cheap in the front window.

This will incidentally also attract Tielle and keep out Euria. Sadly it will also keep out Alouette. Unless you consider that a bonus I suppose :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 6, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Equipping allies would be so much easier if they'd actually equip all items from multi-orders.

Elan - Hey, I need 3 pieces of armor

Me - :swoon: Take the infinity +1 robe, hat, and uh...whatever else

Elan - Sweet hat...<throws out the robe and other item>

Me - :saddowns:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Complications posted:

"Just ask for the fuckin' gear, you don't need any money I'll sell it for a pix, bring up the drat gear

WHY ARE YOU BUYING THAT"

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but a character won't EVER (or if they do it's really rare and I've never noticed it) bring something up for sale that they can't cover with their potential budget. This is why it's important to capitalize on orders.

Honestly, this is a good thing as it prevents you from having to deal with either losing profit or losing combos when you're just trying to meet the weekly loan repayment. It just happens to be annoying when you get the final stretch and you're trying to munchkin your adventurers.

Elan, Louie, and Tielle have the issues here the most. Tielle will grow out of it eventually (her max budget is surprisingly high, not high enough for end-tier stuff of course).

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

:negative:
why, developers

If it makes you feel any better (or worse :downs:), only Griff and Arma can get their budgets high enough for end game stuff. And that takes a lot of effort.

Calilou of all people comes REALLY close, but just misses the mark. He can afford quite a bit of ulitmate gear, but not his weapon. Everybody else is nowhere near the amount needed, not even Charme, who being a thief you'd think would have a lot of money, but NOPE.

Also, I never understood why people think Elan is poorer than Louie. They have the exact same min and max budget. I can only assume it's because people get Elan later and by that time Louie's customer level has likely gone up a bit.

Finally, take the words "surprisingly high" with a grain of salt when I described Tielle's budget. She's still on the low side, just barely better than Elan/Louie.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

People dunk on sprite comics alot...including 8-bit theater...

and while I will agree that most sprite comics are poo poo, I unironically loved 8-bit T.

If that means I have bad taste, then so be it....everybody is allowed to have bad taste once in a while.