Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

As long as I can make a preset that maxes saturation and clarity then it’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Ok so weird question. Is there any program/app specifically to improve lovely, snapshot phone pictures done by people who put no thought into photography? I’m not looking for perfection by any means but my experience with editing is on my own stuff, where I actually think about the process, don’t use a direct flash, shoot raw and am refining, not trying to save bad photos (they are all bad of course would be the response to that).

The composition doesn’t matter or any of the things we would normally be thinking about in terms of a good image - I have started painting pet portraits and I have one now where the dog passed away and it is a surprise for the client’s son so my available photos for reference are lit like poo poo (direct flash on a black dog) and lacking detail. I would never ask this in terms of pure photography since there’s no saving or making a good photo out of something like this, but since it’s a painting I can change whatever I want and just would like a better starting point from the photo - I didn’t know if there was some program that specializes in telling people that they can be terrible photographers and have better looking images through some sort of computational magic. I already expect to save what I can in Capture One (for pet portraits I already do this if I am working off of photo reference) so things like white balance, sharpness, color balance, levels etc. I will handle and just am curious if the whole computational photo thing has gotten to a point where anything can do this.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Fools Infinite posted:

Topaz labs makes ai upscaling, sharpening, and jpg to raw tools.

But if it is for a painting just find a better reference image from another source. Using a different image for lighting or fine detail when the original source material doesn't have what you need isn't unusual. And if it is worth the effort do a couple studies for the lighting and sketchs for figuring out the details.

Thanks, I will check those out.

Unfortunately I can’t get any other reference. The dog is dead and it’s a surprise gift for the woman’s son so I am going off of her bad photo despite me telling her that her son most likely has a better one that would be more meaningful.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

If you want upload a few of the shots and I will give them a go in PS/LR see if I can get you some better photos to work from.

Sure, if you have the time and wouldn’t mind. If anything I’d also be curious how someone else would edit something like this as I don’t have editing experience trying to “save” photos.

This is the one she wants (the first was out of focus and she thought the dog looked happier here so at least this one is not totally blurred), 8x10 so I’ll definitely be cropping it to be mostly head and try to extend the torso by undoing the perspective, or trying to mentally. The main issue is the lack of photos and she doesn’t know if this is a specific breed so I am not sure where else to try to get info. I had done one of these portraits before for her and it was the same kind of thing but for her daughter (dog had passed away, wanted a surprise gift so couldn’t directly ask for other photos) and while I wasn’t thrilled compared to what I can do with adequate references, or meeting the dog, it was ok. This one though just really seems like it will be tough because I’m afraid if I stray too far it will lose the likeness and at least locally my output has been on the photo-realistic side with the paintings so I can’t get away with just going looser.

Fools Infinite posted:

I meant you can use reference photos of a different dog for lighting or textural detail, but keep identifying characteristics from the source you do have. Even if you intend to reproduce the supplied image faithfully you can still pull in what is missing from other sources.

Ah, I see what you mean. I’m going to spend some time looking online for similar dogs but what is really have preferred is the head at even a little bit of an angle to get a sense of the geometry of the face so I could change the lighting. As-is I’m afraid if I took another dog to try to do that then I might lose the likeness (if the snout length was off enough it anything like that). It’s doable but the last client spoiled me with a living dog and some very good photo references. I should probably expect more of this though, at least if I can’t meet the dog myself.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

jarlywarly posted:

That photo is much better quality than I was expecting, I mean I can boost the shadows a bit and drop highlights, there's no getting back the eyes of course because it's a dog that's been directly flash lit and their eyes are basically retro reflectors. I not really sure what is missing that you couldn't paint the dog from that? There's no saving that photo from the effects of direct flash.

Yeah once she changed the photo it is a much better situation, at least with that I was concerned about originally. This was the original one she wanted