Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Thanks for taking the time to make this thread.

How do you like to set up your tone curve? Do you typically stick with an S bend? How do you decide where to set your points?

I usually stick to slider adjustments, but the way you describe the tone curve’s function, I think it’s something I’d like to start working with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Aw, man! It sounds like you really know what you’re doing! Wish you’d made the op instead of HH...

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

tk posted:

I have, more than once, woken up and wondered why all my pictures were so loving blue.

Lol. loving around with the LR app on my iphone without realizing night shift has kicked in yields similar results, I’ve found.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I’ve started editing color negatives in LR, and hooooly poo poo is it ever challenging. I’ve had decent luck with a few indoor shots, but pictures taken outdoors, especially with lots of snow, turn out all kinds of hosed up.

:negative:

Hoping I get a better eye for evaluating beforehand which shooting scenarios are going to be difficult to edit and learn to adjust composition/settings accordingly.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I've generally stayed away from split toning because I have no idea what I'm doing with it (more so than the rest of LR even!), but this looks pretty straightforward.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Having some trouble editing this picture to my liking. Some of the colors are downright atomic, and I'd like to tone things down a bit, but simple approaches like desaturation/lowered vibrance make things start to look blotchy. The image was shot in pretty strong mid-morning light--am I kind of just stuck with what I have?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That confirmation helps—thanks. The output you’re seeing here is using the LR portrait profile, and I’ll likely play around with that tack some more.

As I continue to try and improve as a photographer, one thing I’m aware of is that in the past I’ve over relied on things like saturated colors because I thought they might help make my images more interesting. I’m trying to discard that particular (flawed) crutch, but I also want to make sure I don’t overcompensate...

President Beep fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 30, 2019

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

That’s definitely been monkeyed with in post, I’d say a fair bit. I’ve often got to mess around with my white balance with shots from my A72—moreso than when I had a canon DSLR—but that image has been heavily desaturated or something.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

IME that’s pretty much what it amounts to—a bit of extra work in post to get things to my liking. Not a big deal though. I pretty much exclusively shoot in RAW, so I can’t really speak to Sony’s JPEG rendering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

Adam Gibbs has some videos of his editing of landscapes, it's not generally doing anything extreme because he likes a more natural style, but I've learnt a bit from it. Specifically I'm trying to use more local adjustments (dodging and burning for example) in a targeted way rather than global adjustments. A consequence of this technique is that you have to actually have an idea of what you want out of the image before you start, because the adjustments are usually pretty targeted you have to have a reason to do them, not just dragging sliders up and down until it looks good.

That actually sounds pretty useful. I shamefully usually start up by open palm slamming the "Auto" global adjustment button and then add my own tweaks from there.