Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I have no idea if I'm literally the last person to have learned this, but I just found out about an interesting phenomenon with curves adjustments. This happens in both Photoshop, and Lightroom, as well as some other programs I have tried that have Curves adjustments as well as layer blending modes.

Take a look at these two. Notice how the top one has more saturation? The curves adjustment on the top image uses the Normal (or default) blending mode. The curves adjustment on the bottom bottom image uses the Luminance blending mode. The curve itself is the exact same in both images and no other changes have been made between the two.

I'm going to quote from one of Adobe's blog pages here on their blending modes.

quote:

Normal – This is the default mode. Pixels don’t blend. Results are as expected – the contents of a layer are displayed without any blending.

Luminosity – Creates a result color with the hue and saturation of the base color and the luminance of the blend color.

And also another page here on how Curves works

quote:

Adjust image color and tone with Curves

Moving a point in the top portion of the curve adjusts the highlights. Moving a point in the center of the curve adjusts the midtones, and moving a point in the bottom section of the curve adjusts the shadows. To darken highlights, move a point near the top of the curve downward. Moving a point either down or to the right maps the Input value to a lower Output value, and the image darkens. To lighten the shadows, move a point near the bottom of the curve upward. Moving a point either up or to the left maps a lower Input value to a higher Output value, and the image lightens.

Basically all the literature you are going to come across greatly implies that using Curves only effects the Luminance values, but you can clearly see that it also effects the saturation while using Normal blending mode. I've not actually found any reason why that is the case.

I also want to say, I'm not trying to call out one or the other as being superior to the other. It's more of just an interesting thing that may trip you up if you are trying to preserve the saturation of your image and you've applied a curves adjustment and now it seems out of whack but you can't put your finger on it.

Feel free to run this experiment yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I'm just playing around trying to improve some skills, but does anyone know a good way to make some fake skin pore texture?

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

Use frequency separation except set the amount of the Gaussian blur to practically zero. Then use the clone stamp tool.in the high frequency to add pore texture by copying it from somewhere else.

Yeah, I was more tinkering on fixing up images that someone has completely oversmoothed and there's no more pore texture. Closest I've got so far is messing around with a brush, but it's pretty time intensive and takes a lot of trial and error to get the color and size right. I just haven't found a faster / easier method that's still fairly convincing.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Does Capture One have Fuji film simulation modes like Lightroom does (albeit LR's is an approximation)?

EDIT: Apparently it has but it's not available for my X-T1...

I just found this pack this morning, it may get you close. Yeah, it's affinity photo, but any program that can use LUTs should be able to open them.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/47158-haldclut-luts-for-affinity/