Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
anyone have a setup they like for using a MIDI controller for Lightroom? i tried https://rsjaffe.github.io/MIDI2LR/ and some similar plugins with a https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LaunchContXLBK--novation-launch-control-xl-controller-for-ableton-live but ran into issues with it sorta being more trouble than it's worth, between lack of a good mechanical zero (because the control surface is kinda chintzy) and a bunch of issues translating values:

- CCs did in fact act like MIDI CCs, in that they would keep updating exposure to X even though exposure was already set to X (Lightroom would continuously flash the "hey! exposure value updated!" overlay). this seems like something the software should handle (if the CC hasn't changed from its previous value, don't send an update to LR) but doesn't.
- Some settings wouldn't track correctly. CC value ranges don't absolutely map to LR value ranges, but some settings would seemingly have nothing other than a single min/mid/max value.
- Lightroom would get overwhelmed with inputs and seize up, seemingly trying to apply "exposure +0.3", "exposure +0.5", "exposure +1" "exposure +2" all in sequence and then render them, rather than just going to whatever the rest value was.

lack of motorized faders is also annoying when jumping between images, but IDK if i would want to try and get one of those if the other issues still exist. it'd be nice to have to only buy one piece of gear for both MIDI and photo work, but the MIDI->LR values translation landscape seems kinda iffy based on first impressions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i am pissy that lightroom has no ability to assign hotkeys for various adjustments

wanted to buy a generic macro keyboard to help speed up post and nope it'd be useful af because "-exposure" is literally not something you can assign to a key in lightroom

VSCO apparently had a plugin to do this but naturally adobe broke it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

xzzy posted:

MIDI2LR will let you do that.

midi2lr did a bunch of weird nonsense with being unable to tell when a CC was at the same value still (so you'd get a constant stream of EXPOSURE IS SET TO +1.0 toasters), apparently stepping through every intermediate value (making CPU usage go wheeeeee) and being unable to set any value other than +max, 0, and -max on some adjustments

conceptually it should be great but in practice it seems pretty janky

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Helen Highwater posted:

This is exactly what a Loupedeck does. I have the Loupedeck+ It's good. Get one.

I wrote a bit about it a few years ago when I'd just got it and was getting used to it - https://www.serialforeigner.photo/living-with-loupedeck/

yeah i know about those it's just annoying that you need dedicated hardware with custom integration code to handle it. customizable hotkeys for those adjustments should just exist out of the box