Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I want to learn how to edit pictures on my iPad Pro (2018 model) is this the thread to ask questions?

App wise I have Pixelmator and Pixelmator Photo. I'm open to buying other apps so long as they aren't subscriptions (can't justify cost vs. how many pictures I take) but ideally I'd like to stick with what I have. Camera wise I use a iPhone Xs with either the stock Camera app or Halide for RAW. I mostly use the stock camera because of muscle memory.

Questions mostly relating to the iPad/iOS:

1. Should I turn True Tone on or off when I'm editing pictures? Someone said it should turn off automatically, but other places say it doesn't.

2. Should I be editing the pictures with the screen at 100% brightness? For the record I normally have the screen at around 50% when I'm using it, but I imagine that the screen brightness would affect how I decide to edit pictures and I don't know how to balance that.

3. I store all my pictures in the Photos app, synced to iCloud Photos, and this works for me so I'm not going to change it. When I edit a picture with Pixelmator Photo the edits are saved directly to the picture in Photos, which then gets synced to my iPhone. In Photos.app and Pixelmator Photo it gives me an option to restore the image back to the original. This makes perfect sense to me (having one canonical picture with edits and history that can be undone).

When I edit a picture in Pixelmator, it saves a separate copy outside of iCloud Photos as a regular file. The picture in Photos.app is untouched, and it's the extra copy that has the edits. What am I suppose to do with this extra copy? Import it back into iCloud Photos and delete the original? This makes absolutely no sense to me (having multiple copies of the same picture).

4. I really have no idea what curves and levels are or how to read a histogram. Are there any good tutorials that I could follow that teach me this poo poo? I'm thinking a tutorial like: "Here's a picture, put it in your editing app, and let's start editing. First let's change this because x and y, now do this for this effect or that for that effect." I figure curves/levels/etc are the same everywhere so it doesn't need to be app specific but would be nice if they used Pixelmator Photo cause I just bought the app and it seems pretty great and easy to use (minus not knowing what anything does).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Helen Highwater posted:

I have a couple of preferences. Firstly, unless I'm using it to correct a strong colour cast (such as from stage lighting), I never pick a saturation value higher than a few pixel above the baseline. For landscape and outdoor shots my usual target area is the area between the yellow/red on the left side. I'll usually set the highlights a little more warmer and a little more saturated than the lows too.

Like this:

I tend to use the picker rather than the sliders because it lets me more easily visualise what the opposite of the existing colour casts is so that I can cancel them out.

For example this shot:

As you can see it has a very strong magenta cast due to the stage lighting. I can easily see what the opposite colour is in the picker to cancel that out.

This post for example is what I'm looking for but with more explanation. Where does the 180º comes from and how does this even work? In my mind I'm thinking that if I wanted less magenta, then I should pick magenta and turn down the … intensity? of it somehow, not pick a totally different color to "cancel" it out.