Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How do you people do split toning in LR? I prefer to do complementary colors, but the standard color picker isn't standard RGB/CMYK so I just gotta approximate it. Are there better ways to do it? (I also apply it very sparingly and not slather an obnoxious teal-and-yellow coat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
That's very useful, thanks!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Fools Infinite posted:

I primary use Darktable and would recommend trying it. Compatibility with new hardware for things like lens corrections is very slow in coming if at all, and I think X-Trans is the only non-Bayer supported sensor type.

Last time I used Darktable was in 2016 and it didn't seem to have X-Trans support then. Has it vastly improved?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Does Capture One have Fuji film simulation modes like Lightroom does (albeit LR's is an approximation)?

EDIT: Apparently it has but it's not available for my X-T1...

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Blackhawk posted:

Which version of this image do you think is best? I originally created the one on the left, but re-visiting it a few months later I made the one on the right.

Pretty minor I guess? Just bringing the exposure down a bit, get some more colour in the clouds. It's on film so there really isn't a great deal of information in the shadows anyway so if you try to lighten them up you just get grain.

Edit: Also for some reason the small jpg's I just posted have really uneven and smudgy looking skies compared to the original image :S

I prefer the first one since the color of the water looks more natural and the rock near the center has more visible detail. It seems that you cranked the contrast up on the second too much.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Post-processing is very rewarding and I've managed to turn meh raws into killer photos, I'm mostly concerned about using it as a crutch instead of improving my shooting technique. I've been trying to get the composition straight out of camera mostly right so I don't have to fix it in post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah cropping in post helps me compose better as I find myself rushing shots while in the moment, so I'm more mindful of getting it right on the first try.