Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

While your final output is subjective from an editing standpoint there are benifits to shooting flat and with an exposure that captures the most information possible. If you overexpose and decide later you want to bring more information into the highlights then you're out of luck, that's clipped out of existence. Likewise if you go really punchy in the contrast and decide you want to bring in more fine tonality then that is lost too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

echinopsis posted:

something I am shocking at is editing late at night and then posting something and then in the morning just being like woah that colour what was I thinking. stare at it too long and you get some kind of colour fatigue and can’t tell it’s a mess

I really need to have some patience

and right now just occurred to me, maybe something like a reference photo where I am totally happy with the colour balance and exposure, and keep using it as a reference

Look at it at different sizes and on different devices as well. Zoom in and out, sync it to your phone, you'll pick up colour casts way easier.