Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
First off: thank you Helen Highwater for making this thread!

I'll probably have plenty of specific questions about actually processing in the future, but first things first: I am trying to break my litany of bad habits when it comes to my LR workflow.

I used to do all my post in CS5 and resisted getting LR for as long as I could. When I did get it, I still viewed all the catalog features as an annoyance and did my best to work around it: import the photos from a shoot, process, export, then delete from catalog. I know, I know.

I'd like to clean up my act and get my workflow and storage system more up to date. I have a desktop PC I prefer to use for most post work, as well as a Surface Book 1 that I'd like to use on the road.

Normally I import from SD card to my desktop (main SSD), do my post/export, and then take the originals + exported, processed photos and store in an external drive, delete from my desktop. I currently have two 1TB drives (platter) that I keep mirrored backups on.

Since I'll be using two computers, it sounds like my best option is to get a USB 3.0 SSD (seems like there are some decent Black Friday deals out there) and use that for my catalog so I can switch between desktop and Surface Book, and keep a platter drive (possibly even both) as a backup. It seems relatively straightforward to take an existing catalog and merge it into a master, so anything I do on the road with the Surface could be added to my main computer when I get home. It sounds like USB 3.0 should be fast enough for this, any thoughts on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Helen Highwater posted:

You can see in the screenshots that I have a bunch of external drives attached to my MacBook. One of them has my catalogue on it, one of them is where I import my originals, and a third one is where I save a backup copy of the imports to (which is also where my catalogue backups get saved to as well). This third drive gets synced to cloud storage continually via BackBlaze. The catalogue drive is a Thunderbolt drive, the others are USB3, none are SSDs. I don't really notice any appreciable performance hit from using external drives for processing. I was doing it that way because originally I was working on a MacBook Air with a 128GB hard drive, so I didn't actually have room for hundreds of RAW files. When I replaced it with a MBPro, I kept with that because I didn't see a lot of value in copying five years of photos to my internal HDD.

That sounds like a pretty good system. I'm giving away how little I understand this but: by 'catalog' do you mean just the catalog files, or also the image files themselves? I'd definitely want one single drive I can work off of, since I've only got the two USB ports on the Surface Book. Should have added, I was thinking that doing a separate catalog for each year made the most sense in my situation.

tk posted:

If you’re willing to stomach the cost and throw caution to the wind, I’ve been enjoying the Lightroom CC cloud sync lifestyle for a bit now.

Things I like:
- Import once to any device and be done with it. At the end of a trip, worst case scenario is that hotel WiFi was slow and I have to let it finish cloud syncing.
- Edit anywhere. I can do first pass edits on my iPad while sitting out on the balcony, then walk in to do a final pass from my nice big desktop display.
- Access to my whole catalog no matter where I am, either through phone or a web browser. I never don’t have access to a shot because I forgot to export it.
- I can do all my Flickr and Instagram (including phone-specific edits) from the bus.
- I repeat myself, but never worrying about catalog management is great.

Things I do not like:
- It’s expensive. Especially as storage demands increase.
- No snapshots, edit history, or virtual copies. Sometimes I like to keep multiple edits of a shot around. This is a pain in the CC world.
- Weaker catalog management / metadata tedium. You can do title/caption/keywords for individual pictures, but that’s about it. No way to add location information; no way to bulk edit metadata for multiple shots.
- I am trusting Adobe to manage my data.

That does sound nice, but while I know I am about to have to bite the bullet and get CC (I at least get edu pricing, was actually the folio site tool that pushed me over the edge) I am really not about any of that cloud stuff and try to keep my subscriptions to an absolute minimum. Cost aside, it doesn't make much sense for me anyways as most of my travel I do doesn't necessarily have wifi at the end of the day.

I actually got the Surface Book because I wanted full LR on the go, though I understand that will be coming to the iPad Pro in the near future.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Any tips for adjusting curves / colors / whatever to get some nice soft pastel colors? Aside from just shooting on portra in the first place. I’ve tried fiddling with them on my own but can’t really get any results I like.

Lower contrast and saturation is a good starting point

Speaking of which - I treated myself to a Behringer X-Touch Mini after I shot my sister in law's weddings earlier this year (two ceremonies, lots of pictures) and I can't stress enough how much more streamlined and enjoyable it's made doing post processing work - if you guys are looking for something photography related that's not obnoxiously expensive to put on your Christmas list, definitely recommend it. Here's a video of a guy introducing it, he has a wireless adapter thingie on it which I am actually kinda tempted by, but it's fine using it wired.

I use mine at a standing desk, also have a cheap eBay USB foot pedal (3 pedals) that I use for forward, back, and undo - not strictly necessary but I like how it largely takes the keyboard and mouse out of the equation.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 21, 2018

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Helen Highwater posted:

I have the catalogue on one drive and the image files on a different one. It doesn't matter where the image files are, they can be on the same drive as the catalogue or all on different ones. The catalogue is just a database of where the originals are stored and a list of the edits to each one, it doesn't physically contain your image files.

You need to restart Lr to switch catalogues, and there's no real advantage to having multiple catalogues unless you want to keep personal and work stuff separate or something. Organising files by date/theme/event/etc is what Collections are for.

Exposure, highlights, shadows to the right
Contrast, vibrance, dehaze to the left.

Split toning to warm the shadows a bit more than the highlights.

Ah, OK - given the limited number of ports on the Surface Book I think I'll do mine on one.

My reasoning for multiple catalogs was that I also have almost 15 years worth of photos (with some dry spells, to be fair) so having them all in one would likely make LR really chug.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Any MIDI2LR users here? I'm gettin' real upset!

Had to reinstall Windows and made sure to save my XML presets for my Behringer X-Touch Mini. I was using LR5 or 6 before and now have Classic with my Creative Cloud subscription. MIDI2LR supposedly connected to LR Classic and the MIDI controller is connected and lit up etc, but Lightroom won't do anything. I did some Googling and it says to load the presets using File / Plugin Extras... but it wants a text file and the MIDI2LR config file is XML. Have tried renaming or copy/pasting into a text file and loading that, but LR won't read it.

Is there any way to fix this, or do I need to start from scratch and redo everything?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Schneider Heim posted:

Post-processing is very rewarding and I've managed to turn meh raws into killer photos, I'm mostly concerned about using it as a crutch instead of improving my shooting technique. I've been trying to get the composition straight out of camera mostly right so I don't have to fix it in post.

Fixing composition in post is just another way of learning how to get it right the next time :shobon:

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

anyone have a setup they like for using a MIDI controller for Lightroom? i tried https://rsjaffe.github.io/MIDI2LR/ and some similar plugins with a https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LaunchContXLBK--novation-launch-control-xl-controller-for-ableton-live but ran into issues with it sorta being more trouble than it's worth, between lack of a good mechanical zero (because the control surface is kinda chintzy) and a bunch of issues translating values:

- CCs did in fact act like MIDI CCs, in that they would keep updating exposure to X even though exposure was already set to X (Lightroom would continuously flash the "hey! exposure value updated!" overlay). this seems like something the software should handle (if the CC hasn't changed from its previous value, don't send an update to LR) but doesn't.
- Some settings wouldn't track correctly. CC value ranges don't absolutely map to LR value ranges, but some settings would seemingly have nothing other than a single min/mid/max value.
- Lightroom would get overwhelmed with inputs and seize up, seemingly trying to apply "exposure +0.3", "exposure +0.5", "exposure +1" "exposure +2" all in sequence and then render them, rather than just going to whatever the rest value was.

lack of motorized faders is also annoying when jumping between images, but IDK if i would want to try and get one of those if the other issues still exist. it'd be nice to have to only buy one piece of gear for both MIDI and photo work, but the MIDI->LR values translation landscape seems kinda iffy based on first impressions

I don't do a lot of digital these days, but I have a Behringer X-Touch Mini that works well with MIDI2LR. It's basically just to have the knobs for adjusting all the sliders instead of having to dink around manually with the mouse and take my eyes off the image, makes it much more intuitive and is well worth it IMO. I used to have VSCO presets on the buttons but had a hell of a time figuring out how to re-do the shortcuts after a computer crash.

I don't feel like I'm missing too much not having motorised faders, I just set "push knob down" for "undo changes made to this value".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

A cheaper solution than Loupedeck is just Midi2LR with a Behringer X-Touch Mini.

Like Helen was saying, a big pro of those kinds of devices is not having to look down at what you're doing, you're just looking at the screen and twiddling knobs/hititng buttons to taste.