Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Probably a noob question as I'm sure the answer is simple and just haven't found it yet...

For you Sony shooters, over time I've noticed lots of popular Instagram photographers who happen to mention their Sony gear in their bio posting shots that have this type of desaturated/muted color. There's definitely LR or PS work being done, but how does this example compare to the base image/color science from one of those cameras without any picture styles enabled? As a Fuji shooter it would be fun to experiment with getting this type of trendy tonality once in a while, but I've never been able to get remotely close by messing with tone curves, saturation, split toning, color balance, etc.

Maybe there's just a popular preset people are using... but any idea how to go about achieving this type of look? Thanks!

ianskate fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

President Beep posted:

That’s definitely been monkeyed with in post, I’d say a fair bit. I’ve often got to mess around with my white balance with shots from my A72—moreso than when I had a canon DSLR—but that image has been heavily desaturated or something.

That makes sense, considering what I've read about the A7 workflow, at least compared to the other guys. Strangely I do find myself having to correct Fuji WB a lot more than I did with my 5dmk2, but I'm ok with it as it's not a huge workflow hiccup.

Fools Infinite posted:

The midtones on the subject/foreground/background are all a similar color, so it looks like a lot like a drawing on gray paper. I'd guess something more than a simple adjustment.

You can try checking the photographers' pages on different sites and see if they tag their images anywhere with whatever presets or filters.

Interesting description, I kinda see what you mean. I'll have to do some digging / reverse image searching to find out who shot it -- or when I see more like it, find out what they're doing. Though honestly most Instagram photographers are either highly protective of their style unless (or maybe especially) they sell their own presets. From what I've seen it's usually just some hacky gimmick like 10 variants of the same thing with trendy grain ++/-- exposure and film-esque names for $50 that anybody with LR could churn out if they're popular enough, and make money.

Thanks for your thoughts! If I uncover anything I'll add to this, in case anybody else is ever interested.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 16, 2020

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

MrBlandAverage posted:

This looks like a light split tone with a warm color for shadows and a cool color for highlights (the opposite of what you'd normally see) + curves to make the blacks not black and the whites not white.

Don't do it just because it's trendy.

Haha I hear that, blindly following trends is silly, though I do find the look aesthetically pleasing personally, which is why I was curious. Although to be fair I'm sure many of the people posting stuff like that only do it because it's trendy, and have the same "Trendy Instagram Photographer Film Simulation Grow Your Followers Premium Penile Replacement #69 Preset Pack" because.

Anyway, I'll have to experiment with some of those adjustments and see what happens, thanks for the tips!

Edit: So one thing I think I've learned by digging around is that many of these seem to be intentionally underexposed and then boosted significantly after, probably to preserve details in the shadows, which makes sense based on your settings suggestions.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 20, 2020

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

In my ongoing quest to evolve from a photographer to a humanoid camera, I keep finding these Instagram feature pages with photos that I personally really like. Obviously others like them too, and it's trendy. The best way to describe them is cinematic and atmospheric.

I'm sure some are film shots, but also likely digital with a good amount of time in Lightroom. Lens choice and lighting probably play a bigger part, and my guess is that it's really not camera dependent, although having the right depth of field (ie. FF vs Crop), focal length and lens play a big part in terms of visual texture, but maybe not? Maybe simply slapping a ProMist filter on will do it? As someone shooting with an X-T2, I've struggled endlessly to recreate a similar style, and not really sure how to approach the look, tonality and dreamy feel of these.

Anybody have an idea of what process shots like the following go through, and what type of lens or camera? (I've done some digging and can't seem to find much info about them, and of course "trade secrets" or "pay for my courses/presets" is the typical response if you ask anybody these days for tips)

https://i.imgur.com/RYXyFV4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tsjqLkK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/z4pdsEK.jpg

ianskate fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 10, 2020

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Dang, that's a pretty good representation I think. Also the source image is a good starting point, enough bokeh with some OOF glow / silhouetting around her hair which definitely adds to the effect in the appropriate way, so I think you're definitely hitting it correctly. I'll see what I can come up with in LR, but it all sounds relatively straight forward (if by bloom you're referring to pulling Dehaze to the negative, then I think I've got it more or less).

But would surely appreciate the steps either way, maybe my approach has just been plain wrong all along. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Right on, thanks again! I didn't have have Darktable and of course there's no XMP compatibility (thanks Adobe) but I went with your suggestions in ACR and think this is also in that direction. Although I did download Darktable because I've always meant to check it out, so I'll have to see your exact settings when I have time later.

ACR version in PS. It's a little brighter but think it has some of the qualities... but let me know if you feel the same way, because everybody sees things differently.