Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

poemdexter posted:

This sounds like a joke, but I've gone through like 20 minutes of editing before realizing it was still on. :gonk:

I have, more than once, woken up and wondered why all my pictures were so loving blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Since I'll be using two computers, it sounds like my best option is to get a USB 3.0 SSD (seems like there are some decent Black Friday deals out there) and use that for my catalog so I can switch between desktop and Surface Book, and keep a platter drive (possibly even both) as a backup. It seems relatively straightforward to take an existing catalog and merge it into a master, so anything I do on the road with the Surface could be added to my main computer when I get home. It sounds like USB 3.0 should be fast enough for this, any thoughts on this?

If you’re willing to stomach the cost and throw caution to the wind, I’ve been enjoying the Lightroom CC cloud sync lifestyle for a bit now.

Things I like:
- Import once to any device and be done with it. At the end of a trip, worst case scenario is that hotel WiFi was slow and I have to let it finish cloud syncing.
- Edit anywhere. I can do first pass edits on my iPad while sitting out on the balcony, then walk in to do a final pass from my nice big desktop display.
- Access to my whole catalog no matter where I am, either through phone or a web browser. I never don’t have access to a shot because I forgot to export it.
- I can do all my Flickr and Instagram (including phone-specific edits) from the bus.
- I repeat myself, but never worrying about catalog management is great.

Things I do not like:
- It’s expensive. Especially as storage demands increase.
- No snapshots, edit history, or virtual copies. Sometimes I like to keep multiple edits of a shot around. This is a pain in the CC world.
- Weaker catalog management / metadata tedium. You can do title/caption/keywords for individual pictures, but that’s about it. No way to add location information; no way to bulk edit metadata for multiple shots.
- I am trusting Adobe to manage my data.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
First one. In the second one the contrast between the sky and water is distracting.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to learn how to edit pictures on my iPad Pro (2018 model) is this the thread to ask questions?
I edit most often on my iPad. Usually only go to my desktop if I want a larger display or am going to be making a print. I don’t actually know what I’m doing, so take this advise with a grain of salt.

Boris Galerkin posted:

1. Should I turn True Tone on or off when I'm editing pictures? Someone said it should turn off automatically, but other places say it doesn't
I keep it off. I find it to be a bit finicky and don’t like when my color shifts while I’m editing because a cloud passed by the window or I turn my iPad a bit closer to the window.

I try to be more concerned with how colors interact with each other in the picture than the colors being “right”. Assuming you’re going to be sharing pictures online, people are going to be viewing on all sorts of different displays with all sorts of different settings under all sorts of different lighting conditions. Humans are pretty good at adjusting and interpreting color based on context.

Boris Galerkin posted:

2. Should I be editing the pictures with the screen at 100% brightness? For the record I normally have the screen at around 50% when I'm using it, but I imagine that the screen brightness would affect how I decide to edit pictures and I don't know how to balance that.
I primary edit at 50%, but like to both extremes before final cut to see what gets lost.

A picture with a lot going on in the shadows I may edit at a lower brightness, the opposite for something with a lot going on in highlights.

I also frequently compare my picture to the Lightroom interface components to see how bright it is relatively.

quote:

3. I store all my pictures in the Photos app
I edit in Lightroom, can’t help there.

quote:

4. I really have no idea what curves and levels are or how to read a histogram. Are there any good tutorials that I could follow that teach me this poo poo? I'm thinking a tutorial like: "Here's a picture, put it in your editing app, and let's start editing. First let's change this because x and y, now do this for this effect or that for that effect." I figure curves/levels/etc are the same everywhere so it doesn't need to be app specific but would be nice if they used Pixelmator Photo cause I just bought the app and it seems pretty great and easy to use (minus not knowing what anything does).

There are a lot of tutorials and explainers on YouTube. Just keep watching them until something clicks for you. I tend to like the way Tony explains things, so this may be worth a shot: https://youtu.be/ZmAw_Zd7zP4

tk fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 19, 2019