Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe this is a dumb question but when it comes to
contrast and exposure… it’s entirely subjective isn’t it?

I don’t know if I have a question, but I suppose I’d love to read or hear what professionals have to say about them. What goes through their mind etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

While your final output is subjective from an editing standpoint there are benifits to shooting flat and with an exposure that captures the most information possible. If you overexpose and decide later you want to bring more information into the highlights then you're out of luck, that's clipped out of existence. Likewise if you go really punchy in the contrast and decide you want to bring in more fine tonality then that is lost too.

thankfully with my modern camera, unless there is a shitload of contrast in the scene, I can capture most of it in the shot.

the key is the subjective use of exposure and contrast for effect in the final image. I suppose I just wish there was a book or something I could learn from.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
aight so I helped a work colleague to shoot some photos for a makeup portfolio. I am happy with the photos, but due to being taken in a botanical gardens, they've got this awful green cast which I not sure how best to deal with

here is the original

and this is my attempt

I mean, I would probably be happy with this for my own purposes but seeing as it's for the purpose of displaying makeup I want it to be as close to good as I can.

I've tried reducing green saturation, putting a cast over it of purple to cancel out the green, tried using calibration. they all mostly work, but idk. maybe it's just because I know the og was green that I can't not see it. maybe it's fine.

anyway any advice or whatever is welcome

here's a link to the dng if someone wants to have a play themselves

https://mega.nz/file/nA5FxDjL#l3DIdZ0k0VsXwASLlls1RnNQf7PqrLWIOnv8Otkz7WY

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bobmarleysghost posted:

if you're trying to show off make up then you really shouldn't be in a colour casted shade, i'd do it in full sun - a little earlier than golden hour but not quite noon sun. or use flash tbh.

yeah I'd never done this before, and only afterward was I like yeah maybe shouldn't have done it somewhere else lol. the location was requested by the MUA and they were inflexible on times... thankfully they didn't pay me anything so they can't really complain lmao

quote:

my edit could use more saturation maybe

whatd you do?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool thank you

and yeah the grain is me. I always apply grain lol

a question I need to ultimately find the answer to, is can you utterly correct for the cast, or will it always be hosed lol

there were other photos that were worse than this one for the cast. ugh.

oh well. live and learn.

thanks

pretty happy with the photo, composition wise and also that's a good looking mf

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that is bogus

hate the whole our way or the highway appeoaxh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A trick someone taught me and I used it here, is to crank the saturation, then play with the temperature and tint etc, it makes it much more obvious if you've still got a green cast or whatever. then pull the saturation down obviously, but maybe makes it a bit easier.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Viginti Septem posted:

Color/contrast/framing/story telling in a photo, to me, is more impactful than having the "cleanest" image.

this seems correct

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just wanna say that I wish lightroom had a thing where you could do a couple crops and when you exported it did all of them

often I crop a photo for 4:5 and then again for 16:9 and it'd be cool if I could just have both at the same time, rather than having to re-crop and go back in the history to get to the other one.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah. hmm when you synchronise develop settings does that mean a change to one changes all that are synced?

in practice I just crop, export, re-crop, export again.

and abuse the history

tbh the history is fuckin great. one downside of virtual copies is that it starts with a fresh history plus if you hit backslash to bring up the og, the og is the state of the photo you virtually copied when you copied it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
something I am shocking at is editing late at night and then posting something and then in the morning just being like woah that colour what was I thinking. stare at it too long and you get some kind of colour fatigue and can’t tell it’s a mess

I really need to have some patience

and right now just occurred to me, maybe something like a reference photo where I am totally happy with the colour balance and exposure, and keep using it as a reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

Look at it at different sizes and on different devices as well. Zoom in and out, sync it to your phone, you'll pick up colour casts way easier.

nice tip thanks