Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have suggestions on how to start tagging photos? Programs to use, good catagories for keywords, etc? My wife has tens of thousands of photos at this point, and uses lightroom for editing, but hasn't done any tagging yet.

I don't know much about photo editing, I was thinking we could both install adobe bridge and work on tagging them (all the photos are on our server) once we'd agreed on a tagging scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

jarlywarly posted:

As a hobbyist I can't imagine having multiple tens of thousands of photos I've taken that I felt were worth keeping, I maybe keep 200 a year and only publish a few of them.

Are you referring back to them often for edits or more just to look at them?
She's been taking photos since ~2009 but only really started editing seriously since ~2017 or so. Now that the most recent ones are finished with editing she's planning to go back to the earlier ones and edit them. We do look through them occasionally for ourselves or to share with other people, but she also wants to be able to use them for other creative things.

huhu posted:

I put my photos into folders by year then by location if outside my home city. Home city photos get broken down with other categories. I wouldn't bother manually tagging that many photos. Guaranteed you're going to be inconsistent about it.
She already sorts them by location in a couple levels of folders, labeled with the date, specific trip, people involved. I think she wants to have tags so that she can search for things over multiple folders (e.g. I want to make a collage of purple flowers, or birds, or...)

She likes having fairly detailed collections from trips, I don't think it would be useful to suggest deleting more than the 'bad' photos (which she is intending to do from the older ones). Also hard drive space is cheap.