Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Which version of this image do you think is best? I originally created the one on the left, but re-visiting it a few months later I made the one on the right.

Pretty minor I guess? Just bringing the exposure down a bit, get some more colour in the clouds. It's on film so there really isn't a great deal of information in the shadows anyway so if you try to lighten them up you just get grain.

Edit: Also for some reason the small jpg's I just posted have really uneven and smudgy looking skies compared to the original image :S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Schneider Heim posted:

Post-processing is very rewarding and I've managed to turn meh raws into killer photos, I'm mostly concerned about using it as a crutch instead of improving my shooting technique. I've been trying to get the composition straight out of camera mostly right so I don't have to fix it in post.

I mean in my experience no amount of post processing can fix a dogshit image, so it's not like it removes the skill from the action of actually taking the photo. I don't think cropping to fix a composition is really a sin, especially if for some reason you don't have perfect lens for a given situation and for whatever reason you can't zoom with your feet (cliff or river etc.)

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

huhu posted:

Do you guys have any Youtubers that have recordings of them editing photos you like?

Adam Gibbs has some videos of his editing of landscapes, it's not generally doing anything extreme because he likes a more natural style, but I've learnt a bit from it. Specifically I'm trying to use more local adjustments (dodging and burning for example) in a targeted way rather than global adjustments. A consequence of this technique is that you have to actually have an idea of what you want out of the image before you start, because the adjustments are usually pretty targeted you have to have a reason to do them, not just dragging sliders up and down until it looks good.