Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
And we've reached the Svidler referencing loss part of the broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hand Knit posted:

And we've reached the Svidler referencing loss part of the broadcast.

*Mis*referencing it, mind you.

"Probably only my son would get this, and I mean only him, not even me, because he's the one who explained it to me in the first place".

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Drone posted:

I used to like Chessbrahs but man, comparing their production quality to the Chess.com stream, there's no contest about which I'd rather watch

I mean sure they have an extremely smaller budget but still

They are much better when they have Yasser, but it is still my goto because they don't allow engine evals.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Back to the Sveshnikov. It feels pretty double-edged (move 19), but still that Carlsen is better if he navigates it.

e: "To me chess is a constant struggle between the desire not to lose and the desire not to think."

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 22, 2018

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

On 21.Kh1, the Svidler/Giri/Grischuk team has found 21...b5!!. It sacrifices a pawn and gives white an advanced passer, with the trade-off of clearing out white's defensive rook on a3. I hope he goes for it.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
He's going for it. Fabi's in a bad way right now

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Omnikin posted:

He did. Still probably remis, but now that I've said that it probably won't be.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Omnikin posted:

And then Carlsen blunders a pawn. I suspect that Caruana has enough time to confirm that he can take on b5 and not die.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Things are happening!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Syncopated posted:

Things are happening!

Things seem to have largely ceased happening.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Things aren't happening in a really tense way.

It's probably a draw.

Probably.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

Things aren't happening in a really tense way.

It's probably a draw.

Probably.

This position is a gift to the broadcasters as a revenge against the people who just sit there and read off computer evals.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Re Misérables

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carlsen is blundering and Caruana is playing with total cowardice.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Keep playing you cowards!

Edit: :argh:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hand Knit posted:

Carlsen is blundering and Caruana is playing with total cowardice.

Carlsen is deffo doing that thing where he sometimes takes dumb chances in some sort of mental game I assume and Caruana is playing like a guy who doesn't need to win during these rounds and can totally go toe-to-toe with Carlsen during the lightning rounds and such. Which, you know, might not be the case.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Carlsen is deffo doing that thing where he sometimes takes dumb chances in some sort of mental game

I call that the Carlsen effect where Magnus can take big gambles because 1)he's Magnus Carlsen and can probably play accurately enough to last until his opponent mis-plays his advantage and 2)his opponent knows they're playing Magnus Carlsen and will often scare themself into playing right into Magnus's hands.

I thought Caruana wouldn't be affected by this since he's a really good analytical player and their ratings are so close Carlsen shouldn't appear that big of a monster.

I also can't help but feel if the final position were reversed, Carlsen would have played until either the extra pawn was well and truly stopped or he was forced to take the rooks off the board.

It's been a really long tournament for both players though, so the actual situation over the board probably seems a lot different for both players than a couple weeks ago.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Caruana is playing like he's confident he can out-prepare Carlsen but not at all confident that he can outplay him over the board, so once Carlsen refutes his preparation and he has to think for himself he's happy to settle for a draw and hope to get a big enough preparation advantage for a win next time.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Next game

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just looked and oh is that opposite square bishops, only pawns elsewise, and therefore clearly a draw?

Great, wonderful.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Just looked and oh is that opposite square bishops, only pawns elsewise, and therefore clearly a draw?

Analysis team is focusing on "so let's say that black's king is permanently locked out of the position and white can make multiple moves in a row, can white win then?"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Look at how the game ended, I've won that endgame before. Mind you, it was against a player not quite as good as Caruana.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Everytime the play goes back to Caruana I'm reminded of Finegold's line that if you spend more than 20 minutes on a move, you aren't finding the best move.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This is Caruana's last chance, right? If this goes to the tiebreakers, he can't keep up with Carlsen in the shorter time controls.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't understand that narrative at all. If Carlsen was that much better, it wouldn't be 5.5-5.5. Just decide this with a coinflip and save us all from the tedium.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't understand that narrative at all. If Carlsen was that much better, it wouldn't be 5.5-5.5. Just decide this with a coinflip and save us all from the tedium.

The narrative comes from the fact that they're #1 and #2 in the world in standard time format but Carlsen is also #1 in the world in rapid and blitz while Caruana is #10 in rapid and #18 in blitz. Like Caruana is clearly still a good player in the fast time formats and maybe can even get an advantage in some fast games because of his insane preparation, but he just doesn't think as fast as Carlsen does so it's more likely that Carlsen would win once the game gets out of prep.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Teddybear posted:

This is Caruana's last chance, right? If this goes to the tiebreakers, he can't keep up with Carlsen in the shorter time controls.
He stands a decent shot in the four-match rapid games, but he's at a distinct disadvantage if it goes to blitz, because Carlsen is just a much stronger blitz player. Caruana's best shot was this final classical game, but he's out of prep right now with no advantage, so it's most likely going to a draw or loss for him. Smart money is on Carlsen, but it's more like 2:1 odds rather than 10:1 or whatever like you'll see in most online commentary.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
It reminds me of every game in this match, except in reverse. Mostly we got Magnus using lots of time to gain a minuscule advantage in the opening, which he loses in moves 20-40. Now we have the players switching time management strategies.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The game is interesting, but I'm still here for Giri and Grischuk turning to roasting Svidler already.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Caruana really trying to avoid the tiebreaks here

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
gently caress was that rook move?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

gently caress was that rook move?

Want a rook on the c-file, and don't want to give up the ability to castle long just yet.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

It's a wild position but once against Carlsen is less than precise. Still looks like he holds the balance, though.

e: Grischuk with the good point that given the match and clock situation, Carlsen is probably looking to solidify the position with a slight plus with initiative. Caruana will have to play quite precisely under a lot of pressure.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 26, 2018

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
White's King looks vaguely vulnerable, I hope something happens...

If this goes to an armageddon match after halving every game this world championship will undoubtedly go down as the worst ever. It definitely lowers the status of the champion.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Flayer posted:

White's King looks vaguely vulnerable, I hope something happens...

If this goes to an armageddon match after halving every game this world championship will undoubtedly go down as the worst ever. It definitely lowers the status of the champion.

There's 10 ratings poits between them. There's no reason either shouldn't be world champion.

FIDE should probably continue thinking about how they set up WCC Tournaments in a post computer analysis world. No idea what to chamge though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

What is striking about this match, and makes it feel different from Carlsen-Karjakin, is that the quality of game seems quite low. This was most notable in game 10, but generally these games haven't seemed necessarily drawn. Rather, they're drawn because Caruana is passive and Carlsen is inaccurate.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Jonny Nox posted:

There's 10 ratings poits between them. There's no reason either shouldn't be world champion.
Without a decisive game how can either really claim to be classical world champion? There will always be a question mark over a classical world champion who wins the title on blitz or armageddon games, especially if the challenger wins the title that way. Although to be fair to Caruana it would be a big upset if he could beat Carlsen at blitz or armageddon.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

welp

to tie breakers we go

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
WTF Magnus? Offering a draw with the positional advantage and the time advantage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
What the gently caress.

• Locked thread