Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
That was really weird. I guess Carlsen couldn't see a way through despite clearly being better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyelkin posted:

That was really weird. I guess Carlsen couldn't see a way through despite clearly being better.

Black is theoretically not without worry in that position. But black is also clearly better, and still has play. I guess it's predictable given the nothing of a game 11. I guess he's just happy to roll with rapid games.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
He's up nearly 40 minutes with decent position. I don't get it

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

vyelkin posted:

Then he doesn't need to be playing for the championship :confused:

This has been a complete farce.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Black is theoretically not without worry in that position. But black is also clearly better, and still has play. I guess it's predictable given the nothing of a game 11. I guess he's just happy to roll with rapid games.

He said on Norwegian TV that he didn't see a way to push his advantage without taking a major risk

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Ugh gently caress now we have to wait until Wednesday

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
No what the actual gently caress.

Obviously I don't know enough about chess to understand that decision but what the hell. Is it just that 90 moves ahead Carlsen saw an inevatible remis? Caruana just said he was surprised.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Omnikin posted:

He's up nearly 40 minutes with decent position. I don't get it

Carlsen
Classical: 2835
Rapid: 2880
Blitz: 2939

Caruana
Classical: 2832
Rapid: 2789
Blitz: 2767

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Disqualify both of them

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Smol posted:

Disqualify both of them

The title defence is now a triple threat match with Ding Liren.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

wow

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

the stl stream is speculating something bad happened to magnus family lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

An Apple A Gay posted:

the stl stream is speculating something bad happened to magnus family lol

Yeah their son just got revealed as a flake.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Hand Knit posted:

Want

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

doesnt this result beg questions for the prev 11 games like he's a str8 pussy now gently caress that guy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I know a lot of people get upset with making the world champion play into the match, but maybe do that?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Hand Knit posted:

Or Nakamura, since they're going to play rapid & blitz anyway. Anyhow, I now want Caruana to win so much.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Jonny Nox posted:

I know a lot of people get upset with making the world champion play into the match, but maybe do that?

I dunno. The women's championship sort of did that for a while and the winner of the knockouts tournament didn't seem legitimate since Hou Yifan went just about a decade without losing a single game in a match defence.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Maybe just make the challenger win if it's 12 draws. :v:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just make them play forever until someone gets, I dunno, five wins but remove money from the prize pool for every game they play after the tenth.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Just make them play forever until someone gets, I dunno, five wins but remove money from the prize pool for every game they play after the tenth.

Last time the title match was organized this way someone was hospitalized. I will let you decide whether this is a merit or demerit.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/status/1067125702712004609

yikes

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So will ALL the tiebreakers go down on Wednesday, back-to-back if necessary?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yep 2 will enter one will leave. That's the point of Armageddon.

Then the other will leave a little while later, after being declared champion.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Teddybear posted:

So will ALL the tiebreakers go down on Wednesday, back-to-back if necessary?

Yes. 4 rapid (G25;i10) games, then 2 blitz (G5;i3), then 1 Armageddon (white gets 6 minutes, black gets 5 minutes, black wins if there is a draw on the board) game.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46343036

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

13 games. challenger gets white 8 times. three games then a day break with last game on it's own. Tie goes to defender.

No rapid, blitz, or Armageddon, we have a tournament for that.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'd kinda like a sworn affidavit affirming that someone will win before I dedicate any more time to this.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'd kinda like a sworn affidavit affirming that someone will win before I dedicate any more time to this.

Per the stuff folks posted up there, if they draw the last, final, ultimate match, then it's considered a win for black, and they're the champion.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:
In the press conference afterwards Magnus showed how he thought the position would have simplified and it would've resulted in another rook and pawn endgame draw. He also said that he felt he was in a better position but didn't feel that he wanted to take any unnecessary risks. Given the format, this seems totally rational and reasonable -- wish we had 16 or 18 classical games instead of just 12.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

From my perspective of knowing next to nothing about competitive chess, it seems frustrating that you aren’t forced to play out the board.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Democratic Pirate posted:

From my perspective of knowing next to nothing about competitive chess, it seems frustrating that you aren’t forced to play out the board.

Do draws also bother you in chess? Have you heard of endgame tablebases?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I appreciate that it's an unsolvable problem, but as a viewer, if you've lost one pawn and one knight, no, the position is not drawn, you aren't done yet.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

ulmont posted:

Yes. 4 rapid (G25;i10) games, then 2 blitz (G5;i3), then 1 Armageddon (white gets 6 minutes, black gets 5 minutes, black wins if there is a draw on the board) game.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46343036

That's not correct. Here is the actual format, emphasis mine:

quote:

If the scores are level after the regular 12 games, four tiebreak games will be played. These are rapid games with 25 minutes for each player with an increment of 10 seconds after each move.

If it's still equal, two blitz games will be played (5 minutes plus 3 seconds increment). If it's still equal, a second pair of two blitz games will be played. If there is still no winner after five such matches, one sudden-death game will be played. The player who wins the drawing of lots may choose the color. The player with the white pieces shall receive 5 minutes, the player with the black pieces shall receive 4 minutes whereupon, after the 60th move, both players shall receive an increment of 3 seconds starting from move 61. In case of a draw the player with the black pieces is declared the winner.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Do draws also bother you in chess? Have you heard of endgame tablebases?

No, and no. I understand that games can come to a draw, and that this game may have ended in a draw like all the others, but still dislike the calling of a premature draw when one side appeared to have an advantage.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I must admit that I have no idea if I would want to play black or white in an Armageddon game.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

tonberrytoby posted:

I must admit that I have no idea if I would want to play black or white in an Armageddon game.

Black for sure.

Guaranteed win for holding a draw.
Guaranteed win for winning the game.
Loss if you lose.

This forces white to play to avoid any line that allows you to trade down into endgames. The extra time given up isn't even time you can't spend thinking - since if your opponent uses it to consider the board, you can too. There's a whole pile of games on lichess won by carlsen after berserking as well, so time odds are not even unfamiliar to him as a concept.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
The most apt way for this match to finish would be all draws in the rapid and blitz games followed by a draw in the armageddon game to decide the winner. The most likely scenario is Carlsen finally winning a game during the blitz sessions since he is so much stronger than Caruana in that format.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Flayer posted:

The most apt way for this match to finish would be all draws in the rapid and blitz games followed by a draw in the armageddon game to decide the winner. The most likely scenario is Carlsen finally winning a game during the blitz sessions since he is so much stronger than Caruana in that format.

Gimme Carlsen +2 in the rapid.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In case anyone's curious just how good Carlsen is at fast time controls, here's a video of him playing 30-second games in a 1-minute bullet tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTEj4moaay0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
That's kind of inhuman. Are we sure Carlsen isn't an AI?

• Locked thread